Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2016, 03:53 PM   #1

Thumbs down Brand New 32BHDS

My family and I are looking for a new home to buy. We thought we would live in a trailer while we looked for a new home. We thought we would be better off to buy a new trailer and not have any problems then buy a used trailer and get who know what. Well we are about 45 days in and my awning LED lights no longer work and have a bad water leak leaking into the rear bunk house. So now Im going to have to give up my home for God only knows how long to get these problems resolved. I wonder how much wood will have to be replaced. And will they really replace it. I can clearly see that some sections of the floor under the carpet are really soaked with water. That can't be fixed. It has to be replaced. This thing sucks! I can't believe I spent this much money on this thing just to have problems. For now I would tell anyone to just say no to jayco.
Jdearduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:43 PM   #2

It must have leaked long before you got it for it to be that bad. I have caught a few little quality issues on my 16' 32bhds. A few areas were not caulked at all from the factory. But I took care of all that the first weekend I had the trailer. I don't want the dealer monkeyin around with my rig. The Led strip could just be a loose ground/bad switch. Not sure what you financial situation is but if you are rolling in Dough you could just dump that trailer for another one. Dealer should make it right since it is new.

2017 F250 CCLB 6.2 4.30 gears
2500hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:20 PM   #3

It's really hard to take these kinds of posts seriously...

You ever see a house get built? Guess what happens when it rains? This is an RV, your an RV owner. RV owners maintain and fix things... Put your big girl panties on and get with the program.

Get a fan and dry out the carpeting. Get a tube of self leveling dicor and a caulking gun. Get a ladder and inspect the seams. Find the spot on the roof with the missing caulking and put a little there. Look over the rest of the rig and do the same to all the places it needs it. If you can't find any... your not trying. In six months do it again.

The awning LED has two wires and a connector. Check the connector. Get your voltmeter and see if you have power. If you don't have power start looking at fuses. They are in the little brown panel somewhere in your rig.

You also have a warranty, if your unwilling or not capable of fixing these things yourself. Call your dealer and schedule a time for them to work on it. They don't need parts to fix a water leak, they just need a little time. The LED light... possibly but unlikely defective, I can't imagine that makes the rig unlivable if they had to order a new strip, but there isn't any reason why you can't stay in it.

BTW, I wouldn't mention that your living in the unit......
Old 07-13-2016, 02:33 PM   #4

Well ill tell ya Rustysocket, I have seen a few houses get built. I am a building inspector so I see them getting built 5 days a week so I do have some insight into this problem. Why would I even think about trying to fix something that is under warranty and still basically new. Manufactures are always looking for a way to screw the consumer out of there warranty. So say I fix the leak, and I take a towel and mop up the water. Three or four years from now who replaces all the dry rot? Every bit of this needs to be documented buy the Jayco dealer so they can fix it and I don't have to pay for it later.

BTW, Do you have a problem with someone living in a RV?
Jdearduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdearduff View Post
BTW, Do you have a problem with someone living in a RV?
Jayco says in the manual that the trailer is intended for recreational use, not full time. They probably wouldn't give you a hard time about it, but it might be better not to volunteer that information.
Rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:04 PM   #6

This is funny... two posts into an enthusiast forum and your already being screwed by the manufacturer...

Your RV is not a house, it's quickly built, with subpar materials, by hourly employees who are compensated by building as many as they can as quickly as they can. I can assure you, if all you have had is a water leak and a strip light not work your in for a rude awakening. I couldn't care less what your day job is... wood does not rot by getting wet for a short while. It rots because it got wet and the OWNER did not attempt to mitigate damages and didn't do a damn thing about it and let it rot. What you do at this point doesn't matter to me at all. You have a couple of choices, you can let the dealer "fix" it and be bitter about it, tell everyone you know how Jayco screwed you, blah blah blah.... or you can ask for a little help and learn how to solve some of these problems yourself. Why should you, you ask..... your right.... you probably shouldn't... if I were you I'd lawyer up and be bitter.. it's much more fun playing the victim. Just realize that people here will help you but if that's all you bring to the table.... nobody will miss you in a couple weeks when your gone.

We all will still be here, dealing with our Jaycos shortcomings, improving things where we can, modyfiying things to make them better and most of all helping each other learn.

Your on an enthusiast forum, this is not a consumer protection agency. This is a group of people who happen to own Jayco products, who share information on how to solve problems, and enjoy camping and an RV lifestyle. Sure you will find a couple bitter people here, as you will anywhere, who didn't know what they were getting into when they purchased a mass produced RV. You will also find a couple who truly got screwed and got a lemon. For those I feel truly sorry.

It has not been determined whether or not you got a lemon yet. Maybe you did, maybe you didn't. I would challenge you to find a better product at a competitive price, with a better warranty. I can only think of one manufacturer that is even on the table.

Regardless, I don't wish you ill will, Good luck with your search for your new home and getting your RV fixed as well. I've lived in the confined quarters of a small RV with a young family before and it can make an otherwise rational man behave irrationally.