Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2021, 11:57 AM   #21

Thumbs up Use the Andersen WDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphiteDriver View Post
My parents purchased an new TT and I'm having difficulty finding a hitch that is easy for them to use. Their TT is 24 feet long, tandem axle, 400 lb tongue weight. Tow vehicle is a 2014 Silverado 1500, long bed single cab 4.5L V6. Their current hitch is a Husky Centerline TS, but it's heavy and the bars are very difficult for my 71 yr old dad to install if everything is not lined up just right. Dad is out of shape and has limited mobility, which obviously doesn't help. It works as intended, but hitching up is a pain in the ass if truck and trailer are not perfectly lined up and on the same plane. Even I, a strapping young buck hate the thing.
So, does anyone have experience with a hitch system that is easy to install for an older couple? I know Anderson makes one with no bars, but I'm not sure if I'd trust dad to get the chain tension right.
Thanks
I’m 71 and just switched over to the Andersen WDH. Once setup your Dad will have no problems with chain tension. The ball hitch and the bars were way to heavy for mr to wrestle around anymore.
Mrkite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 12:26 PM   #22

Andersen sounds interesting. What is the total weight of the hitch head, including draw bar, ball mount, etc?
Birkiebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 12:26 PM   #23

65 and loving it

Hi; my wife and I are 65, used to use the chain type on our old Terry 20 footer, now have a 27 foot Jayco and use the E2 weight distribution hitch with sway control.
Live it.
Once set up, never have to adjust it.
If your dad can push a button on the electric jack that's about as hard as it gets.
You lift the trailer tongue and rear of your tow vehicle up with the electric trailer jack connect the bars from the tow vehicle hitch to the trailer brackets and lower the trailer jack back down. That's it, all done.

Quote:
My parents purchased an new TT and I'm having difficulty finding a hitch that is easy for them to use. Their TT is 24 feet long, tandem axle, 400 lb tongue weight. Tow vehicle is a 2014 Silverado 1500, long bed single cab 4.5L V6. Their current hitch is a Husky Centerline TS, but it's heavy and the bars are very difficult for my 71 yr old dad to install if everything is not lined up just right. Dad is out of shape and has limited mobility, which obviously doesn't help. It works as intended, but hitching up is a pain in the ass if truck and trailer are not perfectly lined up and on the same plane. Even I, a strapping young buck hate the thing.
So, does anyone have experience with a hitch system that is easy to install for an older couple? I know Anderson makes one with no bars, but I'm not sure if I'd trust dad to get the chain tension right.
Thanks
Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 12:31 PM   #24

60 lbs. Once tensioned the first time unless you change the TT load no need to retension each time

It may be a wee under 60

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 12:32 PM   #25

Hensley

The Hensley hitch components are all mounted to the trailer one time. The weight distribution bars are adjusted by socket wrench… I use a drill with a socket. The only mounting and dismounting to the truck itself is the bar that slides into the receiver on the hitch. They are pricey; but they fully guaranteed their remanufactured hitches and have them for a discount. The hitch eliminates sway due to it’s design except in extreme crosswind (over 30 mph) then it’s minimal. They would need help, probably, on the very first time set up. I’m 69; and have no problem with the hitch at all. Their customer service is excellent. Good YouTube videos.
crappiejig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 01:04 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birkiebob View Post
Andersen sounds interesting. What is the total weight of the hitch head, including draw bar, ball mount, etc?
Just weighed mine. The ball head and shank assembly is slightly over 25 pounds. I can carry it with one hand. Those are the only pieces you need to carry around — although some just leave the hitch on their truck 24/7. The total package is about 60 pounds with the A-frame brackets, chains, collar in addition to the ball/shank. But those elements stay on the trailer. The biggest workout I get is cranking up my tongue jack— yeah, I’m an old-school guy without a power jack ... yet.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 02:05 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Just weighed mine. The ball head and shank assembly is slightly over 25 pounds. I can carry it with one hand. Those are the only pieces you need to carry around — although some just leave the hitch on their truck 24/7. The total package is about 60 pounds with the A-frame brackets, chains, collar in addition to the ball/shank. But those elements stay on the trailer. The biggest workout I get is cranking up my tongue jack— yeah, I’m an old-school guy without a power jack ... yet.
Wow, that’s half the weight of my e2’s 50# ball mount and shank. Sounds like a weight saver all around!
Birkiebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 05:57 PM   #28

Hitch

Quote:
Thanks
I found that if I clamp the ball down and raise the back of the truck up with the electric toung jack ....The chains easily go on with little resistance ..... Then lower the jack and all is good and tight
SAMM Kinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:04 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
+1 for the Fastway e2 trunnion style WDH.
https://www.amazon.com/Fastway-2-poi.../dp/B0071L3H2E

One can use the trailer's electric jack to lift the TV and trailer together so that the trunnion bars can be placed onto the L-brackets with zero resistance. Each trunnion bar weights about 10 pounds.
Attachment 73893
I’m a big fan of mine. The jack does all the work.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:26 PM   #30

Send a message via Yahoo to Skyron
Hensley hitch has been my go to for 10 years.

[QUOTE=GraphiteDriver;983521]My parents purchased an new TT and I'm having difficulty finding a hitch that is easy for them to use. Their TT is 24 feet long, tandem axle, 400 lb tongue weight. Tow vehicle is a 2014 Silverado 1500, long bed single cab 4.5L V6. Their current hitch is a Husky Centerline TS, but it's heavy and the bars are very difficult for my 71 yr old dad to install if everything is not lined up just right. Dad is out of shape and has limited mobility, which obviously doesn't help. It works as intended, but hitching up is a pain in the ass if truck and trailer are not perfectly lined up and on the same plane. Even I, a strapping young buck hate the thing.
Thanks[/QUOTE
Skyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:28 PM   #31

One thing that makes the Andersen easier to hitch/unhitch is a clevis pin that has a handle instead of that little tip on the end of the pin. Maybe 5 to 15$ depending on where you get one. I also made a leash of so I won't drop/lose my safety pin/clip.
Attached Images

200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:36 PM   #32

Send a message via Yahoo to Skyron
Henley Hitch has been my go to hitch for 10 years. No effort.
It is very easy connecting tow vehicle hitch to trailer. However keeping both vehicles on a similar plane helps. The two hand cranks eliminate any strain or heavy lifting.
Skyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 02:36 AM   #33

I'll just add that I have an andersen, love it. Very easy to hitch up once installed. I've never had to disconnect it backing into a spot, or up my driveway.

My method is to level the trailer once hooked onto the truck, hand tighten the nuts, and then 3 full turns each with the ratchet wrench gets it perfect. Driven in windy plains, on the hwy at 100kmh, and through the mountains in bc, beside big trucks. No sway issues.
OrangeLefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:29 AM   #34

So, I ordered the Anderson for my parents and will sell their current CenterLine TS. If for some reason that doesn't work out for them, I'll sell that and try the Fastway. I'll post their experience with it after the next trip.

Thanks for all the good info!
GraphiteDriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight distibution hitch

« No Hot water | AC »