Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-22-2019, 11:29 PM   #1

Back up camera

Hello all and thanks for the warm welcome. I am a fairly new member and this is my first thread. My wife and I (both retired) purchased a 2018 24 BHWS last year and a 2018 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost with max tow package. Our maiden voyage last summer from Yuba City, Ca to Waynesboro, Pa and return was outstanding with no major issues. However, I did feel a bit uncomfortable backing up the trailer and running down the highway with little vision of what was behind me. Can anyone recommend a reliable back up camera system that is reasonably priced but does the job during parking as well as highway operations? The trailer is not wired for camera, so am considering a wireless unit??? Thanks so much for your thoughts and expertise.
USAF retired cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:18 AM   #2

Welcome! I'm new here too and also a retired LEO. I'm on my 2nd coach and I'll be finishing my 2nd Tadibrothers.com camera install tomorrow. They are reasonably priced, great quality cameras with superb customer service! Lots of options on their website so take your time and learn all you can.

1GreatScouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:32 AM   #3

Welcome to JOF! I'm running the Furrion observation camera I pick it up on Amazon and if you do think about getting one don't get the back up camera but the observation one it is more powerful and want cut out.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:17 AM   #4

I second the Furrion Observation camera. The observation camera works as you travel down the road, the backup camera only works when backing up. The camera has worked flawlessly over the 2 years we've had it.

My trailer wasn't pre-wired so I tapped into a marker light. There are a couple of threads that show how to install a camera if your rig isn't pre-wired.
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:31 AM   #5

I installed this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...SIN=B0762LMTK2

It's powered by the circuit that powers the trailer running lights on my 32.5' travel trailer and sends a wireless signal to the monitor mounted in my F-250. It's half the price of the Furrion unit but does the job. I've had it less than a year and only used it on two trips but it's been reliable (two 1 second signal drops in four hours of driving) and is very helpful on the road, especially for passing and moving back into the lane, for seeing what is directly behind you.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:20 PM   #6

That one is nice whichever you go with you will love it, the wife and I took a 3000 miles trip last summer and I couldn't imagine being without one
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:09 PM   #7

Dittos on what Big1 said! It's especially helpful in navigating through cities and their spaghetti like freeways and the need to make lane changes. Made our trip through Salt Lake City manageable on our way to Yellowstone.
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:32 AM   #8

I bought one on Amazon and found out after the fact that I needed a mount. I have the Furrion pre wired location on the back. I went to tadibrothers who makes a mount for this location and it worked great. Only issue I had was the signal loss while driving. I contacted the customer service and they were great. They sent me at no charge an extra antenna with long cord so I can have both antennas outside to talk to each other. I have yet to try this, but I can't wait. Loss of signal was just the distance between the camera and the monitor inside the vehicle. I am longer than you though with the 28BHS. Probably around 35' to 38' apart. When it did pick up signal though, I couldn't agree more how handy it was.

Thank you all for your service!!!

2019 RAM Big Horn 1500 5.7 Hemi

2019 Jayflight 28BHS - SOLD
2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crew Max -Retired
SE Michigan
justlb33 is offline   Reply With Quote