Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-23-2021, 09:32 PM   #1

Eagle HT 284BHOK Tow Vehicle

I've seen a few threads on the forum about 1/2 ton trucks towing an Eagle HT TT and there seems to be some debate on the topic. I picked up a 2021 Ram 1500 w/ 5.7L Hemi eTorque and the truck is plenty capable of towing that weight but there seems to be question on the payload. I'm curious about anybody's experience actually towing a 284BHOK, or similar trailer.

Anybody have any first hand experience they'd care to share? Thanks!
KS425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS425 View Post
I've seen a few threads on the forum about 1/2 ton trucks towing an Eagle HT TT and there seems to be some debate on the topic. I picked up a 2021 Ram 1500 w/ 5.7L Hemi eTorque and the truck is plenty capable of towing that weight but there seems to be question on the payload. I'm curious about anybody's experience actually towing a 284BHOK, or similar trailer.

I don’t have this model, yet. We are planning to tow ours with a 2500HD. I have no experience towing this with a half ton but something else to consider is your factory hitch rating. On my 2013 GM half ton, the factory hitch was rated for 1100# tongue weight with WD. I believe the 284BHOK has a dry weight of 1080. I’m betting with 2 propane bottles, a battery, and your items in the pass through storage, I don’t think it would be absurd to think the hitch weight wouldn’t be 1300-1350#.

It’s just a thought I had for ya. Good luck to you and the 284BHOK looks like an awesome unit!
Loomis077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:05 PM   #3

Appreciate the response! According to my truck’s manual, the hitch on my truck has a rating of 1,275 lbs. We’d probably never be towing with water in the tanks and pack pretty light. We’d be under the weight ratings but my concern is how it would handle if we got up there closer to the ratings. My guess is that the ratings would have some buffer to what the truck could actually handle, but I certainly don’t want to push it in terms of safety. Should also mention the dealer would include an equalizer E4 WDH.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:00 PM   #4

We purchased our Eagle HT 284BHOK in the summer of 2019 - at the time, I was pulling with a 2013 Toyota Tundra Crewmax Rock Warrior pickup with a Blue Ox Swaypro (1500). Payload of the truck was approximately 1500#. The tow capacity was just over 9000#. We (I) struggled towing our travel trailer. We never tow with the water tanks full, but do have the trailer loaded with gear including two 12v batteries and 2 (30#) propane tanks full. The "pucker factor" was far too high, and it was stressful towing any distance. Wind gusts and passing rigs would truly make the experience much more stressful and often lead to a rough start to an otherwise exciting adventure. Part of this experience could be that we were new to towing large rigs... but we just felt unsafe towing a rig this size with that 1/2 ton truck.

I upgraded last fall to a 2500 HD and could not be happier. Our experience has changed dramatically, and we feel the rig in general is much safer, as well as our overall comfort while traveling longer distances. The 284BHOK is a great TT, but it is heavy. Adding variables such as fuel, occupants, gear, tongue weight (especially on a loaded TT) etc to the vehicle, especially a 1/2 ton pickup, and you've exceeded your payload quickly. Good luck with your decision!

This is our experience, and yours will most definitely be different, but hope it helps. If you have any questions please feel free to respond back and I'll do my best to get an answer.
Doyle1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:19 PM   #5

Thank you for sharing. That seems to be the common experience from what I've read. I became suspicious when the trailer dealer used words like "yeah, you should be OK." If it's a safety matter and it's even close, I think I'm just going to have to upgrade the truck for peace of mind. I talked to my Ram dealer and he said they could work something out on a trade up to a 2500. Even though I'll take a hit on trading in a new truck, I think it's what I'll have to do to feel comfortable with that large of a trailer.

Appreciate you sharing your experience. Hopefully I can avoid the pucker factor up front and not have a bad trip and then go ahead and get the 2500 anyways.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:40 AM   #6

Good choice. The numbers these half tons publish must be calculated by the marketing departments. Maybe for flatbed with a load of sheetrock. But a TT or fover is like a 12 foot sail. There autta be a law. Just my opinion.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:58 AM   #7

Dealers will almost always say you’ll be ok. Once you drive it off the lot, it’s your problem after that. Nothing wrong with 1/2 ton trucks, but once the trailer weighs considerably more than the tow vehicle the laws of physics take over. I used to tow our 28RL with our Tundra CrewMax and it was not a good experience, especially out on the highway with cross-winds.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:25 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

The 284bhok is not safe to tow with a Ram 1500. You are significantly over weight with a trailer like that. Payload is going to be over before you even put anything in the truck. I would move to a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. Dealer should have told you that the weight of the propane and batteries and the hitch will add 200lbs to the tongue weight. Jayco really shouldn’t label the HT as half ton capable. They are a very heavy line of trailers. 9995 gvwr. You are going to have 1400 pounds on the hitch before you even load up the trailer. I’d like to see the specs on your Ram too. These Eagle HT trailers are over 8000 dry which is over the max towing of most ram 1500s. Dry.
Bassmastergeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Thank you for sharing. That seems to be the common experience from what I've read. I became suspicious when the trailer dealer used words like "yeah, you should be OK." If it's a safety matter and it's even close, I think I'm just going to have to upgrade the truck for peace of mind. I talked to my Ram dealer and he said they could work something out on a trade up to a 2500. Even though I'll take a hit on trading in a new truck, I think it's what I'll have to do to feel comfortable with that large of a trailer.

