Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-01-2018, 01:42 PM   #1

Atwood water heater issue

Hello friends,

So on my brand-new trailer, my Atwood water heater quit everything last night. No sounds, no gas flow, no spark, nothing. I'm 5 hours away from my dealer, but I will try to get a mobile tech out here soon (this is the holiday weekend up here).

Here's a picture of my heater from the outside. It's a gas/electric. Does anyone have any ideas about what I could try myself, before I call around for a tech on Tuesday?

thanks!

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5426.jpg  

Old 07-01-2018, 01:48 PM   #2

Does it work on electric? Check your connectors, one may have worked loose. Be sure to power the WH down first. Could be a control board failure.

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 01:49 PM   #3

Check that curved tube at the bottom of your photo to insure there is no spider nest inside. Also check the area around the small ceramic ignitor for spider webs.

Does your stove work? Do you get large flames on your stove when you turn a burner to high. If not your problem may be that you have tripped the excess flow device in your regulator. Turn off your propane tanks, wait ten minutes, make sure all gas appliance are off. Then very slowly open the propane tank valve. Once the valve is fully open, light your stove and let it run for a minute or two, then turn on your water heater and see if it will light.

Check the circuit breaker in the power panel to insure it is on. Also check the battery connections.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:50 PM   #4

Nothing on electric either. I've been looking around online, and I'm seeing many stories of the control board failing, and that Atwood knows that there have been many problems.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
Does your stove work? Do you get large flames on your stove when you turn a burner to high. If not your problem may be that you have tripped the excess flow device in your regulator. Turn off your propane tanks, wait ten minutes, make sure all gas appliance are off. Then very slowly open the propane tank valve. Once the valve is fully open, light your stove and let it run for a minute or two, then turn on your water heater and see if it will light.
Thanks, I'll try that right now. But would that have anything to do with no power on electric either? Last night, the red light on the switch for power or gas came on.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:04 PM   #6

Following your post because I am also having the same issues. When I used my new trailer 2 weeks ago everything was fine, now I have no hot water.
Skln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skln View Post
Following your post because I am also having the same issues. When I used my new trailer 2 weeks ago everything was fine, now I have no hot water.
In my own very amateur opinion, and based on what others have said on here and on YouTube, I think it's a faulty circuit board. I'm going to get a hold of a mobile RV tech, and also call a local dealer and see if they have a new board. How new is your trailer?
Old 07-01-2018, 05:42 PM   #8

My trailer is brand new. This is only the 2nd time we’ve used it. It all worked fine last time we were in it.
Skln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skln View Post
My trailer is brand new. This is only the 2nd time we’ve used it. It all worked fine last time we were in it.
Same here, I full-time in mine for the summer, just picked it up 10 days ago. I'm seeing online that there are many problems with the Atwood circuit board. Although I don't even hear any propane going through mine. We'll see. Water heaters have always been a pain for me.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:38 PM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Try to reset a couple of times on the switch panel. There should be a small dsl light beside the switch. Not all units have this hooked up. Best is to have one operating the switch and someone else listen at the water heather.

Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote