Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2020, 02:03 PM   #1

Question How to prevent ants, mice and squirrel etc. entering the RV?

We have seen sugar ants inside the trailer on the kitchen counter. I used sugar and borax mix. Placed it in a shallow lid under the kitchen cabinet. This seem to solve this issue.
I wonder if anyone has recommendations how to prevent mice, squirrel and other critters coming under the RV during storage and also at the RV Park sites.
Please share your experiences and recommendations.
Thank you
Vpsnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 02:23 PM   #2
Site Team

For ants, we use a mix of 2 cups white vinegar, 2 cups water, 3 tbsp dish liquid, and 3 tbsp salt in a spray bottle. It stops them dead in their tracks and is safe to spray anywhere. It leaves a little residue on the surface that seems to keep them at bay for a while after application.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 02:56 PM   #3

Never had much of an insect problem but have done some stuff to keep bigger critters out. The best thing to do is scour every compartment, underneath and inside your RV for any type of access hole and seal them up. I have had our Seneca 2.5 years and I still come across holes here and there as I do mods on it. When we are hooked up I have made some seals for the sewer hose, water hose and power cord that I 3D printed and they are 2 pieces with magnets that snap around them and then press tight into the outlets.
Attached Thumbnails
i-v3xZBqb-X2.jpg   i-9Wvngtx-X2.jpg   i-bJTrLbs-X3.jpg   i-DH8ZQTC-X2.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 08:24 PM   #4

Thank you for your suggestions. Will try the spray. 1 or 2 oz orange oil in water will repel or kill the ants outside. Good counter cleaner also and smells godd.

I heard that having some lights under the RV may repel nocturnal critters. Anyone experimented with this?!
Old 12-10-2020, 08:01 AM   #5

You can't stop ants, they can come in window cracks, vents, etc. Baits will keep them down and clean will help prevent them.
Mice, on the other hand, can be stopped. Crawling under with stainless or copper scrubbers and caulk or foam will stop them. When you are done on the bottom go into every cabinet, closet, bath, etc. and block where all the pipes and wires come into the inside and use more metal and foam to block them if they find an entrance you missed.

Last, on mice, I deploy T shaped mouse bait stations that reduce the mouse populations around the parking area and prevent critters other than mice from getting the bait. Just in case I drop a few mouse sticky traps on the floor.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 03:50 PM   #6

We put down Bounce sheets every fall inside the camper. Never had a mouse inside when we open it up in the spring.
indyguy1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 04:36 PM   #7

We live in an area with pack rats, mice, and a host of other rodents. Many of us in the area with TTs that are not stored in buildings use LED rope lights and Rid-A-Rat strobe lights. We use 120 volt LED rope lights placed on the ground under the TTs and 12 volt LED strobe lights connected to the truck battery under the hood to attempt to control rodents. Our truck and Suv are parked in a "car barn" without doors. Rope lights are under the 2 vehicles and a plug-in 120 volt timer with a dawn to dusk timer settings controls the lights. Also, the barn has overhead light fixtures controlled by a 120 volt hard wired timer with an adjustable timer wheel. Takes a little more money on the electric bill, but cuts way down on wiring and vehicle repair.
ranchosinvacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 04:49 PM   #8

Thank you for these wonderful tips. Will install these at the RV site.
If we store it at a storage lot where there is no electric supply, is there any solar light option available to place under/around the TT to scare away critters? Any specific color light needed or regular white light LED OK? Thank you.
Old 12-10-2020, 05:57 PM   #9

I have had very little critter issues. I do not know if it is because I sealed up the TT so well or if I am lucky.

First thing I did when I brought it home was to crawl under the TT, and seal up every single penetration that I could. If the hole was big, I inserted a piece of Scotch Brite Scouring pads, then caulked the hole shut. Then I went inside, located every hole I could find, and did the same. Double check everywhere, I found a few more holes while doing something else. Some holes you just cannot plug like the slide mechanism.

I have a connected power cord that I have to pull through a small access door. I took another copper Scotch Brite pad, cut a slit in it, a little over half way through. When my cord is deployed, I wrap this pad around the cord, behind the door. I have found many dead bugs in the copper pad.

Only other bugs I get is mosquitos. We have never had a mouse or squirrel problem.

I do put out a few stick traps every fall when the tt goes into deep hibernation. Never catch anything other than my fingers.

Best solution, is prevention. Try to get them before they get in.

Good Luck

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 01:21 PM   #10

One Bite you will never have a mouse or rat problem

https://www.amazon.com/Just-One-Bite...ag=googhydr-20
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
critter damage prevention