Appreciate you sharing your experience. Hopefully I can avoid the pucker factor up front and not have a bad trip and then go ahead and get the 2500 anyways.
Smart decision! Most people would try to make it work, but I'm certain your 1500 won't have enough payload. Your door sticker will tell you for sure, but I'm guessing you've got under 1500lbs of payload, which isn't enough for that trailer. Better safe (and enjoyable) than sorry.
Old 02-26-2021, 03:08 PM   #10

With a 4X4 equipped with a 3.92 axle ratio 5.7 liter hemi engine and a short bed your towing limit is 11,340lb however the problem is the tongue weight is close to the limit from the start. I believe you have a margin of about 200lbs even when total dry.

I have a 28BHOK HT and currently towing it with a Ram Rebel 1500 with weight distribution bars and a Reese friction sway bar. However I am not comfortable towing the unit feels a little light in the front end even though the set up is correct.

I would definitely go to 2500 or 3500 with a Cummings. I am currently shopping around to change out my tow vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
E0576A65-55A4-433B-AC1D-E061F42C0539.jpg  
Parky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 01:59 AM   #11

Just to circle back, thanks again for all the input and advice. I traded up to a 2500 diesel and feel MUCH better about towing the trailer now. I was not looking forward to white knuckle driving and counting every pound we put into the trailer before a trip. Not to mention driving the bigger diesel truck is a lot more fun
Old 03-13-2021, 02:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Just to circle back, thanks again for all the input and advice. I traded up to a 2500 diesel and feel MUCH better about towing the trailer now. I was not looking forward to white knuckle driving and counting every pound we put into the trailer before a trip. Not to mention driving the bigger diesel truck is a lot more fun
Smart move you won't regret it.
alwalk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 03:04 PM   #13

Quote:

Your Ram may be able to pull it with no problem but what about stopping it? I never listen to the salesperson . Run the numbers and keep in mind it will be heavier than you expect .
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 07:09 PM   #14

I pulled my 30 RLS White Hawk with my Tundra, the truck had enough power to pull it and with the equalizer made it feel ok, but cross winds and some big rigs flying by me, made me change to F250, by fr the best decision
Tico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 10:04 PM   #15

Quote:

I can tell you from first hand experiance, you do not want to atttempt to tow a 284BHOK with a half ton truck. I love the layout of ours, but it tows like a dog. Jayco should never advertise this model as a HT. I tow with a Ram 3500 with no problem.
Aggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:57 PM   #16

Towing a 284BHOK

Quote:

I have a 2020 284BHOK that we have had for almost a full year now. We had a Tundra crew cab (1/2 ton) but after doing a little research it became apparent that the Tundra did not have the payload capacity and GVWR that was needed for 284BHOK. We purchased a Ram 2500 and then purchased the 284BHOK. We had a 12,000lb Equailizer 4-way weight/sway distribution hitch that I kept when we sold our previous truck & trailer. On paper all of the specs where well within safe towing allowances. The RV dealer setup the hitch for our new rig and we were off and towing.

Almost immediately I felt like the trailer was pushing the truck all over the road. There was significant sway particularly when there was any crosswind. Tweaked the Equalizer several times to see if I could improve how it was towing, but it did not improve the experience. I still really like Equalizer hitch setup. We like our new truck and trailer, but started to have buyers remorse at the stress of towing. I really can't imagine towing it with a 1/2 ton truck based upon towing the 284BHOK with a 3/4 ton truck.

After doing some more research and consulting with other owners of longer Travel Trailers (35'), we ended up bitting the bullet and purchased the ProPride. The ProPride improved things dramatically, but took a couple trips to get it dialed in. Our towing experience is night and day from where we started with the Equalizer even though our bank account a bit lighter. Buyers remorse started to fade into enjoyment. I truly feel that we are now safer and in control going down the road for my family and those around me. I still feel like I would like a bit more stability in the rear of the truck while towing and I am planning on installing airbags on the rear suspension this spring.

Not telling anyone what they should or shouldn't do, just sharing our experience. Keep it safe out there for all of us on the road, know your limits, and please do not push the limits on safety just because we can.
Jetsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 07:07 PM   #17

Eagle HT 284BHOK tow vehicle

We purchased a 2020 Ram 3500 and a Hensley Arrow. It pulls great now.
Aggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 08:34 PM   #18

It's not fully capable of pulling that weight. Its about much more than horsepower.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 08:13 AM   #19

I have a 280rsok that I towed with a f150 with 1770 payload. After scaling the setup loaded I was over weight by 400 pounds. The trailer loaded was 10,000 pounds and the hitch weight was 1400. I switched to a f250 gas, and was a huge difference in handling. By going with a gas f250 my payload is 3150.
Zuidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 06:02 AM   #20

I’m picking up my 284 in a few weeks. I have a 2015 F350. After towing with a 1 ton I don’t think I would use anything else. Other than maybe a slightly stiffer ride, why go with a 250-3/4 ton?
jsc1979 is offline   Reply With Quote