Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-22-2019, 08:37 PM   #41

We got a 19. Just of us. We down sized. But we do lengthy camping. It's not big enough. The storage is lacking. Added a box shelf to bumber hope this helps.
Lindac63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:54 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
If your buying new, don't buy too small. You will lose a lot of equity if you find it's not what you really needed.
Do a lot of research and looking before you make a decision.
Make sure your vehicle is capable of towing whatever you buy.
Salesman will tell you anything to make a sale.
Knowledge is king.
All good advice. When we bought our first TT, we were inexperienced and intentionally started small, a SLX 145RB just for weekend trips. In the season that followed, we learned to love it, but wanted more. DW complained about having to convert the dinette into a bed (although I always did it). And I complained about having to climb over her to get out of bed in the middle of the night. And then there was that 10 gallon water tank! In less than two years, we traded up a little and lost a bundle of money. We did get our separate dinette and walk-around bed and bigger tanks. Perfect. But now our little truck strains when towing on the highway, and it broke down coming home from last weekend. Looking for a larger truck now.
Homersimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:18 PM   #43

Buying first trailer.

Word of caution when buying your first or any trailer.

I went to purchase a new Jayco trailer in 2016, when I arrived at the dealership, they had sold out of the model we were looking at. They had a used one (that was 3 months old that they sold new). We wanted this floor plan and couldn’t find another in Northern California. It was in great condition (brand new) so we bought it. The trailer was still under Jayco’s factory warranty, but they would not transfer the warranty to me. Even though it was still under its originally warranty and the dealership that originally sold it had taken it in on a trade up , they checked in over and resold it but Jayco would not stand by their original 2 year warranty.
So please be aware if you buy a previously owned rev that is still under warranty. You have no warranty from Jayco!
Thanks. Jack
Jparodi1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:39 AM   #44

The two best things our Jayco sales rep offered when we purchased our first trailer was the suggestion to buy what the two of us needed. Planning for others can lead you to over buy or get something that will be sadly be underused. The second suggestion was to get a rear view unit. Both of our Jaycos, have had rear windows and seating and we wouldn’t have it any other way. When rain hits hard, the sun is too brutal or the bugs too intense, sitting in the rear, enjoying the temperature, breeze or shelter couldn’t be better.

Go go, Slo go, or No go? Go Go !!
Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:34 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeferluke View Post
So I'm going to be buying my first rv I'm looking at the 175rd or the 195rb. It's just for my wife and I is there anything I should know before going to the dealership? Should I be looking at a bunk house for resale value or does it matter? I'm new to the whole idea of trailers but tired if the tent game so any info would be great. Thank you
There is no resale value no matter what you buy... depreciation is fast and furious the first 3 years of an RV... worse than a car...

look for something that is 3-5 years old, the hit will be less on both sides...

if you are handy it won't matter if you are not... then you can get the new one for the warranty but as seen many times if you need work done to it and it sits at the dealer you aren't getting to use it...

make sure you get what you want.. spend time in it.. as much as possible.. remember you will be camping in it.. better than a tent.. pretend to cook, sleep, use the "facilities", play cards etc...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:42 AM   #46

the downside to used.
No warranty at all
And you may be buying anothers problem
There may be mods that you don't want

It all depends on your definition of camping as for financials.. We took off on our first trip right after delivery.. We were gone six weeks and 10000 miles.

We have had at least half a dozen trips like that since so, for us, buying new made sense.

We kinda do the same for cars.. Buy new or newish and run it up to 300,000 miles.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:36 PM   #47

All great responses. We recently purchased our first RV (Jayflight SLX Baja 17') and did quite a bit of online research and looking at new RVs at local dealerships. Tow vehicle was major factor for us, we had a 3500 lb. limit and decided on new since there were more lightweight options. We also needed to upgrade our tow hitch so you'll need to consider that--it can be relatively expensive ($1,000+). It's just my wife and I so we elected for a version with a permanent queen bed--so we didn't have to always lower the dinette to convert info a bed to sleep. Also we wanted a dinette that could seat at least 4 people so we could entertain on the road, and a decent size shower for times when we wanted to shower in-unit. The other thing we looked at were hybrids but we were told they can be hotter/colder due to the fact that when beds are deployed it's really canvas and not a solid wall protecting you from elements. In the end it was the SLX Baja 17'--met all of our needs. Lastly think about servicing. We purchased from a dealership that is 1.5 hours from our house. We haven't needed warranty work, but if you do it has to go back to the dealer you purchased from. Good luck with your search!
bchandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:47 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jparodi1965 View Post
Word of caution when buying your first or any trailer.
Even though it was still under its originally warranty and the dealership that originally sold it had taken it in on a trade up , they checked in over and resold it but Jayco would not stand by their original 2 year warranty.
So please be aware if you buy a previously owned rev that is still under warranty. You have no warranty from Jayco!
Thanks. Jack
This is standard practice in the entire RV industry. With the massive amount of information easily available to people today, any significant layout of money can and should be looked into well in advance.

BTW, did you know that neither Kia nor Hyundai warranties are transferable also?
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 05:57 AM   #49

When we were shopping for our first trailer, we ended up liking a 23 expandable w bump outs. As we sat inside thinking about it I told the wife, OK, lets pretend we’re camping, let’s get on the bunk and pretend I need to get up at 3 in the morning to use the bathroom, we’ll, the crawl over showed me and her that nothing less than a walk around bed will do.
We would eventually use that example in every aspect, ie...cooking, counter space, bathroom, shower, watching TV, storing all the stuff we all take(tables, chairs, grills etc...)
That really helped us come close to our ideal camper.
Good luck, let us know what you decide.
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab, Traded in
Bluegill1
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:33 AM   #50

We bought a Jayco sleeps 3 back in 2016. It was a 2900 dry weight but the tow vehicle ended up with problems so we traded it in and got something that tows 5500 and found a similar vehicle to the Jayco since one was not available we ended up with something that looks Jayco with bunks. The new trailer is 2900 dry weight but says loaded 3500. But we don't add anything to it except what the mfg graced it with. Ours is a bunkhouse and sleeps 5. Almost like a small apartment. Plus it had my wish list of toys. Tows great but we don't go over 65 speed to try to save on gas mileage. Which I agree sucks. Good luck. Sounds like you got something fine.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:16 AM   #51

Read your question with interest as it is exactly one the one that I had a few months ago.
We took delivery of our new 175RD a few weeks ago, have had it out just a few nights breaking it in. To begin with, the trailer is for my wife and I (retired, no young kids) so we will be using it here in Colorado for 4 to 10 day trips. In addition, I expect to use it with a buddy or two for fishing and hiking trips.
After using it a couple of times with my wife here are our observations:
1. We love the floorpan. The "climb over" queen bed may be a deal breaker for some who would then need to look at the 195. However, it works for us. I should note that we have very different sleeping routines. I am a sound sleeper and can be a snorer, my wife is a light sleeper who even in the best situations at home will frequently awake during the night and ends up reading for an hour or two. This floor plan provides us a lot of flexibility. I can make up the dinette in a couple of minutes with one of my big, comfy sleeping bags and then spend the night on the other side of the trailer separated by the kitchen/bath hallway. The queen bed has a nightstand and curtain, and I can use the "entertainment cabinet, next to the dinette as a nightstand for lights, books, etc. It's perfect. More importantly, when I go with a fishing buddy we can get as far apart as a 17 foot trailer will allow, again with a narrow hallway separating us.
2. The three windows around the queen bed and three more around the dinette serve to make a small trailer feel larger and airy. Love sitting at the dinette with a view out three sides.
3. The kitchen is adequate with a small sink and two burners. A real plus is that there is a plethora of decent counter space. Much more than many trailers with a larger footprint. Not much storage underneath kitchen counter but upper cupboard is great for food boxes, extra paper towels, etc.
4. We would have been fine with a wet bath, but several days with the two piece dry bath and we quickly learned to appreciate being able to take a quick "Navy shower" and rinse in the evening or after a hike without disrupting the entire bathroom.
5. We have the Baja Edition. Plan on a lot of boon docking and dry camping so already appreciate the high clearance. Also like the 30 gallon freshwater tank, front stabilizer jacks, and 30# propane tank that it includes.
6. Tows easily with my RAM 1500. I use a Fastway e2 WDH because I think it is safer, but maybe not necessary.
6. The compartment doors to the storage under the bed and dinette are pretty small. However, found some nice Huskie Brand storage containers with raised lids that fit easily through the doors and can be moved around without lifting the bed or opening up the dinette seats. I have a containers for hitch and set up accessories, electrical cords and adapters, sewer hose and connectors, Coleman grill and griddle, water hoses and connectors, and one for wood blocks, an axe and portable shovel. Again, easy to reach through compartment door and pull out the one I need. (Was certain I would add air struts on the queen bed to make for easier access, but now not sure I need to do it. I have a four foot 2x2 I can use to prop the bed up if ever necessary)

I could go on into more detail.....winterizarion is very easy, marker lights are outstanding, storage cabinets over beds, dinette, hanging ward, night stand and entertainment/storage cabinet etc. means plenty of space for everything, etc.

One consideration, and I say this without judgement. My wife and are both pretty slim and active. If you are more portly or have a wide girth you will not like the dinette. There is not a lot of room for sliding in and moving around if you are of larger proportions. It works fine for us (6 foot 180#, 5'7" 130#). For that matter, working around each other in the kitchen or passing in the hallway requires a little patience. Any bigger and we might struggle too much with that.

Bottom line, I think you will be happy with either the 175RD or 195. I am pretty satisfied with the overall quality for the price paid. As you can tell, we think the 175RD is a great fit for our uses and suspect others will feel the same.
Good luck!
Richard
rtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote