Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-20-2018, 07:12 PM   #1

First Time Tower - Nervous

So this is my first trailer and my first time towing anything. I purchased a trailer that lives 5+ hours away, so my first time towing it will be on a long trip back home. Here's what I've got to work with (currently):

Driving a 2008 Honda Ridgeline w/ ball hitch and tow rating of 5000 lbs.

Picking up a Jay Flight 174 (21' trailer with GVRW of 3750lbs). Trailer will be unloaded, so the weight should actually sit just under 3,000 lbs.

I've read a bit about electronic break controls and weight distribution systems but now I'm just looking for some real world advice. What do I need to get this trailer home safely?

Thanks for the help!
Welsh Family RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:25 PM   #2

You need to purchase a brake controller so you have the brakes operating on the trailer, this is a must before traveling. As long as you aren't near maxed out on tongue weight you will be ok to drive home but will probably will want to look into a WDH to get some weight back on the front end for safer driving. The brake controller is just a plug and play device, just make sure you order the correct wire harness for your Honda.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:26 PM   #3

You will need at least a brake control

Never be in a hurry while towing.

anticipate stops

Leave room in front of you

take right turns wide enough

watch your mirrors enough

Never be in a hurry while towing.............
BudMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:29 PM   #4

I don’t think I’d tow anything more than a pop up with a ridgeline. Let us know how it goes. For your sake I hope it goes well. Maybe it’ll turn out to be a good tow vehicle for al I know.

Stop by the scales on your way back and weigh your whole setup as is, weigh the tow vehicle without the trailer and weigh it with it hooked up but the WDH bars off. Post the results and we’ll let you know if it’s safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nighthawk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:32 PM   #5

Oh and make sure your electrical plug on the Ridgeline will fit the Jayco or you have the appropriate adapter. Make sure your hitch is at proper height for the trailer.
BudMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:42 PM   #6

Your Honda will pull that trailer just fine and both the trailer and Honda have the 7 pin connector so no worries. Go to Amazon and look at the Tekonsha P3 brake controller and the matching harness for the Honda, easy to mount and plugs into existing plug under the dash near brake pedal. Here are links for both.

https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-9019...70_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-3070...70_&dpSrc=srch
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:43 PM   #7

Check the owners manual regarding the use of a weight distributing hitch. As I recall Honda does not recommend the use of a weight distributing hitch with the Ridgeline. The Ridgeline should handle things fine once you have things set up properly. As others have suggested, if it didn't come with a integrated brake controller then you do need to pick up an aftermarket one. I know there is another user here on the forum that has towed a 195RB extensively with a Ridgeline so perhaps use the search function and look for additional posts with "Ridgeline" in them.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:51 PM   #8

Another happy Tekonsha P3 brake user, is to install. Here in Calif. it's a state requirement and the dealer wouldn't let me leave without one. I towed my Jay Flight 7 home without a WDH without a problem, but had an Anderson WDH installed before my first trip.
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:14 PM   #9

We have a 2912 Ridgeline and tow a 195rb
We get 12-14 mpg
We do NOT use a WDH
We’ve been across the USA four times easy to West and three north to south
We don’t experience any sag in the rear and the Ridgeline is a little front weighted anyway
We have had our share of evasive maneuvers. Last week when we left two snowplows came bombing out of opposing driveways while we were on a hard snowpack road
Just drive defensively and line on snow try to avoid sudden starts and stops
Yes a brake controller is needed
It’s a nice length combo. We don’t worry about gas stations nor tight campsites

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:22 PM   #10

Check your cargo capacity. There should be a yellow sticker on the drivers door post which will list your cargo capacity. You should be fine but this is the important number, rather than towing capacity..

Good Luck and Happy Camping !

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:58 PM   #11

Brake control is a must have! WDH?....see how it looks once you hook it up. If your TT and TV look like the letter “V” when you stand back and to see how level you are, don’t tow it.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:59 PM   #12

Congratulations with your purchase and welcome to the Forum!
2003 Jayco Kiwi 23B (sold)
1991 Jayco Cardinal SD 14 foot pop up. (Sold)

2014 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab LT Z71 5.3L 4WD
stevenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:26 AM   #13
Site Team

Welcome to our little community!

Being comfortable towing is great but with experience you gain confidence, Just don't get so confident that you get careless.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:24 AM   #14

Thank You.

Thank you all for the feedback. There's a lot of really useful information here and, more importantly to me, some confidence that what I'm doing isn't crazy. The willingness of this group to jump right in to help me out with tips and recommendations is awesome. Thank you all for the support. I can't wait to go pick up our first camper and gain some knowledge to contribute back to the group!
Welsh Family RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:29 AM   #15

I was also a first time tower last year with our Jayco 232 RB when we picked it up. I would agree with the others, the weight distribution is a must as well as the electric brakes. I also had the dealer add a Furion Observation camera to the back of our RV. This allows me to see what is behind the RV at any time I am going down the road, it helps greatly with lane changes, and even backing the unit up.

Just take it slow, I was impressed how easily our F150 tows our Jayco, most of the time with the weight distribution bar I don't even know its there, even up to speeds around 70.

You do have to be mindful of turns to make sure you don't hit anything.

I would recommend going to a big empty lot, like a Walmart later in the day and practice driving around, backing up, etc.
markscns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMor View Post
You will need at least a brake control

Never be in a hurry while towing.

anticipate stops

Leave room in front of you

take right turns wide enough

watch your mirrors enough

Never be in a hurry while towing.............
And one final note other than the brake controller- Never be in a hurry when towing

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:45 AM   #17

Take it slow and easy. Trailer tires are speed rated only to 60 mph. It does take longer for you to stop, so leave plenty of room. The TT should feel as it is stopping you.

If you have never towed before, means you have never backed up a trailer before too. It is a little more challenging. Take it really slow, plan you moves like a game of chess, thinking three moves ahead, where am I, where do I need to be in a moment, where do I need to go. If you place your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel, which ever way you move your hand the TT will turn. If you place your hand at the top of the steering wheel, which ever way you turn your hand, the TT will turn the opposite. My DW guides me back, and most of the time we use our cell phones to communicate. I have the rule, if I cannot see my assistant I STOP, as I do not want to drive over them, if they accidentally trip and fall.

One thing no one mentioned is getting really good mirror extensions. By law (I think every state) you must be able to see the rear corner of your trailer. This ability really helps with lane changes, and backing up.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Check your cargo capacity. There should be a yellow sticker on the drivers door post which will list your cargo capacity. You should be fine but this is the important number, rather than towing capacity..

Good Luck and Happy Camping !
We’ve got two of us. We are ok even with a bike extra propane tank and some wood and a 46 lb genny in the bed
There is still room. It’s real easy to overstuff a Ridgeline with the underbed storage (uh beer cooler)
Don’t forget to include the tongue weight in that payload figure
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote