Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2019, 04:40 PM   #1

Help with counter top repair please

Apparently water got behind the trim and the counter swelled up. Is there anyway to repair this?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6134.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	51385
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:15 PM   #2

Only way I know to fix that is replace, the particle board will continue to fall apart now that it has gotten wet.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:44 PM   #3

That stinks. The camper is a little over a year old. What are the x chances we can get it fixed under warranty?
Old 07-10-2019, 09:12 PM   #4

If less than 2 years old . . . Take the warranty route. The edges should be sealed to prevent water damage resulting from normal use. Don’t tell them you’re talking baths in the kitchen sink
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:34 PM   #5

Thanks I’ll try that. May made one year since we bought it.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:58 PM   #6

This is a water issue and I doubt it would be covered by a warranty. Takes quite a lot of water to cause it to swell. Best practice is to wipe the counter to keep water off of it. You may want to look into a solid surface product which has no wood core that can become an issue with water.
Good Luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:10 PM   #7

i think water ran under the metal flip-up stove cover and went unnoticed and ran over the edge by the stove.

if not replaced under warranty what are some good solid surface products to try.

would Lowes replace the counter top?
Old 07-15-2019, 01:44 PM   #8

I went through the same on my Hummingbird. Work with your dealer and keep Jayco informed. Photos sent to both in the same email. It can take time but it is better than making your own countertop. You should ask the dealer to make sure all edges and openings are sealed.

While mine was being replaced I bought a real kitchen faucet from Home Depot and the dealer put it in for me.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggilbert View Post
i think water ran under the metal flip-up stove cover and went unnoticed and ran over the edge by the stove.

if not replaced under warranty what are some good solid surface products to try.

would Lowes replace the counter top?
Big box stores like Depot/Lowes don't install, they just sell stuff. Check your area for a cabinet shop, formica, corian, etc, they can make it to size and install just like in a house, hopefully its covered under warranty.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Big box stores like Depot/Lowes don't install, they just sell stuff. Check your area for a cabinet shop, formica, corian, etc, they can make it to size and install just like in a house, hopefully its covered under warranty.
X2 All the big box stores sub the actual work to local shops adding their markup. Any of the brands of SS are good today, Corian, HiMacs (LG) Avonite etc. If you want a laminate top you will get a much better counter since the original counters are thermos fused melamine not High Pressure Laminate (Think Formica). As said any local shop can do either product for you and with a vast array of colors. When I had my shop we did many counters, table, etc on RV's... much of the time using waste from other jobs saving customers $$.

Good Luck.

Again if it's water under the drop in stove, that's not a warranty item (they MAY cover it) but it's really a house keeping issue. With the sinks being so close to the range I understand it happens, but the water needs to be wiped up immediately when it splashes. Also a small bead of caulk around the range will help stop the water from getting in in the first place.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote