Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2016, 12:09 AM   #1

Few annoying issues

Still love our 2016 bh but have had some really annoying issues this season. First the USB plugs in bedroom are dead again after fixing last year. Might be related to the battery being junk after storage even though was new just before winter, even though manufacturers warranty covers for 3 years full replacement dealer won't cover a 3rd time in 2 years. The fridge even when set to gas keeps flashing that there is a problem, lucky it is on a seasonal site but makes me nervous about gas issues. Dealer has been useless on any issues, just wondering if any others have had similar problems or solutions. Oh and almost forgot the light on the power jack has not worked since last year and needed to jand crank the jack whengot it on site. Thanks in advance
chuckerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:30 AM   #2
Site Team

My wh experience is to blow out the tube between the gas regulator and valve and the orifice at the burner. That has fixed mine several times when it was working erratically.

It does not take much of a cob web or dead spider to cause that situation.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:32 PM   #3

If you didn't take steps to protect and keep your battery charged over the winter storage you most likely murdered it. It didn't die of natural causes. Low battery and improper charging can cause all of the problems you describe. Other things can cause those problems too.

Some of the requirements for battery warranties are proper storage, use and charging.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:38 PM   #4

I always disconnect my battery after we use it . too many little things draw them down if your not plugged in and charging .. I also store my battery inside and put a trickle charge on it to bring it back up before reinstalling it come spring
Old 08-21-2016, 08:03 PM   #5

I have a new 2016 X23B from day 1 my battery is not working we have charged it and the charger says 100 % I have no power unless plugged in to shore power. The light on power jack does not come on no interior lights work. We have looked for some kind of switch. Going to call dealer again they suggested loose connection. ANY INPUT FROM ANYONE ?
vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan View Post
I have a new 2016 X23B from day 1 my battery is not working we have charged it and the charger says 100 % I have no power unless plugged in to shore power. The light on power jack does not come on no interior lights work. We have looked for some kind of switch. Going to call dealer again they suggested loose connection. ANY INPUT FROM ANYONE ?
Fuse? You should have a 30amp fuse from the main positive cable before it comes in to the camper.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:41 AM   #7

Ditto what spoon said. There are usually 2 fuses (possibly circuit breakers). One feeds the house and the other feeds the jack. Yours may vary.

More info here -

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...ore-39209.html
Old 08-22-2016, 05:52 PM   #8

Guys thanks for the input on the battery issue. We have checked connections and searched for a fuse. GENERAL RV is not being very helpful. We can not locate a junction box or a disconnect switch. The bottom of the coach is enclosed so no help there. When we had it connected to TV and left lights on for maybe 10 min the TV battery died.We have checked the fuses in converter to no avail as well. It's very frustrating as we have had this only since 7/23/16. Everything is great as long as your plugged in. It's a 2 hour haul to get it up there and we have trips planned for most of Sept. Should we disconnect battery till we can take it in?
Old 08-22-2016, 06:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Guys thanks for the input on the battery issue. We have checked connections and searched for a fuse. GENERAL RV is not being very helpful. We can not locate a junction box or a disconnect switch. The bottom of the coach is enclosed so no help there. When we had it connected to TV and left lights on for maybe 10 min the TV battery died.We have checked the fuses in converter to no avail as well. It's very frustrating as we have had this only since 7/23/16. Everything is great as long as your plugged in. It's a 2 hour haul to get it up there and we have trips planned for most of Sept. Should we disconnect battery till we can take it in?
You can buy a 10 dollar battery disconnect switch from Amazon, or wherever that installs on the negative battery post. Mine shows up tomorrow. I won't leave it in storage for more than a few days without turning it off. Cheap insurance for expensive batteries. Over the winter, the battery is coming home with me. I get 7 years out of a properly cared for battery. Yours may be DOA at this point.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:13 PM   #10

Start at the battery + post. Then follow the wire until you find a fuse. Shouldn't be that hard. Usually within a few feet of the battery. For the fuse to the jack just start at the jack and do the same thing. If you end up at a bolt to the frame then follow the other wire.

Your converter and converter fuses should be just fine if you have 12VDC power when connected to shore power. I thought the problem was when disconnected from shore power.

If you disconnect the battery then the converter won't charge it up.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:40 PM   #11

Disconnected from shore power is the problem. Put a charger on last night and it says 100 %.We have traced wires looking for an in line fuse. Finding nothing .A friend told us to check storage areas for a switch. Nope. Grrrr
Old 08-22-2016, 07:50 PM   #12

Anyone have pictures
Old 08-23-2016, 07:50 AM   #13

Since you said it killed the TV battery in 10 min YOU HAVE A SHORT in the wiring.. There is no other explanation (I know of ) that would do that..
Fridge issue.. How many times in a row have you reset the fridge to run on propane.. it takes several attempts to clear the line leading to the fridge of air..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:57 AM   #14

There's a lot distance between my propane tanks & fridge, so I find that if I bleed the air out of the line by lighting the stove top (beside the fridge), then the fridge will start up on gas with no problem.

Otherwise, it's a bit of a race between the air bleeding out of the lines and the number of times that the fridge will try to light itself.

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Disconnected from shore power is the problem. Put a charger on last night and it says 100 %.We have traced wires looking for an in line fuse. Finding nothing .A friend told us to check storage areas for a switch. Nope. Grrrr
Perhaps someone with your particular model will chime in. If you have a TT that does not have a fuse/breaker in the hot wire from the battery it will be the only one manufactured in the last 10-15 years without one.

Additionally, I am assuming you actually have the house feed wire connected to the battery.

Here's another thread where folks eventually found the fuse in question. Perhaps you could PM one of them for a clue.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ery-17003.html
Old 08-24-2016, 06:04 AM   #16

Battery was not left connected over winter and was disconnected when not using. Also during winter storage the battery was removed and connected to a maintenance charger.

I understand 12v power and its limitations very well, have been a mechanic for over 20 years.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:04 AM   #17

I'm sure you know that if you have a bad battery you can get it replaced by anybody who sells that particular brand. You don't have to take it back to the RV dealership. The fact that the dealership says they won't replace it again doesn't mean the battery manufacturer won't.

Another thing that can kill a battery real quick is if the plunger gets pulled from your break away switch.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:24 AM   #18

With all of the issues I a having I have decided to get out of this unit in the next few months or spring. All boils down to the dealer I went through. The choice of 100 for a service call or drive it 60 miles to the dealer (losing time at work since they cannot service days besides monday) makes the warranty pointless
Old 08-25-2016, 12:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckerg View Post
With all of the issues I a having I have decided to get out of this unit in the next few months or spring. All boils down to the dealer I went through. The choice of 100 for a service call or drive it 60 miles to the dealer (losing time at work since they cannot service days besides monday) makes the warranty pointless
Jayco will authorize other Non-Dealer RV repair facilities to perform warranty work if your dealer is being challenging.

If you do chose to get out of this RV, I would caution you to take pause before getting back in to a RV. All mfg have issues.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 12:35 PM   #20

Will be trading the unit in towards another that has much better service dept. Based on reviews from people I know and spoke with at campground and the campground and my home both fall into Thier free service call radius.