Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-25-2018, 02:40 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post

Yup. That’s the kit I bought last year. Two plugs, wrench and two tape. It’s definitely good to have around just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2018, 06:25 PM   #22

I bought this wrench. It works fine for the awkward placement of the plug.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-11633-W.../dp/B00BMRRZ94

6 Speed Manual
farnik78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:21 PM   #23

Does everyone realize when you drain the heat exchanger, you are leaving an open vessel exposed to a saturated environment completely exposed to oxygen which means rust. Far better to leave it full (no oxygen exposure) hence no rust.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Trailer_Newbe View Post
Does everyone realize when you drain the heat exchanger, you are leaving an open vessel exposed to a saturated environment completely exposed to oxygen which means rust. Far better to leave it full (no oxygen exposure) hence no rust.
Leaving it full of water not possible in freezing environments. We also are discussing Atwood water heaters which have an aluminum tank. So no rust.

My last Class C had an Atwood, emptied every Fall and left open. Had it from 2006 to early 2015, no problems at all with water heater.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:35 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Trailer_Newbe View Post

Lol

6 Speed Manual
farnik78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Leaving it full of water not possible in freezing environments. We also are discussing Atwood water heaters which have an aluminum tank. So no rust.

My last Class C had an Atwood, emptied every Fall and left open. Had it from 2006 to early 2015, no problems at all with water heater.
Wondering if most folks only drain them once at the end of the season or after each trip during the season?

Also, the plastic plug on my 377 WH has dripped since it was new. I'm wondering if it's an over tightening issue or a missing gaskit or something else?
Slurugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:46 PM   #27

Dripping Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurugger View Post
Wondering if most folks only drain them once at the end of the season or after each trip during the season?

Also, the plastic plug on my 377 WH has dripped since it was new. I'm wondering if it's an over tightening issue or a missing gaskit or something else?
Unless the threads are boogered-up, put a wrap or 3 of plumber's tape over them before you screw the plug back in. If the threads are boogered-up, you can replace the plug with a standard 1/2" pvc pipe plug from Lowes or HDepot. Usually under $1.

Good Camping Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 Jay Raven; Predator 3500i - We call Home Pearl River, Louisiana - edge of the Honey Island Swamp
IMG]https://www.jaycoowners.com/attachments/customavatars/avatar39547_3.gif[/IMG]
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:06 AM   #28

just want to say thank you to everyone for your great ideas, info, and advice!
Happy camping to everyone!!!
Old 03-26-2018, 06:21 PM   #29

My last class A and current TT has a brass bushing and brass petcock. It makes real easy to open and drain. Brass can't hurt, that's what the pressure relief valve is also.

Richard
Old 03-26-2018, 06:33 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakerEasy View Post
My last class A and current TT has a brass bushing and brass petcock. It makes real easy to open and drain. Brass can't hurt, that's what the pressure relief valve is also.

Richard
You are correct about the PRV, but I had a friend with a trailer that had an Atwood. His relief valve was seeping badly and in his attempts to remove it for replacement the tank bung actually broke from the tank! Fortunately Atwood replacement tanks are available, he was able to get back camping for less than a whole new HWH.

Now a brass drain plug removed (at least) annually may not suffer the same fate. So will a brass fitting create a huge problem? Probably not.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 06:51 PM   #31

Wow, that sucks. I guess I've been lucky. I had the Class A for 15 years.
I really hadn't had a problem but I use thread sealant. I had to replace the PRV once as well. Of course it was a special size!

I guess one could use a 1/2" x 1/4" Nylon Bushing then put the petcock in there. Just an idea. Its not really that hard removing the plastic plug either but I had a tendency to mess up the threads sometimes due to the wonderful placement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
You are correct about the PRV, but I had a friend with a trailer that had an Atwood. His relief valve was seeping badly and in his attempts to remove it for replacement the tank bung actually broke from the tank! Fortunately Atwood replacement tanks are available, he was able to get back camping for less than a whole new HWH.

Now a brass drain plug removed (at least) annually may not suffer the same fate. So will a brass fitting create a huge problem? Probably not.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:20 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurugger View Post

I’m seasonal. I don’t drain at all during the season. We use the camper every weekend.
Try a new plug.