Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-24-2016, 10:14 AM   #1

Dealer Location and Warranty work

I am about to purchase a Jayco Octane SL 222 Toy Hauler. I have an authorized dealer in my town but they don't current have that model. I looked at one about 4 hours away at a dealer in that location and got a great price quote.

My question is will my local dealer honor the warranty and do repair work or will they tell me to take it back where I bought it?
Mbranscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:20 AM   #2

If it were me I would call the local dealer to see what they say, most dealers won't do warranty service if they didn't sell it to you.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:08 AM   #3

I agree with Sundancer. You could call the local dealer and see what they say. Heck, they may be willing to order you one and match the price you got from the dealer 4 hours away.

Technically, I don't think the local Jayco dealer can't refuse to service the RV because they ARE in fact a Jayco dealer. What they can do (and what many often do what i've read), is they will put you at the bottom of the service list behind folks that bought from them. This could mean weeks or even months of waiting. This will often discourage 'outsiders' from wanting to wait for service.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post

Technically, I don't think the local Jayco dealer can't refuse to service the RV because they ARE in fact a Jayco dealer.
They can refuse, happens at many locations. They are independent dealers, not franchised like a car or truck dealer.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
They can refuse, happens at many locations. They are independent dealers, not franchised like a car or truck dealer.
Thanks Grump... That I did not know.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:55 PM   #6

Only your local dealer can answer this question. Dealers are not Franchised as Gumpy points out, therefore they have no mandatory requirement to perform warranty work. It's a perpetual struggle in this industry. The more savy dealers understand performing warranty work for non-locally purchased units would be a good way to establish a relationship with a consumer, however most don't appear to understand this.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 02:30 PM   #7

The dealer where I brought my 2016 28BHBE is a 1 hour drive away. The local Camping World is 6 minutes away. The local Camping World sells StarCraft Trailers. SO, Jayco authorizes them to do the warranty work on my 28BHBE. So, 2 weeks ago I called the Camping World and today I dropped off the trailer for the warranty work.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:41 PM   #8

This is very depressing. I found what I want at a great price but it's 4 hours away. No one any closer has the unit and the local dealer can't get anyone to turn loose of a unit.

Not sure I want to buy and have to drive 4 hours for service.
Mbranscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbranscum View Post
This is very depressing. I found what I want at a great price but it's 4 hours away. No one any closer has the unit and the local dealer can't get anyone to turn loose of a unit.

If the dealer 4 hours away has what you want at a good price go for it. I have a huge dealer 4 miles from me, they didn't have what I wanted and ordering was going to take forever. I drove 140 miles each way got what I wanted off this dealers lot. Its now been 16 months and I have not returned to the dealer for any repairs. I have had a few problems that the dealer got approved and they sent m the parts. RV dealers don't trade like auto dealers do, they are rivals not partners.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbranscum View Post

If you are happy witht he floor plan and the deal go buy it!!

We traveled from our home base in Reno to San Diego to pick up the rig we ordered down there since the dealer in Reno would not deal. We saved $7K and if needed service anywhere in the country Jayco will approve.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote