Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2021, 10:16 PM   #1

Help Switch wire colors don't match

On my 94 Jayco travel trailerThe hot water switch went out. I have attached a pic of the wires as well as the switch as you can see the colors don't match someone please help it's been months since this worked and my husband took it apart and doesn't remember
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20210907-210745_Messenger.jpg   20210907_201417.jpg  
Megskelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 07:45 PM   #2

Do you have the old switch. Does the old switch match the new switch?
You have more wires than places to land the wires. It make me think you have the wrong switch. If you contact Jayco with the vin number they can send you a wiring. Diagram.
ggilbert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggilbert View Post
If you contact Jayco with the vin number they can send you a wiring. Diagram.
Not for a 94, they only go back 20 years tops...
Old 09-08-2021, 08:10 PM   #4

I would look at the water heater to see if the same colors arrive there. Hopefully the connection will be labelled.

In any event, these are all low voltage. With some trial and error you may be able to determine manually which wire does what. Basically the wiring will have a single wire for each of the following:

+12 volts
Common (ground)
Water heater power on
Non-ignition light

These are basically 4 wires for 2 separate circuits. One circuit is the +12 volts and Water heater power on. When a switch connects these two together it fires up the water heater. The other two wires are there just to light the non-ignition light. They have nothing to do with the turn on function. They just light the LED when the propane is in the lighting stage and will turn off once a flame is detected.

I would poke around with a voltmeter to see which wire is +12 volts and ground. If you can determine this, put the ground connection on the light connector and the +12 on the switch. Now you have a 50-50 chance for the remaining 2 wires. One wire will be sending 12 volts to the water heater, the other will be receiving 12 volts from the water heater. Maybe you could ohm out the wires to see which is which or maybe the color code will be correct.

It is a crap shoot to see if Jayco used the colors that the water heater specifies. Most often they use whatever is at hand. Looking at your picture my best guess is the red wire is +12 volts and the bundle of wires is common ground.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I would look at the water heater to see if the same colors arrive there. Hopefully the connection will be labelled.

In any event, these are all low voltage. With some trial and error you may be able to determine manually which wire does what. Basically the wiring will have a single wire for each of the following:

+12 volts
Common (ground)
Water heater power on
Non-ignition light

These are basically 4 wires for 2 separate circuits. One circuit is the +12 volts and Water heater power on. When a switch connects these two together it fires up the water heater. The other two wires are there just to light the non-ignition light. They have nothing to do with the turn on function. They just light the LED when the propane is in the lighting stage and will turn off once a flame is detected.

I would poke around with a voltmeter to see which wire is +12 volts and ground. If you can determine this, put the ground connection on the light connector and the +12 on the switch. Now you have a 50-50 chance for the remaining 2 wires. One wire will be sending 12 volts to the water heater, the other will be receiving 12 volts from the water heater. Maybe you could ohm out the wires to see which is which or maybe the color code will be correct.

It is a crap shoot to see if Jayco used the colors that the water heater specifies. Most often they use whatever is at hand. Looking at your picture my best guess is the red wire is +12 volts and the bundle of wires is common ground.
It looks like there are more that 4 wires there.
I wonder if it’s a propane/electric heater. Or if there where multiple switches there ex my panel is battery level, tank status , water pump switches and water heater switches.
Old 09-08-2021, 08:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggilbert View Post
It looks like there are more that 4 wires there.
I wonder if it’s a propane/electric heater. Or if there where multiple switches there ex my panel is battery level, tank status , water pump switches and water heater switches.
Your best bet is to get the model number of the water heater to see what it needs. All bets are off if you had a control panel there for other things. Hopefully someone will have the same rig and can say what is there.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Your best bet is to get the model number of the water heater to see what it needs. All bets are off if you had a control panel there for other things. Hopefully someone will have the same rig and can say what is there.
It’s strange too that they are wire nutted instead of wires with spade terminals. But maybe that’s because it’s a older rig.
Old 09-08-2021, 11:22 PM   #8

It's the exact same as what was on there
Megskelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help needed.