Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-15-2021, 03:22 PM   #21

I have the same Westinghouse generator as a backup for our Alante and for use around the house in case of power outages and when using power tools outside.
Yamaha XT250
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:24 PM   #22

Put a meter on the battery when the lights go out and see what the voltage is under load
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:57 PM   #23

The inverter itself pulls wattage
mikehoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 08:26 PM   #24

Battery power loss

I have a 185 RB almost same trailer No solor panels ....... I use a CPap every night with a single RV battery........ First make sure trailer is plugged in 24 hours before your trip as to top off the charge ..... Then run generator for 1 hour at dinner time every night ...... You can be out forever doing this procedure !!! WE LOVE OUR TRAILER !!!
SAMM Kinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 06:15 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers View Post
We have a JayFlight SLX 7 195RB. I like to pick my campsite for the view and privacy, so we hardly ever have a site with electric. We have an interstate hd24 marine/rv battery and a Renogy 100 Watt solar panel, monocrystalline panels, so they charge even on cloudy days.

The problem we have been experiencing is that when I am showering or doing dishes(running the pump) my lights and fan take a dive and go off. My volts are above 12/13, is this an amp problem? Would two 6v golf cart batteries solve this problem. We did just purchase the Westinghouse 2200/1800 inverter generator, but I am an early riser and like to shower first thing in the morning, well before the 9am generator run time.

Thanks in advance for any help!
I looked up a 12 volt converter for my cpap and it pulls 5 to 8.5 amps every hour not counting your fan running all night. If your CPAP was plugged into 120 volt that was pulling even more while it changed 12 volt to 120. I had a battery like yours in my old Jayco and I added another one of the same size to give me more power. I bought a lug crimper and made my own cables so they were just the right size. I removed the battery when I sold it and it now powers a trolling motor, but not well it doesn't have a lot of power. I now have two size 27s, when they go bad I'll get 31s or lithium
Old 09-16-2021, 10:06 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
I looked up a 12 volt converter for my cpap and it pulls 5 to 8.5 amps every hour not counting your fan running all night. If your CPAP was plugged into 120 volt that was pulling even more while it changed 12 volt to 120. I had a battery like yours in my old Jayco and I added another one of the same size to give me more power. I bought a lug crimper and made my own cables so they were just the right size. I removed the battery when I sold it and it now powers a trolling motor, but not well it doesn't have a lot of power. I now have two size 27s, when they go bad I'll get 31s or lithium
Bill Johnson .... I do NOT use a converter or the brick that came with my cpap ... My and many Cpaps are 12 volts so I made a wire to hook it to a cig lighter adapter .. draws very little power .... The big black brick that came with my cpap changes 12 volts to 110 volts ....eliminate it
SAMM Kinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 10:40 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM Kinder View Post
Bill Johnson .... I do NOT use a converter or the brick that came with my cpap ... My and many Cpaps are 12 volts so I made a wire to hook it to a cig lighter adapter .. draws very little power .... The big black brick that came with my cpap changes 12 volts to 110 volts ....eliminate it
I have a ResMed air sense 10 and it shows 24 volts at 3.75 amps so mine would need an adaptor, it shows the adaptor needs a minimum of 8.3 amps. I would be fine with the 12 volt adaptor drawing 8.3 amps for 8 hours because I have two 100ah batteries to draw from. It would be interesting to connect one of those meters on amazon that show amp draw on the battery and I think they can check how many amps are used over time. https://www.amazon.com/Multifunction...7T9LV66P&psc=1
Old 09-16-2021, 11:51 AM   #28

Observation:
First, I confess that I didn't read all the replies. Sorry if this repeats.

If there is ANY sun to speak of, your solar charge controller will read what's happening at the solar panel...NOT what's happening at the battery. The same is true of the chinzy LED battery status readout on the rig's switch panel. The fact that your system is CHARGING via the solar panel will confuse things. If you don't have one, consider investing in a proper voltage meter for the battery. But that won't solve your current (pun intended) problem.

What you are experiencing is NOT right. At most, your pump should draw about 7 amps +/-. This leaves PLENTY of power for lights and so on.

Bad connections and/or a bad battery may be the culprit. As others have said, chasing down bad connections can be quite a challenge. Several mentioned the ground wire to the frame...and I'll second that.

Another possibility that may have been mentioned is a loose connection at some point...most likely your converter. Fortunately, it's easy to pull the converter and check all the screw terminals on the back. Disconnect the battery and shore power first.

Don't forget that your battery wires generally go through a junction box usually located under the propane tanks. These are NOT weather-tight boxes...just the standard metal box with a security cover that is not sealed in any way. If chasing down corrosion, open that box and verify that the connections are solid and clean...sometimes there are even regular old wire nuts in there!

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...0&d=1580115758

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...1&d=1619295456

This guy's post might be helpful: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post966519

Good luck.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote