Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-26-2021, 12:08 PM   #1

Installation of a shunt-based battery monitor

I purchased a Renogy 500A battery monitor to install in our 2020 JayFeather 24RL. After looking at the installation instructions and several websites I understand that it has to be installed on the negative side directly inline to the battery prior to anything else being wired in. The most convenient place to install the shunt and monitor would be adjacent to the factory monitoring panel next to the template sticker for a solar controller/monitoring panel. Does anyone know if the negative wire for the 4 LED battery monitor is a direct line to the battery?

The easiest and most obvious thing would be to use the wiring schematic but Jayco won't release it until my warranty expires (I called).

Any thoughts or suggestions? (I did search the forum and didn't see anything relevant.) Thanks.
2020 JayFeather 24RL
2019 Toyota Tundra: ExtraCab, TRD, towing package
———————————————————————————-
CBR_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 12:56 PM   #2

Best place to install the shunt is directly on the negative side of the battery. That's where I installed my shunt. It was a pain to install the monitor wiring but it can be done.
Old 05-26-2021, 02:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
Best place to install the shunt is directly on the negative side of the battery. That's where I installed my shunt. It was a pain to install the monitor wiring but it can be done.
X2

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 12:45 PM   #4

Hi
I have the same floorplan, but 2017 23rlsw. I'm getting ready to add solar with monitor. Just wondered if you have solar and how you installed your panels and ran wiring.
Thanks
York
York is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 01:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by York View Post
Hi
I have the same floorplan, but 2017 23rlsw. I'm getting ready to add solar with monitor. Just wondered if you have solar and how you installed your panels and ran wiring.
Thanks
York
I have attached a picture of my roof with the original 2 panels installed. I routed the cables down the fridge vent, punched a hole through there into the cavity below, and then punched a hole to the underside of the rig.

I then routed the cables, enclosed in spiral wrap, to the other side of the rig and up into the cabinet right next to the battery. I have a second battery in that cabinet. That is where I installed the solar controller. Easy hook up to my second battery which has cables leading to the battery compartment next door.

My controller is bluetooth so I can monitor from my phone which is great since these cabinets are below my slide-out which makes cabinet access a bit inconvenient.
Attached Thumbnails
Roof View.jpg  

Jim

Old 06-10-2021, 06:43 AM   #6

Thanks Jim! I'm looking to route the wires the same way. I like the way you put your panels in the center so you can walk your roof easier. What kind of batteries do you have? I'm looking to buy a Renogy 12v AGM 100ah. I'm reluctant to spend the money of lithium, plus I think I would hv to chg my convertor going with lithium.
York
York is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 02:21 PM   #7

I have 2 Costco 12 volt deep cycle batteries. They work OK but I am sure there are better ones available.

Jim

Old 02-12-2024, 12:54 AM   #8

Have same year and model as you York. Curious if you did in fact add solar? I know really nothing about doing this and trying to gather info. Any pics of install showing location of the various devices and components greatly appreciated.
TIA
Grumpa is offline   Reply With Quote