Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-04-2021, 04:55 PM   #1

Hi all, new Kiwi Too U22 owner

Hi all,

I’m really glad to have found this great forum, which my RV newbie wife and RV newbie me will surely get a great lot of good out of. A few weeks ago we bought a 2003 Kiwi Too U22 trailer that’s in quite good shape with the exception of one aspect that I’ll describe in a moment. At any rate, we’re planning to be totally retired later in 2022 and this trailer looks to be perfect for our needs. We’ll pull it with our 2019 Chevy Colorado, which felt pretty good for the trip from the sellers to our place. We plan to install a brake controller (obvious one for sure), an “Air Lift” kit in the rear suspension, and a rear view camera would be very neat (am I a pro at backing up large trailers? No, no I am not…!). A neighbor suggests a fancier anti-sway hitch, too.

So the one big issue we’re finding with it is that the roof seam that’s about two feet forward of the curved rear of the trailer was pretty failed, and had allowed a considerable amount of water/moisture to infiltrate the rear (bathroom) wall and some of the ceiling. We’re beginning to carefully tear into that and for starters let it all really dry out 100%, etc. No bad smell really at all, so I think it’s largely just trapped water/moisture, no substantial mildew or fungus or anything it seems, which is good I think. My first and foremost question for you all here, is whether any of you know of any good sources of replacement parts and materials that we’ll need to make this basic structural/aesthetic (vinyl-like bathroom wall covering type stuff, etc) repair? E.g. there’s a big curved foam panel at the back wall/ceiling area that we might replace, or we may just carefully remove it and allow more and better drying-out, etc. Any thoughts here would be really appreciated.

I’d note that as soon as we got the trailer home, we got access to the roof and the bad seam, and applied a liberal amount of “Flex-Seal” liquid (not the paste) on the seam and surrounding area. I don’t know if you’re following Colorado Front Range weather currently, but it’s not raining or snowing, like AT ALL, here yet, so it’s got a good chance to cure and dry out, that’s for sure.

Again, really looking forward to learning a lot here over the coming months and years! Charley Hale and Leigh Campbell-Hale, Lafayette CO
Chale44incolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 09:25 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the Forum from Western New York State!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 09:49 PM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new to you Jayco.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote