Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-13-2017, 09:13 AM   #1

Ball lock

Hi,

For years I've been using one of these yellow Reese locks to help secure my campers.

My first Jayco has a larger 'flange' below the ball chamber that won't let my old Reese lock slide over (it's wider than my previous receivers).

I've always used a hitch pin lock, but I like the extra security of a ball lock.

Do you folks have any suggestions on what type of ball lock to use?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0104.jpg   IMG_0105.JPG  

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:07 AM   #2

Check youtube. There is a video showing that exact lock being removed in a few seconds with an ordinary wrecking bar. There are other videos comparing how long it takes to remove most brands. The point is even the best can be removed in no more than a minute or two.

The ultimate lock might be a wheel clamp lock that also covers the lug nuts. But that would set you back a couple hundred bucks.
retiredtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:16 AM   #3

I wonder about something like this. There is no place to pry or cut when it’s locked.
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Loc...d/AT89006.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlackDak View Post
I wonder about something like this. There is no place to pry or cut when it’s locked.
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Loc...d/AT89006.html
Had a similar Master tongue lock, the key broke in the lock so a few good hits with a 3 pound hammer bent the pin and it fell off. After that I came to the conclusion all these locks are worthless so needless to say I don't use them anymore.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Had a similar Master tongue lock, the key broke in the lock so a few good hits with a 3 pound hammer bent the pin and it fell off. After that I came to the conclusion all these locks are worthless so needless to say I don't use them anymore.

Locks only stop an honest person. Includes your house, car, trailer, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:16 AM   #6

I remember a post a few years ago about a guy who had put his name in 4" high letters on top of his RV's A/C cover. Sure enough, someone stole his RV. Fortunately, he lived in a metro area where the police had a helicopter. They spotted it in a fenced and locked lot not too far away. I guess the lot owner claimed he didn't know it was there. Yeah, right.

Being overly cautious (ok bordering on paranoid), I've put my name on the top of my A/C on my last two trailers. What the heck. It only costs a couple dollars for self-stick letters.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:36 AM   #7

On the roof of our previous motorhome the PO had their FMCA number applied in large black letters.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtech View Post
I remember a post a few years ago about a guy who had put his name in 4" high letters on top of his RV's A/C cover. Sure enough, someone stole his RV. Fortunately, he lived in a metro area where the police had a helicopter. They spotted it in a fenced and locked lot not too far away. I guess the lot owner claimed he didn't know it was there. Yeah, right.

Being overly cautious (ok bordering on paranoid), I've put my name on the top of my A/C on my last two trailers. What the heck. It only costs a couple dollars for self-stick letters.
That is a great idea nobody who steals is ambitious enough to check out the roof...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by John from Central Florida View Post
Hi,

For years I've been using one of these yellow Reese locks to help secure my campers.

My first Jayco has a larger 'flange' below the ball chamber that won't let my old Reese lock slide over (it's wider than my previous receivers).

I've always used a hitch pin lock, but I like the extra security of a ball lock.

Do you folks have any suggestions on what type of ball lock to use?

Thanks!
I use this on my 2016 27DSRL but the tongue does not seem overly wide?

https://www.amazon.com/Trimax-UMAX50...ler+hitch+lock

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:18 PM   #10

Same issue here with the yellow Reese coupler lock not being wide enough. I bought the Trimax UMAX 100 off Amazon for $45. It fits the wider coupler of my 2017 Jay Flight SLX 265RLSW.

Concur that locks only keep honest people honest. Dedicated and motivated thieves will find a way to take what they want. I run a heavy chain with a lock through the wheels as well. My TT sits in my driveway so this gives me peace of mind that someone couldn’t just back up, hook up and go.

Trimax UMAX100 Premium Universal 'Solid Hardened Steel' Trailer Lock (fits all couplers) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OC3Q2I..._BFymAbPGQ8EV9
ricemanwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:23 PM   #11

Thanks, friends, for the quick replies.

I'm going to give Trimax a whirl.

I also believe a lock only slows a thief down, but if I can cost him some time he may move on to a camper that's not protected.

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 06:57 AM   #12

The problem with most tongue locks is battery operated grinder like the Dewalt. They make short work of the metal locks. I am thinking about how to disable or lock the front jack so you could not raise it. How about locking your stabilizer jacks down.The thief would need a jack. Hard to tow with the front jack down. When I tow my small utility trailer I pad lock the safety chains to the vehicle. When parked I wrap the chains around the front then pad lock them so they cannot be used. Police might notice a trailer without safety chains attached.
putz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:06 AM   #13

Just an FYI y'all...I had to move my "neighbors" trailer in the storage lot one time because he parked over the imaginary line and I couldn't get mine in. He had a ball lock on, so all I did was take a tow strap and wrap it around the tongue and my hitch and moved his trailer. Also his trailer had a wheel on the tongue jack, so I didn't need to move it up/down. All these locks do is slow them down or make them look for an easier target...But for how much some of these locks cost, it's cheap peace of mind!
Old 12-15-2017, 08:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricemanwm View Post
Same issue here with the yellow Reese coupler lock not being wide enough. I bought the Trimax UMAX 100 off Amazon for $45. It fits the wider coupler of my 2017 Jay Flight SLX 265RLSW.

Concur that locks only keep honest people honest. Dedicated and motivated thieves will find a way to take what they want. I run a heavy chain with a lock through the wheels as well. My TT sits in my driveway so this gives me peace of mind that someone couldn’t just back up, hook up and go.

Trimax UMAX100 Premium Universal 'Solid Hardened Steel' Trailer Lock (fits all couplers) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OC3Q2I..._BFymAbPGQ8EV9

I got the same one. I also put on a lock that goes around the wheel (I have lug locks just need to install them) and changed out the pin lock with a master key one that is harder for people to cut with bolt cutters. I dont do this to stop a thef, I do so the thef looks at my trailer and the poor sap next to me who hasn't done all that, and the thef thinks it just way too much work to take mine and he can quickly take the guys next to me.

You don't have to out run a bear.... You just have to outrun the guy next to you
StupendousMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:48 AM   #15

Don't forget, a lot of tandem wheel chocks can be padlocked. Just something else to slow the bad guys down, especially if they are real tight. Plus lowering the tongue as low as possible and removing the jack fuse or battery.

I don't use a hitch lock anymore, but if I did I wouldn't waste my time or money on anything under say $100. Instead, I'd go for something like one of these bad boys.
https://besttrailerlocks.com/
TWL100 - TRIMAX Locks