Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2024, 01:51 PM   #1

Dripping faucet

Ever since new, the kitchen sink faucet has dripped slowly. It doesn't do it all the time. My dealership was great about the problem and replaced the faucet under warranty, but with an identical faucet. On the first trip out, the new faucet dripped in the same way.

I talked to the salesman that sold me the trailer, and a Jayco factory rep at the RV show and had another replacement authorized. This was done quickly and we went straight out camping only to be disappointed that this faucet also dripped.
So, that is three brand new faucets in a year and a half that all drip from the time they are installed.

So, I suppose. My options are to live with the drip or try to have Jayco cough up for a fourth new faucet.

I never have the trailer connected to city water; pressure is only supplied by the water pump. I have a sneaking feeling that the 40-50 psi water pump may actually be to low to make the faucet seal when it is closed.
I have to wonder if three faucets in a row leaked for me, has anyone else had this problem?
FISTEP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 02:33 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISTEP View Post
I have a sneaking feeling that the 40-50 psi water pump may actually be to low to make the faucet seal when it is closed.
I have to wonder if three faucets in a row leaked for me, has anyone else had this problem?
My opinion ( and I’ve been wrong before) is that it’s not because of low pressure but what I would do is buy your own faucet of your liking and that should do the trick.
Old 03-27-2024, 02:34 PM   #3

Never had this problem personally, but if I were you, I'd just put a good quality faucet in and get on with life.

Yes, it stinks having to pay for it... again. But what's your time/happiness worth?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 07:37 PM   #4

I replaced our faucets with moan residentials. They fit perfectly. You'll be happier and it will look better. No more plastic stuff.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 08:29 PM   #5

I'm not too worried about having to get my own faucet; there's nothing special about the plumbing other than the lower pressure. It's just hard to believe that three brand new faucets dripped and no one else had a problem. There must be thousands of them on Jayco trailers.

The service manager at my dealership said if it was still a problem, he would have me reimbursed I bought my own. I'm going to give it a try but I could believe it if Jayco was unhappy about paying for the fourth new faucet. We shall see. In any case, I'm going to change it up whether I get covered or not.
Old 03-28-2024, 04:05 AM   #6

If this is a high arch faucet then the drip may just be the water left in the spout after turning faucet off. Think about it, the shutoff is pretty much at counter level but then you have a column of water above that in the spout.

We have this issue when travelling. I guess the shaking of the trailer, while going down the road, is enough to break the surface tension of the water and a little bit drips out. Wouldn't worry about it. Or like others have said, just replace it with a residential faucet (we did).

2015 Starcraft AR-ONE Maxx 21FB
2023 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500
mrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 07:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmom View Post
If this is a high arch faucet then the drip may just be the water left in the spout after turning faucet off. Think about it, the shutoff is pretty much at counter level but then you have a column of water above that in the spout.

We have this issue when travelling. I guess the shaking of the trailer, while going down the road, is enough to break the surface tension of the water and a little bit drips out. Wouldn't worry about it. Or like others have said, just replace it with a residential faucet (we did).
Yes it is a goose necked type with a single handle and and probably has a ball type valve. We thought it could be residual water at first but it is definitely not that. I tried shaking it to empty the end of the spout and it just delays the drip for a little while.
It drips, sometimes once per minute or two, sometimes every 15 seconds continuously and sometimes it stops and starts again. I'm sure it's pressure related as sometimes it starts after the bathroom faucet is turned on and off.
Old 03-28-2024, 07:29 AM   #8

Hey FISTEP, you might have your dealer do a pressure test on the water pump.

If it has too low of a water pressure, a quality residential faucet might have the same issues.

I'm assuming the RV is still under warranty?
Old 03-28-2024, 08:06 AM   #9

Our kitchen faucet started leaking and it was still under warranty. Instead of having it replaced with the original factory faucet I bought a Delta faucet and asked the dealer to install it in place of the factory faucet.They were happy to do it. I had to pay for the new faucet ,but I also don’t have the problem anymore and it looks a lot better also. If your still under warranty you might ask your dealer if they will do the same.
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 09:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinger608 View Post
Hey FISTEP, you might have your dealer do a pressure test on the water pump.

If it has too low of a water pressure, a quality residential faucet might have the same issues.

I'm assuming the RV is still under warranty?

Yep, that's my worry. I suggested that pressure could be a factor during the last replacement but the service manager just said they'd replace it again as he was sure it would be fine and if not he'd ask Jayco to credit me for a different faucet of my choice. I wasn't confident that Jayco would go for that but I said go for it. The dealership gets paid for warranty work and they seem happy to go to bat for me over issues.

I just wanted to know if someone else had had the same problem with what must be a great deal of the same faucets in other's Jayco tarilers.

Yes, the trailer is 16 months old and still under warranty.
Old 03-28-2024, 09:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy wife / happy life View Post
Our kitchen faucet started leaking and it was still under warranty. Instead of having it replaced with the original factory faucet I bought a Delta faucet and asked the dealer to install it in place of the factory faucet.They were happy to do it. I had to pay for the new faucet ,but I also don’t have the problem anymore and it looks a lot better also. If your still under warranty you might ask your dealer if they will do the same.
Still under warranty but if I am not covered for getting my own faucet, I'll just buy one and install it myself. It's not worth the time to have them do it for me.
Old 03-28-2024, 05:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISTEP View Post
Yep, that's my worry. I suggested that pressure could be a factor during the last replacement but the service manager just said they'd replace it again as he was sure it would be fine and if not he'd ask Jayco to credit me for a different faucet of my choice. I wasn't confident that Jayco would go for that but I said go for it. The dealership gets paid for warranty work and they seem happy to go to bat for me over issues.

I just wanted to know if someone else had had the same problem with what must be a great deal of the same faucets in other's Jayco tarilers.

Yes, the trailer is 16 months old and still under warranty.
We have that same type of faucet in or 2019 27RL and haven't had any issues.

When I turn the water pump off, if there is a large drop in pressure, the kitchen and bath faucet will drip until I turn a faucet on to drop the pressure to nothing.

That's why I'd suggest pressure testing the output of the water pump. Either from your dealer or yourself.

You could probably rig up a simple water pressure gauge with some adapters from one of the big box stores and test it yourself.
Old 04-03-2024, 12:49 PM   #13

I am only a lurker here, if thats even a real word. Your system may be over presureizing . A household plumbing sysytem hasan expansion tank to take up pressure from the hot water expanding when it gets hot. Most RVs do this by leaveing an air pocket in the hot water tank. If this is waterlogged the pressure can get very high. It will force its way out of the cheap plastic faucet.When turn on the water, is there a surge of water? If there is try draining your system and refilling, primarily, the hot water tank and see if this helps. It should replace the air cusion. Use of water system in an off level can cause this, as well as alarge amount of road miles
DVB560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 01:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVB560 View Post
I am only a lurker here, if thats even a real word. Your system may be over presureizing . A household plumbing sysytem hasan expansion tank to take up pressure from the hot water expanding when it gets hot. Most RVs do this by leaveing an air pocket in the hot water tank. If this is waterlogged the pressure can get very high. It will force its way out of the cheap plastic faucet.When turn on the water, is there a surge of water? If there is try draining your system and refilling, primarily, the hot water tank and see if this helps. It should replace the air cusion. Use of water system in an off level can cause this, as well as alarge amount of road miles
What about the pressure relief valve in the top of the water heater?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 04-03-2024, 01:24 PM   #15

Releif valbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
What about the pressure relief valve in the top of the water heater?
Those normaly pop at around 95 to 100 psi. That is still to high for the cheap plastic faucet. The key is does it seem to surge when you 1st turn on the water when it is dripping?
DVB560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 05:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmom View Post

We picked up our new 29MV about 6 weeks ago. The kitchen faucet does drip and I decided that mrmmom answer is the reason why. I also make sure the faucet is pointing over the open sink instead of the cutting board so the drip goes down the drain instead of splashing on top of the cutting board where it looks like it is an issue.
CMWade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 07:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMWade View Post
We picked up our new 29MV about 6 weeks ago. The kitchen faucet does drip and I decided that mrmmom answer is the reason why. I also make sure the faucet is pointing over the open sink instead of the cutting board so the drip goes down the drain instead of splashing on top of the cutting board where it looks like it is an issue.
That's good that is the answer for you but it is not for our case. I can shake all the remaining water out of the gooseneck and all it does is delay the drip while it fills back up over the bend. Then it continues to drip every few seconds to a minute it has to be aimed into the sink or it makes a mess. It's not my imagination. I'm going to get a pressure guage into the system at some point to determine if it is a pressure issue, as I suspect.
Old 04-03-2024, 07:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Those normaly pop at around 95 to 100 psi. That is still to high for the cheap plastic faucet. The key is does it seem to surge when you 1st turn on the water when it is dripping?
No, can't say it's any different than other RVs and it is only the kitchen faucet that drips.
Old 04-04-2024, 08:46 AM   #19

Quote:
That's kind of crazy. IIRC, the water system in a Jayco is only rated to like 60PSI?

Isn't there also a pressure valve in the water pump? I know there's a valve there that can get debris in it and will let city water flow into the tank through the pump, but I thought I remembered reading that it could act as a pressure relief?

No matter which way you slice it, the water pressure will find the weakest link and leak there. And as cheap as these RV faucets are, it doesn't surprise me they would be the weakest link and leak under less-than-rated pressures.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 04-04-2024, 09:06 AM   #20

I have seen similar reports off and on for quite a while now. Many times I believe the issue is with heating the water which causes water expansion with no where for the increase in the water volume (expansion) to go due to the check valves in place and with no expansion tank.

The pressure relief valve is 150 psi (if I remember correctly) which is a lot of pressure. What I suggest trying is to determine if the faucet drips (leaks) when the water heater is turned off and cool (open the faucet at that time for a moment to relieve any pressure buildup). Then if no leaks occur, turn the water heater back on and see if you can determine that the water heater being on or off makes the difference. If so, then there are some things that may help, one being to make sure there is an air gap at the top of the tank. An expansion tank may help but likely would have to be on the hot water side (again due to the check valves) if the pressure build-up and subsequent faucet drip is due to the water expansion of the heated water. ~CA