Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-24-2022, 04:41 PM   #1

Black tank troubles

HELP!
When emptying black tank this morning, heard a loud whoosh as it began to empty. I could see waste going down. Wife starts screaming the toilet is overflowing and light murky water was pouring out of toilet. She push petal and I closed the tank right away.

We had water all over the bathroom and bedroom water was flowing into the heating duct and out of the bottom of the camper. There was close to an inch or more water in our bedroom. It started to come into the living area. Waited almost another hour b/f trying to flush it out again- no problems that time.

I did flushed it the day b/f b/c toilet was blocked. We unplugged it and I washed out the black tank no problem.

Any help/advice appreciated… not sure what I did -

ALSO- I looked at the underbelly where it was pouring out of and push it a little and water came out. Now I’m worried about my undercarriage.
Sheski2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 04:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheski2 View Post
HELP!
When emptying black tank this morning, heard a loud whoosh as it began to empty. I could see waste going down. Wife starts screaming the toilet is overflowing and light murky water was pouring out of toilet. She push petal and I closed the tank right away.

We had water all over the bathroom and bedroom water was flowing into the heating duct and out of the bottom of the camper. There was close to an inch or more water in our bedroom. It started to come into the living area. Waited almost another hour b/f trying to flush it out again- no problems that time.

I did flushed it the day b/f b/c toilet was blocked. We unplugged it and I washed out the black tank no problem.

Any help/advice appreciated… not sure what I did -

ALSO- I looked at the underbelly where it was pouring out of and push it a little and water came out. Now I’m worried about my undercarriage.
I'm assuming from your description that you had the black flush hooked up, and filling the black tank up.

The rule of thumb that I use is this: when it's EMPTY or not much in it, like after a weekend of camping, I ONLY run the black flush for 5 minutes. Then, I drain, and I run it for 5-7 minutes. We're fortunate that our indicators still work on our black tank, and I stop filling when it gets to full or 5 minutes whichever comes first.

As for spilling out, as long as you can get your floor pretty dried out, I wouldn't be too concerned about, but I'm also assuming that you didn't have a lot of nasty sewer water that came out either.

For what it's worth, I understand what you were dealing with, with the clog. For whatever reason, our Pinnacle has done that one us twice, and we've never had another RV ever do that to us, and before anyone asks, YES, we do run a lot of water down there, and do NOT have a poop dome. We've gotten lucky both times that it was plugged, because I filled the black tank up with the wash, and then it had enough force to adequately drain.

Good luck getting yours all sorted out...
Old 10-24-2022, 05:09 PM   #3

Thank you for your quick and detailed reply.

Someone suggested some how we might have caused some pressurization?
Sheski2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 05:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheski2 View Post
Thank you for your quick and detailed reply.

Someone suggested some how we might have caused some pressurization?
Don't quote me on this, but I think that the only way that could have happened would have been if you would have plugged up your main vent stack coming out of the top of the RV.

Were you running the black flush? If the tank was completely full, that could blocked off the vent stack as well, which could have caused over pressurization.
Old 10-25-2022, 05:39 PM   #5

Newby

Funny story new camper first trip asked nephew to connect fresh water line heard noise after 10 min coming from bathroom hit the toilet petal OH NO water in the face he hooked it up to the flush valve.
LOL thank god it was new and never used.
Attleboro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 05:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attleboro1 View Post
Funny story new camper first trip asked nephew to connect fresh water line heard noise after 10 min coming from bathroom hit the toilet petal OH NO water in the face he hooked it up to the flush valve.
LOL thank god it was new and never used.
Not funny for sure....

That same thing happened to our daughter and SIL with their first new camper..
cadman_ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 05:53 PM   #7

When it starts coming out the roof vent do not open the toilet valve LOL.
Attleboro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 06:22 PM   #8

Unrelated but related. We were camping next to a toy hauler by a different manufacturer. They had previously had a Montana. When he pulled the black tank and added the water to rinse, it flooded the upstairs bathroom and into the basement. From what they were explaining, on the Montana, the black tanks are "connected" so when one gets full it goes to the other. They presumed this unit was the same. It took them 5 days to get the basement cleaned up and dried out. Luckily the weather was decent so they could keep the windows opened while they were disinfecting the insides.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote