Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-08-2019, 11:18 AM   #1

Boy do I feel stupid!

My wife and I had our 2020 Jayco Eagle 332cbok out for the first time this weekend. We were dry camping so I had my Powerhorse 7500 generator to run everything, and it did a great job. It was a very hot weekend in Texas, but both a/c units ran and kept things cool.

However, Saturday afternoon, my wife was watching tv inside as I did somethings outside. After a bit, she came out and asked if I had done something to the trailer. I asked why and she said because we had no lights working. I went inside and checked. Sure enough, no lights would come on, the a/c thermostates wouldn't work, nothing running off 12v was working. It was now getting hot inside, even though the a/c runs off the 110/220 the thermostats apparently are powered by 12v. I grabbed a flashlight and started checking breakers and fuses but found nothing.

It was after 4:30 on Saturday so the call I made to the dealership went unanswered. As I stood outside cursing and wondering what could be causing this problem, I glanced at the storage compartment. Something looked odd there and then it hit me! I had somehow bumped the battery disconnect switch and turned the battery power off! I turned it back to on, and everything started working again!

Well, I guess this just reinforces what I've always said. When something isn't working, ALWAYS check the simplest things first!!
mbell5263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:35 AM   #2

See, Wife even knew you did something!
2005 F150 Platinum/Roush Package

WHERE EVER YOU GO....THERE YOU ARE
dennis b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis b View Post
See, Wife even knew you did something!
Haha....True. But it had been 20 minutes since I had been in the storage compartment. Took her that long to notice! Had she noticed right away I'd probably have looked there first.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:52 PM   #4

Beats a trip to the dealer to tell them you were stupid lol! Mark it up as a learning experience and I’ll bet you check there first next time!
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:10 PM   #5

I'm sure youre not the first.. but at least you posted about it, for others who may go down the same road.

Thanks for that

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
Beats a trip to the dealer to tell them you were stupid lol! Mark it up as a learning experience and I’ll bet you check there first next time!
True! LOL
Old 10-08-2019, 02:53 PM   #7

The important thing here is to figure out how to blame the wife for the problem rather than yourself. Maybe she shook the trailer too much or turned the 12 volt items on in the incorrect sequence.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
The important thing here is to figure out how to blame the wife for the problem rather than yourself. Maybe she shook the trailer too much or turned the 12 volt items on in the incorrect sequence.
I've been trying to come up with something for 2 days! I'm open to any and all ideas. I was outside moving things in and out of the storage while she was inside watching tv. So far, all I have is that she should have told me immediately and I would have KNOWN I had just been in the storage and nothing else. By waiting, she caused me to not think about it....so HER fault.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:26 PM   #9
Site Team

snip...[QUOTE=mbell5263;800075 By waiting, she caused me to not think about it....so HER fault. [/QUOTE]

Let us know how THAT works out for ya!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 03:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
snip...

Let us know how THAT works out for ya!
Yeah...it hasn't.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:34 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to wilderness john Send a message via MSN to wilderness john
That is an excellent plan!!!
wilderness john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:56 AM   #12

One time I was working on my RV and I was sitting on the first step inside the RV with my legs hanging outside. When I was finished I closed my door and my steps did not go back in, I freaked out for a few moments, (now what the hell is wrong with this thing)!. And I calmly said OK what makes the steps go in and out when you close the door, the magnet on the screen door! I must of knocked it off of with my big fat butt, the magnet fell down and magnetized itself to the bottom of the outdoor steps!. Some fixes are easy when you don’t freak out!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:53 PM   #13

Funny! Glad you got it figured out and it was simple !
timnsusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:58 PM   #14

Crap happens

For me, everything that went wrong in the future, if a tire went flat, she'd be asking, are you sure you didn't bump something?
Octane2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane2Go View Post
For me, everything that went wrong in the future, if a tire went flat, she'd be asking, are you sure you didn't bump something?
Mine will probably say something like "Well, I'm sure it's something simple. What did you do recently?"
Old 10-16-2019, 01:23 PM   #16

Join the club. I suspect flipping that battery disconnect happens much more often than anyone admits. Not quite sure why it’s placed in a vulnerable position or is so easy to flip. Ours in our 2014 Greyhawk 31FS is right next to the door next to the awning control. I’ve accidentally flipped the power when extending or retracting the awning. Bringing in supplies or groceries it’s easy to put packages on the floor and again the switch works too easily. The last time, it cost me $45 bucks to have a mobile RV mechanic research the no power problem until he noticed that blasted switch was off. Now I have one or those outdoor electrical box covers on the switch and it cannot be shut off accidentally. The switch is too easy to operate and poorly placed. One wonders why designers do such foolish things.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forelyndogs View Post
Join the club. I suspect flipping that battery disconnect happens much more often than anyone admits. Not quite sure why it’s placed in a vulnerable position or is so easy to flip. Ours in our 2014 Greyhawk 31FS is right next to the door next to the awning control. I’ve accidentally flipped the power when extending or retracting the awning. Bringing in supplies or groceries it’s easy to put packages on the floor and again the switch works too easily. The last time, it cost me $45 bucks to have a mobile RV mechanic research the no power problem until he noticed that blasted switch was off. Now I have one or those outdoor electrical box covers on the switch and it cannot be shut off accidentally. The switch is too easy to operate and poorly placed. One wonders why designers do such foolish things.
Mine is in the forward outside storage compartment. The strange thing is, you can remove the "key" like switch when it's off but not when it is on.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:12 PM   #18

"occum's razor"................basically, the simplest solution is usually correct.

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid.
Av8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:03 AM   #19

Send a message via AIM to wilderness john Send a message via MSN to wilderness john
sounds like excellent logic to me
wilderness john is offline   Reply With Quote