Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2016, 08:53 PM   #1

Grease spread on my rims

I have a brand new 2016 jayflight 267bhs xls, and took it out on the road for a about a 200 mile each way trip. I get back home today and noticed both rims on the drivers side have grease sprayed on the rims from the high speeds. The other rims on the other side are nice and clean. I am not sure what this could mean, is it serious? It's a brand new unit... any thoughts?
Claytonbwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:15 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Probably to much grease in the bearings which pushed the back seal out. It might have ruined the brake shoes. But you only will know by disassembly of the hubs.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:26 PM   #3

Uh oh... that doesn't sound good.. I have a trip over labor day, do I need to get it looked at before that?
Old 08-13-2016, 09:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytonbwn View Post
Uh oh... that doesn't sound good.. I have a trip over labor day, do I need to get it looked at before that?
Yes you should. If the rear seal is blown it is very likely you have grease on the shoes which means no brakes on that side of the trailer.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:34 PM   #5

Okay, thanks you so much for the replies
Old 08-13-2016, 09:43 PM   #6

Grease Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytonbwn View Post
If your trailer is under warranty and your not a long way away from the dealer I would take it to them and have them check the bearing grease seals in the back of the hubs. Could be over greased as already posted or could be defective seals.

If your mechanically inclined it is no big deal to check them yourself. You could probably pull and check both wheels in an hour or less. Since it doesn't sound like you have lots of miles on it I doubt your brakes are ruined. If they have some grease on them and don't appear to be saturated you can clean that grease off with the red can of Brakekleen brake cleaning spray.

There is another thread on here about packing bearings that has some pictures and basic instructions. You can also probably find it on YouTube, it's not hard to do.

But with it basically being new it would not hurt to have the dealer check the bearings especially if your not familiar with it.
Doboy Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:03 PM   #7

I will have to take it in, thank you so much. I am learning a ton, this is my first trailer.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:15 PM   #8
BCK

Is the grease on the inside or outside of the rim? The friends we camped with a couple weeks ago had a new jayco and I noticed grease on two of his rims. It was on the outside and looked to be coming from the dust caps.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:28 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCK View Post
Is the grease on the inside or outside of the rim? The friends we camped with a couple weeks ago had a new jayco and I noticed grease on two of his rims. It was on the outside and looked to be coming from the dust caps.
This is another consideration and it happened on one of mine. If the rubber plug is not installed correctly grease can leak out onto the wheel on the outside of the rim.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:54 AM   #10

I've seen many folks have this problem both inside and outside the wheels but usually on boat trailers where they are using the "EZ Lube" feature where they utilize a zerk fitting to drive grease into and water out of the bearings after the wheels were submerged. They just keep pumping grease not realizing they are filing the entire hub.

I don't really get the purpose of having that setup on an RV. Not sure if the OP has it or not, the thought just came to me though.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:31 AM   #11
Site Team

My rig came new with over greased hubs and I have heard about it happening to others also who had never put a grease fitting on the on the EZ Lube fitting.

Get it checked out and documented by your dealer. In my case they had to replace the brake assemblies on all 4 wheels. In my case, I did not see grease but noticed that the brakes were not as effective as they should have been.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:09 PM   #12

Thanks, I hope they can get me in quickly and that it doesn't take 8 weeks... have you had good turn around on issues like this when you take it to a dealer?
Old 08-14-2016, 01:09 PM   #13

Thanks so much! I hope it isn't a major thing... hoping the dealer can get me in quickly.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:16 PM   #14
Site Team

In my case my dealer dealt with Jayco and Dexter. Dexter shipped 4 new brake assemblies and it took a couple of weeks to get it worked out and installed.

All warranty covered.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 08-14-2016, 02:54 PM   #15

Grease is the word...
Old 08-14-2016, 02:58 PM   #16
Site Team

is the word, is the word, is the word.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 08-14-2016, 04:09 PM   #17

dont fret too much its just too much grease in the bearings.If you have greasable bearings take the rubber cap off of the bearing cap and scoop out some grease.The grease will get hot when you are brakinga lot causing it to liquify somewhat and thats when it will leak out the caps.mine were actually cracked so i replaced them and all is good.having said that,these trailers are made cheap and fast these days so it wouldnt be out of the norm to see something go bad after being put into service.if you can change a tire you can check your wheel bearings.its messy but its not that difficult.All the the instructions are on you tube.yours may be covered by warranty if its new.any one that owns these rigs should become familiar with certain maintainence issues as the alternative is spending alot of cash on R&M
trento is offline   Reply With Quote