Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-10-2015, 05:46 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzLiz View Post
Large dogs with excellent hearing and big deep scary sounding barks!
Our big dog with a big bark is nearly blind and going deaf, BUT the little dog gets the big dog barking by yapping at real (and imagined) sights and sounds.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:07 AM   #82

A dog would be a great deturrent. Now that I have a five year old son. Gotta rethink where use to keep the rifle. Where do others keep there guns stored. Out of kids reach. Thinking overhead cubby above bed. Kept it under the bed.

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:18 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donedroolin View Post
A dog would be a great deturrent. Now that I have a five year old son. Gotta rethink where use to keep the rifle. Where do others keep there guns stored. Out of kids reach. Thinking overhead cubby above bed. Kept it under the bed.
Wherever u keep it, keep it locked. Even in that cabinet, a 5 yo can reach it if he stands on the bed. Also, expose the little ones (safely) as much as possible; take the mystery and intrigue out as much as possible and make sure they fully understand the danger and responsibility involved. Also stress they are not to mention that firearm to anyone under any circumstance.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:33 AM   #84

I would carry a firearm, with a permit from my state.
My family comes first!
I would deal with "the Law" later.
linkbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:58 AM   #85

Dogs. Guns. Both. But keep in mind, if you ever use a gun on a person, your life will change. Still, as the old saying goes, better to be judged by 12 than carried by six.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:51 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dster View Post
I prepare a different way than most of you.. I "encourage" my wife to take all her makeup off after dark and to also disrobe.. ( her hair is always a mess so I don't mention that) .. If anyone attempts to enter our swamp eagle after dark between her and the dog running, screaming, barking and urinating on the floor " the dog not her I hope".. The intruder will surely change his ways... I hope this helps in your future voyages.. Helpful hints from Dash..
So funny, now I have to clean my computer screen as I spit coffee all over it.

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 01:07 PM   #87

I do not own a gun and never likely will. Camp in places with other campers...safety in numbers. I have two dogs and they would bark before someone got anywhere near a door.....giving me time to prepare......if someone was breaking in....they would get hit hard many time with an object of my choosing.

I like the panic button idea of my truck as well.....it would alert other campers, again safety with numbers.

To me if someone is brash enough to break in while they know someone is there.....have at it, they will deserve what ever they get and no court in any land will find that you acted irrational.

I had to break in to mine own camper when I lock my keys inside, I borrowed the neighbors key for the underneath my bed storage area and pushed up my bed...it took seconds. I have since changed the locks and now keep a spare key on my trailer. No one has been able to find it...I told 3 people to look for it and they know that there is a key and they have not been successful.

Can some one break in, yes but I have insurance for that very reason. My trailer is parked on a seasonal site and people who camp near me are all seasonal site campers as well, they will question anyone who is walking around my site as will I if I saw a stranger around their campers.

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:08 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask934 View Post
.if someone was breaking in....they would get hit hard many time with an object of my choosing.
X2. But choosing can be hard. Let's see, .40? .45?
Old 03-14-2015, 01:18 PM   #89

With California State Parks, almost always attached to the check-in receipts you put on your TT and TV is an attachment warning of recent thefts of chained/locked generators ... where there is a will, there is a way. On the flipside, our dog is an added security alarm when a noise is too close.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 05:09 PM   #90

Years ago when my retired parents were RVing across the country, they pulled into a state park after dark. As my dad backed the motorhome into a space, the headlights illuminated a popup across the campground road. Next to the entrance was a huge pair of men's boots.

Dad was intrigued and made it a point to open the windshield curtain as soon as they arose because he wanted to see the man who owned those boots. He was surprised and amused when two older ladies packed up to leave... including the giant-sized boots.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 05:53 PM   #91

Camping is all about having a good time. There are thieves everywhere. But would they be willing to break into an occupied camper. I would hope not, but if someone tries to get in my camper, I will protect my family with every and all means necessary.

2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Old 03-14-2015, 06:02 PM   #92

I just thought I'd throw this out there...for those that don't own/nor want to own firearms, Tasers are a safer alternative, IMO. No, I don't work for Taser, but when my daughters go off to college, No firearms allowed on almost all college campuses, I will be buying them each a civilian Taser. If you ever have to use it to incapacitate someone, Taser will replace for free. Law enforcement Tasers give the bad guys a 7 second charge and the civilian model gives them a 30 second charge.

Dan
Old 03-14-2015, 06:39 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
I just thought I'd throw this out there...for those that don't own/nor want to own firearms, Tasers are a safer alternative, IMO.
Had not considered a Taser, but they do make sense. Glad you mentioned it.

Our son is a paramedic who has seen them used when someone at the scene gets too rowdy. He said they will put the biggest, baddest SOB on the floor in a second. He especially enjoys seeing the perp at a domestic abuse call get zapped when he gets belligerent with the police.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:59 AM   #94

Bringing a teaser along is a good idea

2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Old 03-25-2015, 11:58 AM   #95

Not everyone can (or wants) to sleep with a pistola under the mattress, and NONE of us want holes through our rigs! I really like the idea of keeping your TV/Toad key-fob handy at all times, and just press the alarm button ... that would scare-away all critters (both 2-foot and 4-foot types) in the blink of an eye! Bet Amazon even has some alarm solutions that would work the same way, or maybe there is a SmartPhone security alarm app.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:30 PM   #96

Pepper spray, tasers, honking horns, all these non lethal devices will do the trick, assuming the problem is the kid next door. A street thug on meth, not so much. Someone who enters an occupied "residence" is a real problem. Multiple taser shots have failed to stop some guys, same with light caliber handguns. The guy can still hurt you tonight and bleed out tomorrow. We have bear spray, but it's backed up with other stuff.
'14 Denali XL
Old 03-25-2015, 01:04 PM   #97

Bear spray, 6in hunting knife, 12ga short tactical, and a Rottweiler here. Never had a single problem.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:12 PM   #98

If your cautious where you camp, security is really not a major issue. I feel as safe camping as I do in my Brick and Stick house. Saying you carry a gun and that makes you safe is a false security ( and I am a CCW holder). the vast majority of people are not prepared to safely use a weapon in a critical situation. We work kamp so we spend about half the year in our TT. I have never felt threatened, or felt any of my "stuff" was in jeopardy. We leave for several days at a time several times a month and have never had so much as a log removed from our site. I could list all the times folks reported something "stolen" on one hand, and, in reality they left it behind and called the next day...things like blocks for leveling etc...people probably thought ( correctly) they were left behind and took them.. I don't call that stealing.

A spray can of hornet repellant would be as good as anything if you really felt threatened. I myself, I would leave anyplace I felt threatened and move to a place I feel safe. Our safety is our own responsibility not anyone else's. Being aware of your surrounding is probably the single most important thing you can do to make yourself safe.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:53 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
Bear spray, 6in hunting knife, 12ga short tactical, and a Rottweiler here. Never had a single problem.
Man, I would be afraid to knock on your door after dark, I could see it now, blinded, cutup,shot full of holes and hunk's of meat missing.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:43 AM   #100

We mainly camp in Forest Service 'grounds, where on the entry roads there are signs that there might be illegal immigrants and smugglers in the area. We currently have a PUP, so although the door locks, it can be opened by loosening the velcro. We have never had any strangers approach. The only problem we ever had was a rabid bat (out in the daytime!) trying to get in our windows, which were a) screened and b) zipped up anyway. On the other hand, I would not camp near a prison!
Jim-n-Ash is offline   Reply With Quote