Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-19-2019, 06:15 PM   #1

Generator Size

Sorry if this has been posted already, new to the group. I purchased a new 2019 Jayco Jay Flight 242bhs. I am looking at purchasing a new generator for it. What size should I get? Using the standard thinking it is a 30 amp plug X 120 volt=3600 watt generator. Is this large enough to run the AC on this unit. I have been told many different sizes for the unit. All the way up to a 7000 watt start up and 6500 continuous. Just want the correct size so I do not “starve” the AC unit or shut TV off on start up of AC. New to the camping world and just want to get correct size. Thank you in advance.
Highvoltagelineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:25 AM   #2

Do you have the 13K or 15K BTU AC? It won't really matter that much but you should be fine with a 3500 starting genny. Grab an inverter generator too. I hear the predators are doing really well for their price points and I've personally heard a few running. They're super quiet and I think they are as quiet or quieter than the Honda. You could also get 2 2K watt inverter generators and run them in sync to power the trailer.
You probably won't be able to run the AC and microwave at the same time but everything else should work running all at once. You could also install a soft start for the AC which will do nothing but help the generator and AC work that much better.
There are numerous videos on YouTube showing folks running various generators with their TTs. Check them and see what you think.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan3306 View Post
Do you have the 13K or 15K BTU AC? It won't really matter that much but you should be fine with a 3500 starting genny. Grab an inverter generator too. I hear the predators are doing really well for their price points and I've personally heard a few running. They're super quiet and I think they are as quiet or quieter than the Honda. You could also get 2 2K watt inverter generators and run them in sync to power the trailer.
You probably won't be able to run the AC and microwave at the same time but everything else should work running all at once. You could also install a soft start for the AC which will do nothing but help the generator and AC work that much better.
There are numerous videos on YouTube showing folks running various generators with their TTs. Check them and see what you think.
The soft start nathan3066 is talking about is the micro Air soft start.
I have one as well as do many on this forum. It works great.

https://www.microair.net/products/ea...nt=30176048267

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:16 AM   #4

You should be fine with a generator of at least 3000watts or more. Definitely look for an inverter generator. They are more expensive but run much quieter than a construction grade generator.
The only time you may run into an issue is trying to use a few high draw devices at the same time. Microwave and AC at the same time or if you battery is really dead and you have a 30amp converter that can pull around 400watts or so.

I wouldn't bother with a soft start if you get a generator over 3000 watts. I run our AC off a 2000 Watt generator but I have to make sure nothing else in the trailer is turned on.

Cheers
Old 06-20-2019, 02:47 PM   #5

Thank you guys for all your help. I thought what I was told seemed oversized for my needs.
Highvoltagelineman is offline   Reply With Quote