Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2018, 01:17 PM   #21

IMHO, I wouldn't get a new one--I'd take the advice of others here at JOF and get an older, "previously loved" one (1+ years old) that has bee well taken care of.

I found this site to be very useful:
https://www.campsitephotos.com
(no, I get no compensation from them)
kwatson51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:24 PM   #22

3rd choice

You may have to look farther away but someone will have exactly what you want and unless your local dealer has a better than most service department you will not want them working on your investment anyway ( a good RV service place is very hard to find ) Jayco will reimburse you for an independent repair shop to do your work ( clear it with Jayco first )
I wish the Seneca had a better insulation option but they don’t ( I tried to get one ) Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:39 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodface View Post
The number of comments about using the local dealer because of warranty work does give me pause. I'm a pretty handy guy but if there's something major or something that would require parts I would definitely take advantage of the warranty if it was covered, regardless of whether I thought I could fix it or not.

Then there's the 2019's coming out now... I sure do like that 50th anniversary spare tire cover.
Forget worrying about the local dealer and warrantee work. If something big comes up and the local dealer wants to put way down the list, the other dealer is only 3 hours away. Not a trip down the block, but also not the end of the world. Get what you want but the 2019s have been coming off the line since Spring. The dealers are working like hell to clear all the old 2018's before the end of the summer.

With our current 2014 w Hawk we took the TT in for Warrantee work exactly 1 time and that was near the end of the 2 year period. The closest dealer was not where we bought the TT but he was great to work with and coordinated with Jayco to get a laundry list of items pre approved and had the parts on hand when we took the unit in at the end of the season.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:29 PM   #24

You lucky on warranty, 2 years 11 months final warranty being completed! Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:06 PM   #25

Quote:
LOL

Here's the two interior choices. My wife likes the darker one and I guess I kind of agree. I wish the other trailer had the same interior but I don't really dislike either of them. You can see what I mean about the door vs the panel on the table between the chairs because of the outside shower.
Are you sure one is that much lighter than the other. The second photo is over exposed and the first is a bit under exposed. Without seeing the other one in person you won't really know if it's really all that much lighter.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:41 PM   #26

Thanks again for all the replies, I'm reading them all and I appreciate the input, even if i don't comment on each one.

Still on the fence though I'm leaning toward the distant one. I like its' option set better, it's cheaper, and it's newer.

And oh yeah, about buying used instead, I was just commenting like two weeks ago to someone I work with that I would never buy a new trailer! Off gassing, depreciation, and new unit issues were the reasons I gave. Yet here I am looking at new trailers.
sodface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:58 PM   #27

Quote:

And oh yeah, about buying used instead, I was just commenting like two weeks ago to someone I work with that I would never buy a new trailer! Off gassing, depreciation, and new unit issues were the reasons I gave. Yet here I am looking at new trailers.

Every used trailer we’ve looked at has smelled - even if only faintly - like someone else’s dirty clothes, kids, cooking, and feet. New is more expensive but so worth it to us. Of course, ymmv
KillerIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:36 PM   #28

Get the one farther away and if you end up not liking it you can blame me. I bought my 5 hours away and coming up on 2 years and haven’t had any warranty work done. Only been to local dealer for LED recall, took 3 weeks.
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:29 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
Let me make this easy for you. Your wife left it up to you. What she meant was, it's up to you to get the one she wants. Lmbo
“I only do the things the voices in my wife’s head tell me to do”
Shaneoaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:16 AM   #30

I really like the light from our skylight and when it gets hot in AZ we just slide a piece of foil bubble stuff up there and it blocks the heat. Never used the outside shower, not once. I like the Glacier package until you want to get at things underneath the trailer and then it’s a pain. Go with your wife’s personal preferences... Happy Wife = Happy Life
GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:31 PM   #31

Quote:
Thanks again for all the replies, I'm reading them all and I appreciate the input, even if i don't comment on each one.

Still on the fence though I'm leaning toward the distant one. I like its' option set better, it's cheaper, and it's newer.

If you like the distance one, call them, ask them to FaceTime you as they walk through it with you and your wife. Start negotiations on FaceTime, when you come to point where you’re separated by a few dollars simply tell them, I agree to your terms assuming everything is as you say AND IF YOU DELIVER IT.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:58 PM   #32

I definitely agree that you see the distant one you are thinking about.
I also would vote for manual leveling, as we had a 2013 Jayco Pinnacle we bought brand new and had nothing but trouble with the auto leveling system from day one. We finally had to get rid of it just as factory warranty was running out, as after that we would have go deal with it ourselves. We found out with current Jayco 5th wheel that Jayco wants nothing to do with you once factory warranty runs out, even if you offer to take it directly to the factory!
Also, be sure that none of the trailers has a Schwintek slide ( the kind that runs on tracks visible on top and bottom of slide) Our 2015 Jayco Eagle Premier has one, the large slide out containing the kitchen. We had trouble with it 3 times in as many years, and it had 2 major repairs, one to the tune of $1800 and most recent repair cost us $2300 at Lippert Components service dept (they bought Schwintek) in Goshen, Indiana. We were stuck in Michigan in UP with side out and it wouldn't retract. Cost $665 for small rv shop to put slide in manually. Thank goodness we have extended 7 yr warranty so they will reimburse us for most of 2nd repair cost but not for the $665 to push it in, or the nearly $300 for a motel room while Lippert had it in the shop. We also met a couple from British Columbia who had the same problem with their Travel Trailer Schwintek slide, but theirs cost $1000 to shove back in and they hadn't had it repaired yet. They had no warranty

If it ends up that you like the one with the ceiling vent better, you can always get one of those thick foam things to put in it. However our 5th wheel has one in the kitchen (with the fantastic fan) and we use ours every time we cook. Don't notice any extra heat coming in.

I also agree with others that service and your line up in order of service is very important to consider, because you WILL need service the way RV's are thrown together these days, and yes, that includes Jayco, particularly now that they have been purchased by Thor.

Good luck!
Overogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:08 PM   #33

Go for local

I brought a previous unit from the distant dealer a few years back and had to travel to the dealer 3 to 4 times a year (4 hours drive) for 2 years because of warranty work. Local dealer was not interested in helping.

The money I saved at purchase was not worth all the trouble of having to do all that travel.
MarMic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:15 PM   #34

If you’re not in a hurry:

Go to the local dealer
Show him the other offer
Get him to order the camper you want with exactly what y’all want in it

If he’ll at least come mid way on price it’s worth it for local service
SouthRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:28 PM   #35

This question was answered when you said “my wife prefers.....”

Enough Said.

Btw. I agree with her on the interior
calebj06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:40 PM   #36

Always state wife's preference at top of list! I wouldn't buy a rig unless I liked the color scheme. Light colors show wear and dirt.
thecampingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:33 PM   #37

Quote:
LOL

Here's the two interior choices. My wife likes the darker one and I guess I kind of agree. I wish the other trailer had the same interior but I don't really dislike either of them. You can see what I mean about the door vs the panel on the table between the chairs because of the outside shower.
Those two living room sets are very different. One is pleather and one is fabric. We special ordered the lighter color, (fabric) after talking to the Jayco repair technicians. They said that pleather furniture comes back for cracking.
Gbreaux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:34 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbreaux3 View Post
Those two living room sets are very different. One is pleather and one is fabric. We special ordered the lighter color, (fabric) after talking to the Jayco repair technicians. They said that pleather furniture comes back for cracking.
You ought to both of you to ride out and see and sit in the other unit first. Good luck.
Gbreaux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:01 PM   #39

I know our pleather furniture is cracking where our heads rest after 3 years. Seems like it should last longer than that as we take very good care of our RV.
Overogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:04 PM   #40

Buy the one you want if the pricing is good. We flew into GRAND RAPIDS MI and saved
45K+ on our new PRECEPT 31 UL and got the items we wanted with about a 2 month wait but well worth it because we got the color/features,accessories that we and she wanted + we were able to drive it to California for a nice cross country jaunt. We contacted a service center in Manteca and they treated us like we had bought it there so now we store it right next door to the Manteca trailers and have Glenn prep it for us on each travel. worth traveling to get what you really want.
wondermn1 is offline   Reply With Quote