Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-03-2022, 06:06 PM   #1

Brake magnet verses brake lining

Brakes seemed rather weak on our 195RB. I turned up the brake controller and there was no change. I removed one drum for inspection. Based on what I've read, if the magnet is not showing 4 little inspection holes, it's time for brake service. The brake linings are over 3/16". The star wheel adjuster is working and the clearance seemed proper.

Is the magnet non-functioning at this point? Should I R&R the magnet or the entire assembly? Other options?

Thanks,
tbone!
Attached Thumbnails
Magnet.jpg   Brake Lining.jpg  
tbone! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 08:18 PM   #2

I'd go with all new brake assemblies. Individual parts are expensive, but for a little more you can get the entire assemblies. Easier to install, too.

https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=brake+assemblies

It would be a good time to service the bearings, maybe even replace them with new. When I did that job on mine, I upgraded the brake electrical wires to a heavier gauge for better (I hope) performance.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 08:32 PM   #3

And if there's a lot of wear and/or grooving on the drum, where the magnet runs against it, it should be replaced too.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 09:39 PM   #4

It’s hard to tell from your pic but the shoes appear to have very little wear but the magnet does show some. Check the contact area in the drum for wear from the shoes and magnet. If you move the magnet by hand do the shoes expand? Might be worth putting 12V to the magnet and see it it will attract something metal (wrench, screwdriver . . .). As Smoker suggests, buying a complete assembly is the best way to go and this is a perfect time to service the bearings. I’m not a fan of replacing bearings unless there is wear, pitting, discoloration on the race and/or cone. Our 5th is 8 yrs old and the China made bearings looked great last time I serviced them. They are due a removal, cleaning and inspection this season and I will see how that goes.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 04:37 AM   #5

One thing to check might be all the connections for the brake wiring. Start at the junction box on the front A-frame and work your way back to each brake. Could be a loose or corroded connection knocking down the voltage. As I recall, brake wires are daisy chained meaning that the wire goes to one brake then the next and so on. Any bad connection could lead to a problem at all wheels.

If that doesn't do it, check your brake controller wiring to ensure it is functioning properly.

After that I would second others that it might be time to just replace the brakes. Like others have said, I found that it was actually cheaper to buy a complete axle kit to replace everything than it would have been to replace the various parts. I had great luck with the kits from E-Trailer. Good price and well made.

2015 Starcraft AR-ONE Maxx 21FB
2023 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500
mrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 05:37 AM   #6

Here's a simple trailer brake testing guide: https://driveandcruise.com/how-to-ch...-on-a-trailer/

Additionally, your trailer brakes may not apply hard at speeds below a particular value by stepping on the pedal if your TV has a proportional trailer brake system. Ford's is about 25mph. Using the manual lever wont tell you what is really happening either as it is often either off or full value, depending on the brand

2011 F250 CCLB, 6.7 w/Puck System plus Slide in camper option,

2014 Montana 343RL (Just sold it)
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 06:22 AM   #7

Thank you everyone for the replies. The shoes do work when I move / rotate the magnet. I can't see or feel any binding or restriction. I'll check the voltage later today. I have the bearings out and will clean and check over. The drum that I have off is scored on the inside where the magnet makes contact. It certainly appears the best way to go is a complete assembly with new drums as well.
tbone! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 07:27 AM   #8

I over-pumped the grease a couple years ago and greased the brake shoes. Priced shoes and hardware plus new seals and found for only a few dollars more Etrailer would send me the whole thing.

Three bolts and two wire connections and done! So much easier than trying to put on the shoes and springs. Plus new magnets, bearings, seals complete.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote