Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-22-2020, 12:27 AM   #41

Send a message via MSN to Tonyzsi
I built a 20x18 parking pad for my camper last year. A friend scraped some of the sod off with his Kubota with a bucket. I hand dug the rest and boy what a workout! I ran electric out to a 4x4 post I buried so I could plug in the camper. Then I laid down commercial weed block (purchased a 6' wide roll). Next I put down 3-4 tons or 2-3" of #2 stone (the pile in the picture). That was impossible to move with a shovel!!! Those stones are big and heavy. Finally I put an inch or two layer of #57 stone. I should have used CR6 for the final layer since it has some stone dust in it which would help lock in the stones and maybe keep dirt/leaves from getting down into the rocks.
My pad has a slope to it so on 1 side I put down the 4x8x12 concrete blocks and on the other side I put down a 2x12 of PT lumber. I built a parking block and glued/screwed it to the 2x12 so I stop at the exact same spot every time. Her are a few pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
ParkingPad-1.jpg   ParkingPad-10c.jpg   ParkingPad-13.jpg   ParkingPad-15.jpg  
Old 10-22-2020, 06:18 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenar View Post
Concrete is terrible for rotting steel. It holds the moisture. Gravel is your best option
What steel are you worried about rotting? And how much moisture do you think it holds?
ericloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:45 AM   #43

When we landscaped we had them scrape the old grass out. They then put down commercial land scape fabric and 3/4- gravel. I then got 2 8' 2 X 10s. I painted the boards with wood preservative. I leveled the boards to each other and staked them down. The bords seem to last a long time. I was told that the tires last longer with no dirt contact.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 05:19 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Guest View Post
I'm looking to build a gravel pad in my side yard to store my travel trailer. I've been told parking these directly on grass can be damaging in the long term. So my plan is to rent a tractor with the excavator arm on it and dig out a little pad and then put down stone or gravel.

My question is, how deep should I dig up to put down stone? 4in? More? Less? I think stone would be the best option as we don't plan to stay in this house more than another few years and would make it reversible. But i'm open to other suggestions!
Put geotextile down first, it will stabilize your pad
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:44 AM   #45

I just let the grass die. Then raked planter area across dead grass to level, laid down weed cloth, then put 2 inches of 3/4 crushed rock.
Attached Thumbnails
2321F5ED-CF08-480D-BE50-EAD58E61D354.jpeg