Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-01-2020, 12:16 PM   #1

Blocking up trailer

We just bought a 32 bhds. It is going on a seasonal site. I plan on some patio stones or wood under the tires and adding extra supports under the frame to take any movement out of the trailer. I have heard some people place the trailer on cinder block to take some weight off the springs and tires. Is there any benefit to this? If the trailer wasn't on a seasonal site the weight would always be on the spring and tires.
Coghlin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coghlin71 View Post
We just bought a 32 bhds. It is going on a seasonal site. I plan on some patio stones or wood under the tires and adding extra supports under the frame to take any movement out of the trailer. I have heard some people place the trailer on cinder block to take some weight off the springs and tires. Is there any benefit to this? If the trailer wasn't on a seasonal site the weight would always be on the spring and tires.
A couple of thoughts. Solid blocks are much stronger than hollow core. If you stack them, you should lay them 2 by 2 and turning each layer. They are usually 8 inch by 16 inches to allow this. I would "tie" them at the top with a length of 2 by 10 to protect the frame. Also, I would give some serious thought about the foundation/driveway. It should be level and strong. You would be giving up the use of safety chocks which is a big draw back. Personally I just park on 2 by 10 boards and cover the rubber on the sunny sides.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:57 PM   #3

The big benefit of blocking the frame is to reduce the shaking as you walk around.

If you use cinder blocks, do not place them on there side.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 01:05 PM   #4

I have a solid pad and will have extra supports to remove any shake. My big issue is taking the weight off the springs. I think this is more personal preference as I haven't read anything definitive either for our against it?
Coghlin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:39 PM   #5

Quote:
I have a solid pad and will have extra supports to remove any shake. My big issue is taking the weight off the springs. I think this is more personal preference as I haven't read anything definitive either for our against it?
Taking load off of the tires could be a good thing. I know that tires can get a "deformation memory" where it takes a little time to get smooth out again. I haven't noticed it with trailers, but I have with other vehicles. Regarding springs, it is my understanding that they are unaffected by time. Steel is permanently affected when the elastic limit is exceeded.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 10:38 PM   #6

If it were mine and on a seasonal site I would support it like a mobile home and use 8x8 timbers just short of 8’ & 8x8 blocking up to the frame and shims as needed. The timbers would be about every 6’ apart for the full length of the trailer. Don’t forget to take the tires off and store them out of the weather. But remember this is just me and been there and done that.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:07 AM   #7

Here's what they recommend for "long term storage" which is basically what you're doing.

Place your vehicle on blocks to remove the weight from the tires. If the vehicle can’t be put on blocks, make sure the storage surface is firm, clean, well-drained and reasonably level.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:12 AM   #8

Quote:
If you want to get rid of any shake, you will need to raise the tires off the ground. As long as there is any travel in the suspension, the TT will move. Get the wheels off the ground, then the suspension can't move the trailer. Even so, you may get some shake when the kids are moving around on their bunks. Our Destination Trailer is 40' with 4 slides, the bunkhouse has 2 opposing slides. When our older teen kids are moving around in their bunks, the TT still has a little shimmy. I only notice it when in bed.

Our park requires the tires stay on the trailer, but they can be off the ground. So we raised the TT and put a tower of cinder blocks in front of the axles and behind the axles. Then another tower half way between the axles and the rear and front of the TT. We still used the Stabilizer Jacks as well. Our TT was solid after that, but it did shake a little when the kids were moving a lot in their bunks.

Leaving the wheels hanging won't hurt the suspension.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote