Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-19-2019, 03:05 PM   #1

Completely replace roof? Or Patch?

Found a couple soft spots on my 2012 Jayflight so I called a couple RV dealerships to get an idea of what it would take to fix it.

Shop #1 said they can fix the problem area by cutting back as much of the rubber roof as needed to make any structural repairs then patching that area with the same type of material (TPO or EDPM), whichever I have, and sealing it (I'm guessing with Dicor and Eternabond tape).

Shop #2 (an authorized Jayco dealer) told me they would not do a patch job. After any structural repairs, they would replace the entire roof membrane. They said a patch job would not last and would probably leak again. So for a whopping $7000+ dollars I would have a nice new roof.

Yikes! I would much rather go with a patch job and save some money "IF" you all think it is possible to properly seal the repair. My understanding is Dicor and Eternabond are good sealing agents. I've never used them, just what I've read about them. The area needing repair is about 6 square feet. Any experiences, good or bad with patch jobs would be appreciated.
Kaliona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:23 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Apparently Dealer #2 is after your money and Dealer #1 is after saving your money.
If repairing a patch is proper done I would go for the patch. Have done that myself in the 90's. Important is to maintain the roof always with dicor lap-sealant (check for cracks).
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Apparently Dealer #2 is after your money and Dealer #1 is after saving your money.
If repairing a patch is proper done I would go for the patch. Have done that myself in the 90's. Important is to maintain the roof always with dicor lap-sealant (check for cracks).
Agree with going plan A patch. When they do a complete re roof, there are dozens of possible areas that can leak, including around all penetrations and vents and seams. With a patch after the repairs are done to the structure and the rubber roof patch is applied and sealed, you have just one area to watch and maintain.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:00 AM   #4

Since your unit is an older 2012 trailer, I'd recommend doing a patch. If the fix is done right, it'll be just fine.

However, for those in a similar situation with a newer, one or two year old trailer, it's probably worth noting a patch can effect resale value. When it's obvious something has been repaired, even if it's a first-rate, well-done repair . . . well, the bottom line it is still obvious. Some folks are not into "obvious".
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:42 PM   #5

What happened to the good ole days when a gallon of cool seal would fix a leak easily.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:53 PM   #6

Depending on how the repair has to be done, my first choice on a 2012 would be a patch. Second choice would be a new spray on roof.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Depending on how the repair has to be done, my first choice on a 2012 would be a patch. Second choice would be a new spray on roof.
I'm fairly new to RV/trailer roof issues but have done a roof-joist and decking and membrane repair myself on an old one I had previously, and just went through warranty repair on a 2018 Jayco I bought a year ago, but don't recall hearing about being able to spray on a new roof on these things. Have seen info on rolling/spreading liquid-based roof membrane material, but not any on spraying. Would you have any more info on that you could provide or link to? Don't need it now but am curious for future reference. Thanks.
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:45 PM   #8

I am leaning towards patching it, really keeping an eye on it, maintaining it, and keeping my fingers crossed. I've read only good things about Eternabond tape so I feel if its done right, it should be fine. I am in Northern California and most of the year here it is sunny, mild rain during the winter, and no snow so I think patching will be ok.
Kaliona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:22 PM   #9

soft spots....

just curious if the soft spots connect to a leak. I have a soft spot on my 2005 Jayco roof and I did the 2 step Dicor roof refinish in 2016 [over the Alpha roof type]. I never had a leak history [that I know of] but the soft spots do raise a question I suppose.
Tommyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaliona View Post

Yikes! I would much rather go with a patch job and save some money "IF" you all think it is possible to properly seal the repair. My understanding is Dicor and Eternabond are good sealing agents. I've never used them, just what I've read about them. The area needing repair is about 6 square feet. Any experiences, good or bad with patch jobs would be appreciated.

Quote for a 24' roof last year $3,200 plus tax. https://rvroof.com/
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL243 View Post
I'm fairly new to RV/trailer roof issues but have done a roof-joist and decking and membrane repair myself on an old one I had previously, and just went through warranty repair on a 2018 Jayco I bought a year ago, but don't recall hearing about being able to spray on a new roof on these things. Have seen info on rolling/spreading liquid-based roof membrane material, but not any on spraying. Would you have any more info on that you could provide or link to? Don't need it now but am curious for future reference. Thanks.
I think Rhino Lining was the first to come out with a spray on rv roof. I hear about RV Flexarmor more now days. A former coworker, did a Rhino Liner roof on his old 5ver. He loved it and recommended it to everyone.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote