Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-13-2021, 11:03 AM   #1

Axles

I'm looking at a 2020 in Jayco flight 183 RB . I'm wondering if the axles are still under rated on weight or if Jayco is using higher rated axles now. I keep seeing stories of axle issues and fried bearings on Jayco trailers. I plan on using it a lot and carrying cargo back that I source for my business. Thanks
JoetrailerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 11:26 AM   #2

There is probably a yellow sticker either on the driver side corner, for the entry door, or sometimes on one of the kitchen cabinet doors. It will have the actual weight of the trailer. Then look at the gross vehicular weight rating or GVWR. You will see how much cargo weight you can carry and it will also tell you pretty much which axles are under it. For example, if the trailer is rated for 7500 or so, then it is probably 3500 pound axles. They are rated a little higher than the axle total because some weight will be carried on the hitch.

I sort of doubt that heavier than needed axles have suddenly been being used. I bet they are still using the minimum.

Larry
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 12:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoetrailerT View Post
I'm looking at a 2020 in Jayco flight 183 RB . I'm wondering if the axles are still under rated on weight or if Jayco is using higher rated axles now. I keep seeing stories of axle issues and fried bearings on Jayco trailers. I plan on using it a lot and carrying cargo back that I source for my business. Thanks
The CCC is only rated for 850 lbs.
Old 07-13-2021, 04:27 PM   #4

Jayco seems to like 3500 lb axles on their light weight trailers. For some units, two 3500 lb axles are plenty. For others, such as my 27BHB with a GVWR of 7600 lbs, those axles are under capacity as far as I’m concerned. I know some of the weight is in the tongue, but still too close in capacity limit for my comfort.
bamorris is offline   Reply With Quote