Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-28-2018, 01:29 PM   #61

Got 54 gallon auxiliary fuel tank for my ram 2500 diesel. Never no fear. Can go over 1000 miles. Peace of mind unreal
ceschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:04 PM   #62

When we were towing the TT long distances, I would haul along the generator for overnighters in WM parking lots and the like. With that came 2x5-gal fuel cans.

One day while out in the corn/wheat fields of "fly-over" country, we were running low on fuel. Lower than I was comfortable with. Usually I don't let it go below a quarter tank, but like I said, we were in the middle of nowhere. The station we pulled into, that I was depending on, couldn't accommodate us. So I pulled around to a safe spot and dumped those two cans into my truck. The 10 gallons bought us enough to get to the next station, where we were able to fit easily. I filled the truck and the two cans, and off we went.

I'm not going to say those extra cans saved my bacon, but it sure was nice not to have to worry I was going to sputter to a stop on some lonely road. If I had a diesel, I would definitely get an in-bed transfer tank.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:12 PM   #63

I have never thought of considering carrying extra fuel............
And having read and scanned all of these posts, I have not changed my mind.
That said, we drive a Class C Mercedes 24M, which I think holds 26 gallons and gets about 12-14 mpg.........It's time to take a break and fuel up at about 200 miles anyway.
I just plan ahead. And the wife would never let the tank get too low anyway......
I might feel differently if I pulled a TT with a diesel truck and burned diesel in the generator..........
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:46 AM   #64

I like to carry the spare 5 gallons. It's not always about no place to get fuel, sometimes it's about how big a pain it might be to get in an then out of some of the stations.

Tuckerdog1
You live and learn, or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:13 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnott View Post
I've looked at those. Did u install it or have it done?
I've installed Titan fuel tanks on several trucks by myself and I'm an old, fat guy.

There are lots of good installation videos online and it only requires basic hand tools
WestTexasRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:06 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerdog1 View Post
I like to carry the spare 5 gallons. It's not always about no place to get fuel, sometimes it's about how big a pain it might be to get in an then out of some of the stations.

Tuckerdog1
That's exactly what happened to me. The station we stopped at was VERY inconvenient, and VERY high price. So, it wasn't worth fighting to get to a pump, and then paying a premium for the fuel if/when we got there. It was easier to just use the extra fuel I had on board to get us to a better place.

Worked like a charm. I think I'm going to consider hauling extra fuel on the MH for long voyages. I'll have to see if I can do it though. If I don't have the Toad, it's easy. If I have the Toad, it's still not that hard, but not quite as easy... Then again, the MH has a 55 gal tank whereas my truck had like 26 gallons. MH gets a little better mileage than the truck did, so I have a MUCH longer range on a tank in the MH than I did in the truck; a bit over 2x the range in fact.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:05 PM   #67

Just bite the bullet and add another tank. I have a 100 gal aux tank that can be switched from the truck to the aux tank with a flip of a switch on the dash. I never worry about fuel. It is also helpful saving money on fuel. When you run across some lower cost fuel fill up and pass the higher stations. I can tow my trailer about 1400 miles on both tanks. 100 gal is over kill but it was there when I bought the truck and I'm not taking it out. I would go with at least 50 gal.
1998 HitchHiker II 31 RLBG (Sold 2012)
2002 Ford F350 7.3L Turbo, Crew Cab, DRW, 4:10 (Mint, Garage Queen)
TnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:32 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Eagle View Post
Curious how many folks carry some extra gas or diesel for their TV? I was considering bringing an extra 5gal of diesel in case we ever got caught short before a fuel stop.

Sound logic or just over packing?
Sound logic in my book cuz you may need it and if you don't, it won't go to waste. "Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it". (Yogi-ism)
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:51 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
Sound logic in my book cuz you may need it and if you don't, it won't go to waste. "Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it". (Yogi-ism)
DITTO, DITTO I put in a 55gal, the truck has 34, and towing a 5th, I avg about 11.7, my one way trips avg about2400 to 3600 miles. My tank is a gravity feed and when I start to see my fuel gauge start to move is when I start figuring out when and were to top off. And really try not to go below half a tank, I can go about 900 on a full tow, it is the way to go, aux tank.....
Puddle Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:17 AM   #70
Site Team

Just an FYI for those of you new to auxiliary diesel fuel tanks. Consider treating that fuel with a good diesel biocide to keep microbes (algae) from growing in your tank. It shouldn't be a problem when you are towing and burning that fuel off quickly but may be an issue if that fuel is left to sit in that auxiliary tank for extended periods between trips. Most of you will never experience a problem, but all it takes is one bad load of fuel to get things growing in there and start quite a few issues.

If you are not familiar, Google "diesel algae" for lots of informative reading.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote