Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-17-2018, 09:50 PM   #1

Build a 200w-400w solar kit

So many have told me to avoid buying a “kit”. Let’s see who can piece together the most cost effective (not best but not cheating out either) 200w upgradable to 400w Kit.

Let’s see who knows they’re solar. Please include places to buy and links if feeling generous. This will be helpful to others looking to go solar.
nighthawk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:58 PM   #2

I would like to see this also.

Jump

Jerry Mary and Daisy the Beagle
2022 Alante 29S
Jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:14 AM   #3

The non professional drag racers say, "How fast can you afford to go." That is the way you can look at solar power on your RV. Here is a list of just solar controllers on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...oller&_sacat=0

That is a pick your price kind of thing. You just buy the controller you want at what ever price you want. All the parts you need are on Ebay, (where I got mine) Amazon, or other places. You can build your own solar panels, (as I did) or you can buy factory made panels. There are charts on Pinterest that will give you a idea of what amp draw all the electrical equipment in your camper uses. You will have to add extra for laptops, TV's and other electronics that you need to use or charge. There are places already on this form and on Pinterest that tell you all that you need to put your own system together. They will tell you what sizes of wire you might need to use. This will keep you from overloading and setting things on fire. There are so many variables in your own needs that you either need to look at what is out there or just buy the system you need. Even buying your own system you need to look at what your power needs are. For me. My solar system is a toy, because I will never be able to put up panels and battery storage on our RV to run the A/C. My wife has a health condition (non life threatening) that she needs to have the A/C. The weight of a system that will run the A/C would make a unsafe trailer to pull. We use a generator in the hot months and my toy solar + generator in the not so hot months.
I could spend weeks looking up the best most cost effective 200 upgradable to 400 system for me and it would not be anywhere near what you had in mind. Buy a solar system from someone who does it for a living or look and learn what you need. Any of these people out here will give you tips on install of a system that you build and design yourself. There is a lot of learning to do if you want to do your own solar. As for the parts, "how fast can you afford to go." Good luck on your research, it is very rewarding to be able to say, "I did it myself." This is just my opinion on your challenge.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke4857 View Post
The non professional drag racers say, "How fast can you afford to go." That is the way you can look at solar power on your RV. Here is a list of just solar controllers on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...oller&_sacat=0

That is a pick your price kind of thing. You just buy the controller you want at what ever price you want. All the parts you need are on Ebay, (where I got mine) Amazon, or other places. You can build your own solar panels, (as I did) or you can buy factory made panels. There are charts on Pinterest that will give you a idea of what amp draw all the electrical equipment in your camper uses. You will have to add extra for laptops, TV's and other electronics that you need to use or charge. There are places already on this form and on Pinterest that tell you all that you need to put your own system together. They will tell you what sizes of wire you might need to use. This will keep you from overloading and setting things on fire. There are so many variables in your own needs that you either need to look at what is out there or just buy the system you need. Even buying your own system you need to look at what your power needs are. For me. My solar system is a toy, because I will never be able to put up panels and battery storage on our RV to run the A/C. My wife has a health condition (non life threatening) that she needs to have the A/C. The weight of a system that will run the A/C would make a unsafe trailer to pull. We use a generator in the hot months and my toy solar + generator in the not so hot months.
I could spend weeks looking up the best most cost effective 200 upgradable to 400 system for me and it would not be anywhere near what you had in mind. Buy a solar system from someone who does it for a living or look and learn what you need. Any of these people out here will give you tips on install of a system that you build and design yourself. There is a lot of learning to do if you want to do your own solar. As for the parts, "how fast can you afford to go." Good luck on your research, it is very rewarding to be able to say, "I did it myself." This is just my opinion on your challenge.

Well that wasn’t very helpful. All the time spent writing that and you could have provided a good example. As much as you like to think we’re all different, 200-400 Watts with a controller is not going to be a whole lot different amongst folks like you think. The biggest issue is how much to spend like you said. This thread gives those a chance to be specific about why a certain, more expensive, controller might be better.

Again the idea here is for this thread to HELP people. It’s not helpful to say “google it”.

Think you might be able to suggest a setup now? Seems like you understand this stuff real well and it would greatly benefit everyone if you shared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2018, 11:26 AM   #5

We bought 275 watt 60 cell panel.Are camper was pre-wired, so we only needed 16 feet of cable.And one inline fuse.If your budget allow an MPPT controller. We spent less than 600 bucks. Lots of good u tube videos.We never had installed solar before. Love the system have had almost 2 years! Batteries always at full charge!If you do not use MPPT controller deduct $200.00.Hope this helps.....
Attached Thumbnails
Solar Charge Controller 020.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:59 AM   #6

I have 4x Fullriver 6v 224AH batteries (1000C$), 2x 160w panels (550C$), 2000w PSW inverter (360U$), Renogy Tracer 4210 controller (180U$). I made my own panel mounts using aluminum angle, I can tilt them to 45deg. Add in the cost for connectors, breakers and wire and I'm about 2000U$ into the system. The panels are in series and I have room to add two more in series, connected in parallel to the first two.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:58 PM   #7

Duke 4857. I thought it was very helpful and I appreciate the time it took to write it. If were to proceed I know how to look for information.
Thank you
Bob
380 watts of solar
2013 1500 Silverado 5.3 4x4 ext cab
Equalizer hitch 1,000/10,000
Firestone Airlift airbags
geezerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 02:36 PM   #8

There is nothing wrong with buying a kit, as long as you know when the price is about right.
For example, this kit
http://a.co/3xBbqOa
will set you back about $320, not bad for 200W and a controller. If you decide to add one or two more panels later, the controller is rated high enough to handle it. If you bought the parts separately, you might be able to knock off another $50 or so.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:49 PM   #9

$320 ain’t bad for 200 Watts. That would pretty much work unless a lot of tv or residential fridge is used.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:20 PM   #10

This information might be too late for you but I found it very informative from a respected solar blogger. Discusses the 400+ watt set up he installed in a friends trailer. You might read some of his other blogs to add to your knowledge regarding solar.

https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/...-2030-perfect/

I would also add that there is nothing wrong with buying a "kit" if you buy a "complete" kit for a new install. I found many vendors sell what are called "starter" kits that once you purchase them you find you need to buy additional monitors, cables, fuses, switches, mounts, etc. in addition to the solar panel(s) and charge controller that they sold you in the kit.
OregonPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonPerson View Post
This information might be too late for you but I found it very informative from a respected solar blogger. Discusses the 400+ watt set up he installed in a friends trailer. You might read some of his other blogs to add to your knowledge regarding solar.

https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/...-2030-perfect/

I would also add that there is nothing wrong with buying a "kit" if you buy a "complete" kit for a new install. I found many vendors sell what are called "starter" kits that once you purchase them you find you need to buy additional monitors, cables, fuses, switches, mounts, etc. in addition to the solar panel(s) and charge controller that they sold you in the kit.

I was all ready to buy the 200W renogy kit and you go and post this haha. I read some of that and feel like I should upgrade my controller now. Can’t seem to find the Morningstar SunSaver WITHOUT PVD as he recommends.

Can someone give me the cliff notes on where to get this controller, why no PVD, and if it’s really worth the cost for my weekend camping?

Old 03-05-2018, 09:22 PM   #12

Looks like the Morningstar pro star is better. Only doing two panels. Think 15A would be ok?

Old 03-05-2018, 09:39 PM   #13

I have 2 36v 260 watt panels $240CAD apiece
A morningstar MPPT 30 controller
Morningstar Ethernet adapter
Morningstar remote display
20a and 40a 12v breaker’s
Used existing Jayco prewire for the panel at the rear of the roof
Ran new 10ga wire down the stink pipe for the panel at the front
Made my own aluminum mounts
Didn’t cost much.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:50 PM   #14

And where does everyone get there battery cables from?

Old 03-05-2018, 10:50 PM   #15

So if the panels put out 18V and 10 awg wire has a .6 or even larger drop at 30’, then what does it matter if at least 15v makes it to the controller? Seems larger wire doesn’t matter from the panels to the controller

Old 03-06-2018, 12:08 AM   #16
JRD

Renogy.com has everything you need plus great tutorials, manuals, and customer service. Also a presence on Amazon and eBay.
JRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:24 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk87 View Post
So if the panels put out 18V and 10 awg wire has a .6 or even larger drop at 30’, then what does it matter if at least 15v makes it to the controller? Seems larger wire doesn’t matter from the panels to the controller

In basic installs, it is not the voltage that is the concern, it is the amperage on that cable that needs to be monitored. You want the longest let of the system to be between the SOLAR panels and the SOLAR charge controller.

If you went with residential SOLAR panels (as I did) the voltage would be 36VDC from the panels.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:06 PM   #18

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075SZMFP2...&pd_rd_w=PQcvO

anyone have thoughts on this kind of panels? I will not be mounting panels, and would like something light weight like this for occasional use, but I don't know enough to know.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:04 PM   #19

For those interested, watch this webinar and maybe take some guess work out of your install thoughts
It’s tommorrow and you need to register.
https://register.gotowebinar.com/reg...14405664968707
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote