Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-21-2020, 08:03 AM   #1
Nan

Black hose cleaning

How do you clean your sewer hose? Is running water through enough?
Nan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:11 AM   #2

If you are doing black dump, black flush, then gray when you dump, it’s about as clean as it needs to be.
This assumes the gray is just water and soap, and you’re not letting a bunch of food get into the gray.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:07 AM   #3

Does your RV black tank have a rinser? The last 2 Jayco RVs we've owned had them. After dumping the black tank, I just close the valve and turn on the water to the black tank rinse. I let it fill up the tank about 1/2 - 2/3s full and dump again. Rinse and repeat. Then follow up with the gray tank. You can also buy wands to rinse the black tank if you do not have an in tank rinse.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:16 AM   #4
Site Team

We use a sewer hose rinser like this. Screws onto your water hose, and twists onto the sewer hose. It works well.

https://www.newegg.com/p/0FB-05BH-00...9SIAP81BKB3398

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 12:28 PM   #5

Like the other responses I do a pretty good rinse when breaking down. I keep my hoses in a plastic tub with locking lid in the bed of the TV. Once home I take the tub out back and fill it with a bleach/water solution, probably 2:10 which is double the recommendation for cleaning up blood borne pathogens. I make sure the hoses and fittings are submerged and full, dump, rinse and air dry. Takes all of about 20 minutes and after dry - back in to the TV.

2018 Jay Flight SLX 195RB
2014 Ford Flex (retired)
2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Dbl Cab 5.7L
Boooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 08:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlackDak View Post
If you are doing black dump, black flush, then gray when you dump, it’s about as clean as it needs to be.
This assumes the gray is just water and soap, and you’re not letting a bunch of food get into the gray.
This is my routine as well.
NCMFFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 10:31 AM   #7

I dump the black tank, run the black tank flush and then dump the gray tank. I agree with the others that say after dumping the gray tank the hose is as clean as it needs to be. I've been doing it this way for seven years and haven't had any issues with bad smell or build up of any kind.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 11:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
I dump the black tank, run the black tank flush and then dump the gray tank. I agree with the others that say after dumping the gray tank the hose is as clean as it needs to be. I've been doing it this way for seven years and haven't had any issues with bad smell or build up of any kind.

I'm going to disagree with this some, due to type of Rhino hose I used which extends and compresses. I don't feel that, especially at a dump station, rinsing with the gray tank water is sufficient as this style hose is most likely not expanded all the way out and particles may hide in the crevices. I always expanded the hoses fully once I got home and rinsed them very well with a hose nozzle. Did the same with fittings and then sprayed everything with Lysol before putting them away.

pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 12:06 PM   #9

I just do the typical black tank flush followed by gray tank emptying to give the hose a final rinse.

That's clean enough for me. It goes into a black tote box with a hinged lid, where we also keep our Rhino see-through adapter.

I'm sure the inside of the hose is filthy. But, why would I care? The outside is relatively clean, and whenever I handle it, I'm wearing rubber gloves.

I see no issue here.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 12:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pward View Post
I'm going to disagree with this some, due to type of Rhino hose I used which extends and compresses. I don't feel that, especially at a dump station, rinsing with the gray tank water is sufficient as this style hose is most likely not expanded all the way out and particles may hide in the crevices. I always expanded the hoses fully once I got home and rinsed them very well with a hose nozzle. Did the same with fittings and then sprayed everything with Lysol before putting them away.
To each his own. My thinking would be any particles that enter crevices while dumping the black are going to get removed when dumping the gray tank. Beyond that spraying water from a hose is NOT going to rinse every inch of a 20-25 foot Rhino hose. The first few feet of the Rhino hose may get sprayed around the whole circumference of the hose but after that areas at the top side of the hose aren't touched.
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote