Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-07-2020, 01:47 PM   #1

Furnace Issue Jay Flight SLX 7 184BS

Hello all. I recently ran into an issue with my furnace. When I turn the thermostat on, the blower works for about 30 seconds and then turns off. During this time, it doesn't even seem that its attempting to ignite. Tried pulling the fuse, replacing propane tank, and bled the gas lines. I believe it is the sail switch. The problem I'm facing is that I have no idea where to access it from. The furnace is built into the unit and I was not able to find any places that i could disassemble to access. There is no access from outside either. Maybe there is a way to access it from the stove? Has anyone had experience with this? Thank you in advance!

-Eric
ericwolf11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 01:49 PM   #2

Increase the temp on the thermostat to max temp and try it again.
Pikespeakfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 02:02 PM   #3

Brand name and model number of the furnace would help. Several brands out there. Also, with the brand and model number look at what one looks like to buy so you would recognize it. Most I have seen have a metal plate with and inlet and outlet which is easily removable. Take it off and look for obvious problems like blockages. Go outside and inspect the furnace burner vent for wasp nests or blockages.
Some have a reset switch, often well hidden, that might fix the problem.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 03:30 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
You have to remove the furnace for bench testing if it doesn't have an access-door on the outside. It would be not be necessarily the sail switch, it might be the flame probe etc.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 05:07 PM   #5

Had the same issue with my Dometic furnace. To make a looooooong story short, they replaced the circuit board twice, the sail switch, fixed the ignitor connector...and each time it worked again....and then broke again.

It was in the shop for the same issue 4x. Each time they promised it was fixed.

So then i spent better part of 2 and half months fighting with Jayco to get it replaced.

Good luck! I hope its something simple. There are plenty of threads here discussing furnace problems. Basic idea is it has a bunch of fail-safes such that if there is no Gas, no spark, or no air flowing, it does exactly what is happening to you.
Morttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:04 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericwolf11 View Post
Hello all. I recently ran into an issue with my furnace. When I turn the thermostat on, the blower works for about 30 seconds and then turns off. During this time, it doesn't even seem that its attempting to ignite. Tried pulling the fuse, replacing propane tank, and bled the gas lines. I believe it is the sail switch. The problem I'm facing is that I have no idea where to access it from. The furnace is built into the unit and I was not able to find any places that i could disassemble to access. There is no access from outside either. Maybe there is a way to access it from the stove? Has anyone had experience with this? Thank you in advance!

-Eric
Just for grins, check the videos this fellow has done. It may just give you an idea on what's causing your issue.

https://myrvworks.com/

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:49 PM   #7

I'm having the same issue with a 2017 X17Z I bought a week ago. I just fixed the refrigerator and now I'm tackling the heater. It just will not turn on! (And, yes, I turned the thermostat all the way up.) It's a Dometic judging by the print on the thermostat; however, there's not indication anywhere as to what model number it is. And there seems to be no access to the 'guts' of the heater. There is no access outside. Inside, I can remove the front grill, but I see nothing that allows access to electronics. Lord help me if I have to pull this furnace out.
Smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:06 PM   #8

Yea, similar setup in my 2017 17XFD, though i don't have the fridge on top. Unfortunately, you'll need to pull the heater to get at anything interesting.

Its not the worst though, remove the outside metal flange first, then there should be a couple of screws visible from the inside after you take the grill off. The unit pulls out to the inside.

There is also a reset button on the left side in back on top as i recall...unlikely to fix it, but may be worth a shot.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morttt View Post
Yea, similar setup in my 2017 17XFD, though i don't have the fridge on top. Unfortunately, you'll need to pull the heater to get at anything interesting.

Its not the worst though, remove the outside metal flange first, then there should be a couple of screws visible from the inside after you take the grill off. The unit pulls out to the inside.

There is also a reset button on the left side in back on top as i recall...unlikely to fix it, but may be worth a shot.
Exactly what I had to do. I reset the switch before removing the furnace—that got the fan working, but not the heat. I pulled the unit and pulled out the sail switch. It was a little dirty; so I cleaned it. Tested everything before reinstalling and by golly it worked!
Old 05-27-2020, 02:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky View Post
Exactly what I had to do. I reset the switch before removing the furnace—that got the fan working, but not the heat. I pulled the unit and pulled out the sail switch. It was a little dirty; so I cleaned it. Tested everything before reinstalling and by golly it worked!
Nice!

yea, its a complex system, but really there's only a few things that can go wrong:
-Fan blows - requires power and possibly resettting circuit board (button)
-sail switch - make sure air is blowing before lighting it up
-Temperature sensor/cutoff - can't be too hot or shuts down
-(dual) solenoid - redundant cutoff for gas flow - doesn't start unless above all check out as good and fan is active (as reported by sail switch)
-flame sensor - "Am i burning?"
-Ignitor - Go!
-Circuit board - ties it all together (this is an $80 part on Amazon, FYI)

If you do get it out, the sail switch and thermo cutoff can be tested with a multimeter - should be 0 Ohms when active.
If the fan is running, but you don't hear a spark, its likely the sail switch (more) or thermo (less likely) - the circuit doesn't try to light it if there's no air or too hot, shuts down and tries again in a few minute (x3)
If you hear a spark, but no fire, could be a bad/dirty/disconnected ignitor, bad/dirty flame sensor, or (unlkely) broken solenoid - no gas flow or no spark means it shuts down to avoid flooding the cabin with unburnt gas.

If everything else seems to be working, its the circuit board

I had the circuit board replaced twice
The ignitor cable was loose once
The sail switch was replaced once.

Then i spent 3 months on the phone to get a new furnace under warranty.

Good luck!
Old 05-28-2020, 09:18 AM   #11

Yup, I used a multimeter to test everything you mentioned.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:23 AM   #12

Reset switch—Atwood furnace X17Z

Here’s a picture of the reset switch on subject furnace. Left hand side, rear, just by those wires.
Attached Thumbnails
5D1DBC70-9A0A-4EAA-8D59-C67C128985C0.jpg  
Old 12-02-2021, 02:18 PM   #13

2012 Jayco 184

My furnace won’t ignite. It goes thru the 3 attempts then shuts down. I can’t locate brand name of furnace or where the sail Switch is to check it. Anybody have any info?
Jimdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace location