Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2019, 11:44 PM   #1

Flooded Battery Cases! Warranty Issue?

Just wanted to see what the general consensus was on an issue I just found with my trailer batteries?
I have a Jay flight trailer that we just bought brand-new last spring. We paid the dealer to upgrade to deep cycle dual 6 volt batteries.
Last fall I was disappointed to see a small rusty spot forming on the RV pad under the hitch. I assumed the hitch or frame was rusting underneath.
I noticed yesterday when I walked by the trailer that the rust spot had grown significantly the past few winter months. On closer inspection, I discovered that the plastic battery holding cases were both completely full of water. One of the batteries actually had the terminals almost an inch deep and they were extremely corroded.
The water in the case was acidic and was rusting out the steel battery tray. Water had entered the battery case, the battery, and flushed acid out of it. I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the plastic battery tray to drain the acid water from around the battery.
I assume now that my battery has sat several months under mostly stagnant water with acid leaking out and it is shot...
I'm a new trailer owner so don't know all the ins and outs of what people normally do with their batteries during the off-season, but the dealer had told me I could just leave the batteries in the trailer with the trailer plugged in and it would be fine?
There was a constant supply of power feeding the battery and then draining all winter. It looks like the water was running down the front of the trailer and right over the top of the battery cases, which are vented on top. The way the batteries are placed on the tongue, the cases sit tight against the sheet metal on the front of the trailer...
I'd love to hear people's thoughts on if they think this is a dealer or Jayco warranty issue? No way I could have prevented the cases from filling up with water.
Thoughts? Has anyone ever had this issue? Any problems this may have caused other than bad battery and corroded wiring and steel under the battery?
Thanks in advance for your insight!
Attached Thumbnails
20190415_184410.jpg  
IdahoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 04:46 AM   #2

Trojan has a battery warranty on the T105 this is the warranty they offer.

Trojan Battery Company (“Manufacturer”) warrants each TrojanŽ - branded battery sold by Trojan or any of its authorized distributors or dealers in the United States and Canada (“Battery”) to be free of defects in material and workmanship for a period of 12 months, (except 18 months on T-105, T-105 Plus
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 05:40 AM   #3

A common issue with sealed battery boxes, their job is to contain any spilled battery acid from damaging the enclosed compartment they are installed in, such as boat/RV compartments. I just drill a small hole in the bottom of the battery box to allow drainage when the battery box is exposed to weather like on a TT.. You can buy some battery acid neutralizer/cleaner or just use baking soda and water to clean/neutralize any spilled battery acid. Then repaint. Warranty issue, check with the dealer and go from there.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoJoe View Post
Thoughts? Has anyone ever had this issue?
Sounds like the lid wasn't on correctly. Never had that issue with the 4 TT's and pop-up that we owned. Warranty wouldn't cover that.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:15 AM   #5

I doubt the dealer will warranty the battery if it was damaged by a flooded battery box. Most people remove their battery for storage (also prevents theft) or drill holes in the battery box to prevent this. Our first TT had this issue...I could not figure out how water even got in there but it did. Clean the battery and terminals the best you can, verify the water levels and try charging the battery. Don't assume the electrolyte levels are that far off unless you have a gravity tester. If it won't charge, I'd see if they will warranty it but wouldn't mention a thing about the flooding.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:09 AM   #6

Was your water coming from the weather or perhaps from the batteries being over charged...

Having a constant charge of 13.6VDC on my batteries would cause them to start bubbling out the battery fluids over time...

As it turns out smart mode charging where the 13.6VDC drops to 13.2VDC prevents my batteries from being over charged... I still inspect them on a regular basis when left on charge on a continuous basis...

Your comment about the water being acid corrosive leads me to believe it is battery fluids that is causing the problem not rain water...

Just a thought here...

If I leave my batteries sitting for a long period of time I just switch them totally OFF with my manual operated BLUE SEAS four position switches I have in my battery bank. Then if I see my batteries down to the 12.2VDC or so sitting state I will initiate a battery charge sequence...

I have no idea how any of the warranty for batteries work...

My original 2008 battery bank of 4EA Interstate 85AH batteries in parallel had one battery fail in a few months due to bubbling out of batteries fluids and the remaining three batteries lasted up to 2014 or so when I stopped going camping for various reasons here. I am just now in the process of building up a new battery bank using two groups of GC2 6V Golf cart Batteries in series. They are sitting on my work bench out in the open and every time I test them I am reading 12.7VDC across the two 6VDC batteries connected in series. They have been just sitting there with nothing connected to them for about 5-6 months now... I am just now getting to the point to install my new battery box and cabling and manual switch gear and monitors etc...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:25 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

IdahoJoe,

Welcome to JOF......

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoJoe View Post
snip...... I'd love to hear people's thoughts on if they think this is a dealer or Jayco warranty issue?
I believe RV dealers supply the battery boxes (w/battery) when required....., not Jayco.

As mentioned, most remove the battery box/battery during winter storage and connect to a trickle charger of some kind.

As far as the little vents on the battery box lid I put a strip of electrical tape over them to keep moisture from getting in during the camping season....., plenty of ventilation around the cable entry points under the lid.

You're correct that a TT's front cap acts like a gutter directing water over the battery boxes.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:29 AM   #8

Jayco does not provide battery boxes or batteries. The dealer puts them on and usually charges the customer. You would have to go through the battery manufacture for warranty.
mia389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:40 AM   #9

you have two choices... one take it in and they will take care of it for a cost..
or you can learn how to do it yourself... here are some ideas
1. take the leads off of the batteries..
2. clean them and the battery posts..
3.1 take the caps off and look in each one checking the water level - it should be above the plates
3.2 if the water is below the plates you need to add distilled water to them
3.3 be mindful that the batteries are likely going to fail sooner if the water level is to low.
3. put a Voltmeter on each battery and see what the standing voltage is 6.x v
4. or you can connect them in series and get the voltage reading it should be 13v give or take
5. if the voltage is to low put a battery charger on them and charge them up or take them to a batteries plus and have them load tested...
6. buy new batteries for the summer
7. going forward check the water in them at least once a year
8. if you are leaving your trailer plugged in all winter (i don't know how cold it gets where you live) if it is really cold then take them out if it is somewhere where it doesn't freeze you should be fine.
9. after getting your batteries in and plug in your shore power check the voltage it should never be more than 14.x v and should be 13.2 or 13.4v if the batteries are charged... if they are charged and you are at 14.x v then your trailer charger is not functioning correctly... and needs to be addressed....

The battery box flooding is not a warranty issue... unless your dealer is super duper nice...

if it is a new trailer the trailer charging function would be covered

Good luck!
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:28 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post

The battery box flooding is not a warranty issue... unless your dealer is super duper nice...

if it is a new trailer the trailer charging function would be covered
Since this is a "COMMON" issue, as I had the same issue, and I know of others that encountered the same issue, but I was lucky enough to identify it with only 2" of water in the 2 boxes. I then drilled holes in the bottom of the boxes, and caulked the vents on top, as there was plenty of ventilation around the battery cables entry points . Unfortunately, others have not been as fortunate.

What are the options?
Probably, an effort to recoup the expense of the new batteries from the battery box mfr. on the basis of a defective battery box design. You can guess where that would go.

So, what needs to be done is a "Class Action" suit against the battery box mfr for a defective battery box design that allows for the entry of water through the cover vents. Probably, it would be best if it was initiated by the RV industry, which would never happen.. any lawyers out there? If it was to be pursued, probably would be best to post on all the RV/Marine forums to build a big base.

Just my thoughts,
Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:36 AM   #11

First trip we took I ran through rain for several hours. When I got home I went to disconnect the battery ( switch is inside the lid to keep it out of curious hands).

I found about 3 inches of water that had blown up the cable inlet.

Pulled the battery, choose a spot where drips would not be hitting the frame, drilled two 1/2 holes in the bottom.

No problems since.

A sealed bottom would be good if it was inside my RV and not on the hitch.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
First trip we took I ran through rain for several hours. When I got home I went to disconnect the battery ( switch is inside the lid to keep it out of curious hands).

I found about 3 inches of water that had blown up the cable inlet.

Pulled the battery, choose a spot where drips would not be hitting the frame, drilled two 1/2 holes in the bottom.

No problems since.

A sealed bottom would be good if it was inside my RV and not on the hitch.
X2, it is a fairly common complaint. The box design allows the moisture away in and no way to escape. It enters in the form of road spray and as condensation.

