Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-10-2020, 05:54 PM   #1

AZ sun protection

I live in Arizona and during the summer the side of my house where I want to store my trailer is about 7 feet from the sun.*

I am wondering how other people in Arizona protect their*trailer from the sun.*

Building a structure is out of the question, My plan is to make sure I have some good UV protectant*applied to the trailer and then I was planning to put a simple RV cover over it.*

I'm slightly worried that putting a cover on it will trap too much heat in the trailer and may cause me other problems
.*
Any words of wisdom would be helpful*
SuckyFisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 05:55 PM   #2

Is your trailer siding fiberglass or metal?
16WhiteColly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 06:07 PM   #3
CAG

LOL-Protect you trailer from the sun in Arizona? Good luck. Mine is in covered storage just for that reason. Generally you will see fading, oxidation and decal damage at about 3 years (or less) with daily afternoon exposure. My 2011 Cyclone was never stored outdoors and the new owner commented on how good it look when I sold it last year. There were two reasons for that.

I see some that are covered and I don't think you are going to see it be any hotter inside the rig with a cover on it. Keep buckets of water inside while stored to help with our very dry air. One issue with covers here is cover movement with wind and especially some of our summer Monsoon storms. The movement wears on areas that touch.

One of the best UV protection is with Rejex. Go to Rejex.com and look at the product and how it was developed. Some will jump in with other products but my vehicles, and my RVs have never seen anything but Rejex and when it came time to sell, I got lots of comments on how good the finish was considering the age. Remember, other than Australia, we have the highest skin cancer rate in the world and there is a reason for that. UV.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 06:07 PM   #4
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post
Is your trailer siding fiberglass or metal?

Does not matter here. One will damage just as quickly as the other.

Old 12-10-2020, 08:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Does not matter here. One will damage just as quickly as the other.
Yup indeedee
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 12:27 AM   #6

Our summers are comparable to yours — scorching. I keep ours covered until we hit the road during the summer. That hasn’t caused any problems inside — if anything it keeps it a little cooler, i think. I do put the reflectix foil-foam panels in the windows, which helps. Ours is aluminum and I keep it well-waxed, including the decals. They still look like new. I know some use 303 protectant on the roof, but I haven’t done that yet. Best protection is to get out of Dodge during the summer!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 12:22 PM   #7

Oh what a difference a short drive makes! I am in Prescott and my biggest exposure worry is the little snow we get...

yes, snow in Arizona...
Old 12-11-2020, 12:30 PM   #8

X2 on Reflectix duct wrap (foil covered bubble wrap type product) in my windows and bath skylight. Stays much cooler inside and eliminates fading and deterioration of the window shades and interior areas.

I did have a cover but it was such a hassle to put on and off and mice found it a handy way to get up to the fridge vents and inside.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 12:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
...I did have a cover but it was such a hassle to put on and off and mice found it a handy way to get up to the fridge vents and inside.
Ouch. Another thing to worry about!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 01:07 PM   #10
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisbn View Post
Oh what a difference a short drive makes! I am in Prescott and my biggest exposure worry is the little snow we get...

yes, snow in Arizona...
Your problem won’t be the few inches you get there. It’s gone in two days anyway. Your issue is the sun also. It is not the heat it is the Latitude. Trust me. If you were in Flagstaff or Show Low maybe snow but even then we do not get the snow we got 20-30 years ago.

Old 12-11-2020, 05:45 PM   #11

For 4 1/2 years, I have used Marine 31 Gel Coat Spray Wax on the metal siding and 303 Aerospace Cleaner and Protectorant on the TPO Roof. Both still look great. Happy with those two products.
Old 12-11-2020, 05:59 PM   #12
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post
For 4 1/2 years, I have used Marine 31 Gel Coat Spray Wax on the metal siding and 303 Aerospace Cleaner and Protectorant on the TPO Roof. Both still look great. Happy with those two products.

The test is Arizona.

Old 12-11-2020, 06:44 PM   #13

Texas is bad enough for me. I also have covered storage.
Old 12-12-2020, 09:28 AM   #14

well thank you everyone
SuckyFisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 01:10 PM   #15

I actually bought a black mesh tarp from HFT and have been impressed with how it has held up... my thought (correct or not??) is it helps reduce UV damage and allows air flow and the rare rain to evaporate... my full on cover trapped moisture and caused bubbles in my roof coating... Jeff from Scottsdale AZ!
3belkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 01:22 PM   #16

I have used 303 followed by a quick detailing gloss and had good results leaving it all year in Mesa AZ
GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:47 PM   #17

In Florida I use a mesh tarp to help reduce heat and UV problems. Been working good for 2 years, allways leave roof vents open. They are the Max Air type.
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 04:48 PM   #18

Friends of ours had their RV cover torn to shreds in the winds of the SW desert.
We are building a house in Las Cruces, NM and will winter there, then do the reverse snowbird thing for most of the year. We are on the waiting list for local covered enclosed storage since the house is in a cookie-cutter subdivision with no chance of storage on-property. It's not cheap but we've seen too many rigs well maintained but still chalked out and looking poor for their age. I wash/wax regularly with Aerocosmetics WashWax All and use their Rubber Care product for all tires and slide seals. I will look into the Rejex.

Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:22 PM   #19
CAG

While we do get some pretty nasty winds here, mostly during the Monsoon, the average wind for the Phoenix area is around 14mph. As a rule the daily wind is less. You really cannot compare the Valley of the Sun with the Las Cruces area. That is a pretty flat windy location. We are in a valley, as the name suggests and we don't get the straight winds.

I have used Rejex for years on every vehicle I own. Only way to go.

Old 12-25-2020, 09:43 AM   #20

Interesting the different measures we have to take in different parts of the country to protect our trailers. You’re adding buckets of water to keep in the trailer to drive in moisture, in the northeast we’re adding buckets of damp rid to drive moisture out.
shloubrew is offline   Reply With Quote