When we purchased this TT, the dealer drilled a few holes in the bottom of the case. They added about four 1/4" drain holes when they secured the box to the battery box rail (assuming the same size pilot holes). Works great. No water build up, no rust, no issues.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:46 AM   #13
Site Team

Sure hope the EPA is not monitoring this thread or any of the others that are related to drain holes in the battery box that could let battery acid leaking out into the environment.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Old 04-18-2019, 10:17 AM   #14

I drilled holes in my battery box for drainage. Between the vent slits and the cable openings, water was a problem. Where's the battery acid coming from to spill on the ground? My motorcycle battery has a vent tube that goes straight to the pavement.
Kozmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:22 AM   #15

Thanks for all the great replies! I had no idea this would be such a widespread and common issue. I'm surprised that with all the research I've done about TT upkeep and maintenance I've never run across this issue before. I think the only way I could have avoided the issue completely would have been to drill holes in the cases before the issue even started. Hopefully some newbies like me run across this post and learn the lesson the easy way Time to start battery shopping
IdahoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Sure hope the EPA is not monitoring this thread or any of the others that are related to drain holes in the battery box that could let battery acid leaking out into the environment.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
I suspect the EPA would have no viable ability to do anything to enforce something that doesn't exist...

I would put the hole up on the side of the box about 1/2 inch then the acid will stay in the box.. should the water be added it will go out with the acid.. maybe even run a tube so it stays away from the metal parts like on motorcycles, ATV's ,etc...
Old 04-18-2019, 11:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Since this is a "COMMON" issue, as I had the same issue, and I know of others that encountered the same issue, but I was lucky enough to identify it with only 2" of water in the 2 boxes. I then drilled holes in the bottom of the boxes, and caulked the vents on top, as there was plenty of ventilation around the battery cables entry points . Unfortunately, others have not been as fortunate.

What are the options?
Probably, an effort to recoup the expense of the new batteries from the battery box mfr. on the basis of a defective battery box design. You can guess where that would go.

So, what needs to be done is a "Class Action" suit against the battery box mfr for a defective battery box design that allows for the entry of water through the cover vents. Probably, it would be best if it was initiated by the RV industry, which would never happen.. any lawyers out there? If it was to be pursued, probably would be best to post on all the RV/Marine forums to build a big base.

Just my thoughts,
Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
how do you sue someone for building a box to specification and use type? the box is designed to hold the acid in it... and it has to be vented....for a weather proof environment (in a boat, enclosed space in a trailer, under a hood, etc... now if you use it outside of it's designed parameters i.e. using it in an unprotected outside environment you have to do modifications to it or understand it's limitations and purchase a case that meets your new specs...

no wonder everything is so expensive... lawyer up for a $5 box and a $150 battery???
Old 04-18-2019, 12:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Don't let anyone know, but battery acid is the same acid that is in our stomach.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:14 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
how do you sue someone for building a box to specification and use type? the box is designed to hold the acid in it... and it has to be vented....for a weather proof environment (in a boat, enclosed space in a trailer, under a hood, etc... now if you use it outside of it's designed parameters i.e. using it in an unprotected outside environment you have to do modifications to it or understand it's limitations and purchase a case that meets your new specs...

no wonder everything is so expensive... lawyer up for a $5 box and a $150 battery???

Don't forget to add in some cases $500+ for batteries that get ruined.

The case design is great, it is the cover with the vent in it that is not designed properly to allow the gasses to escape and keep the rain water out. Since I caulked the cover vent on each of the battery cases, the inside of the cases are bone dry.

All they would need to do is raise the vent with a inlet that is not level with the top of the case. Mine only has a 1/16" raised area and the opening above that. Rain splashing next to the opening will allow water to get in. If the TT is not level and angled so the water could run into the vent opening.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Old 04-18-2019, 12:17 PM   #20

I pull the battery out of the trailer and store it in a partially heat garage during the off season. I also keep the battery case covered with a tarp but it's still not unusual to find some water in the bottom of the case (an ounce or two) when I open things up in the spring (there is hole in the bottom of the case to let excessive water drain out).

Left outside even with the battery cover you're going to get water in the case via wind swept rain. Over a few months I wouldn't be surprised to find a significant about water in the case especially if there we no holes in the bottom of the case to drain water.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote