Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-11-2016, 06:53 AM   #1

Inverter to run tv

We own a 2016 jay flight . We primarily do dry camping with limited times to run our generators. What's the best inverter set up to use for this, we only need to run tv . do we need to do anything special besides plug the inverter into the 12v outlet near tv? Thanks
britkaymat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:12 AM   #2

You might be able to get away with using the oem 12volt outlet but only for a small inverter. The way I did what you are wanting to do "the right way" was to install a 600W psw inverter in the storage compartment up front near the battery bank and then running a heavy gauge extension cord along the frame rail and then up into the cabinet near the entertainment center in my White hawk. I plug a small power strip into the end of the extension cord and then plug in the dish receiver and tv.

It is important to keep the 12v run from the battery to the inverter as short as possible to prevent voltage drop. Mine is less than 5 feet. Forget what gauge cable I used, but it was stout on the 12v leg. I bought a 100' heavy guage extension cord for the 110 leg and cut it to the nessitary length to reach the entertainment center. I bought one that had end plugs that light up when they are plugged in and kept the female so it reminded me when the inverter was powered on. The left over length of the original extension became a 60' HD extension when I need to run power to a picnic shelter or whatever in the campsite.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:07 AM   #3
Site Team

What size battery(s) do you have, Amp hour rating on battery?

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:21 AM   #4

I'd look into a 12v TV, that way you don't have the extra energy loss from the inverter. I've seen some on AMAZON for less than $100.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:00 PM   #5

a lot of tv's use a 12v power brick, I know the 24" insignia i picked up from bestbuy does
kiknads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiknads View Post
a lot of tv's use a 12v power brick, I know the 24" insignia i picked up from bestbuy does
Absolutely this- Many 22" and smaller ones are 12V already. I just installed a 22" with built in DVD player that runs on 12V and it runs fine off the battery. Installing a second house battery this weekend- figured it will fit, so why not? Seems a shame to get a generator to run a device that requires so little power. Even on bigger tv's, the AC is converted to DC internally.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:15 PM   #7

We just use a 650W inverter from a farm supply store that plugs into the 12v socket behind the TV. The fan makes noise, but it does what we want when we don't want to run the generator while boondocking without hook ups.
LabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:35 PM   #8

I purchased a small 175w GoPower modified sine wave that I plugged into the socket behind T.V. This unit has no fan so it's dead silent. Runs my T.V no problem and you don't get the hum through the speakers like you can from other small inverters. For under $30 I'm more than stoked.
Go Power! GP-175 175-Watt Modified Sine Wave Inverter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001539B7O..._p2zIxbFR6BC8G
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:07 AM   #9
Site Team

Screwby hit it right on the head... lowest possible wattage.. no fan (just check to see if it gets hot).

When shopping for a inverter for the TV, check the wattage on the back of the Tv (or look up on the internet) and use that as your guide for the size you need.

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
I purchased a small 175w GoPower modified sine wave that I plugged into the socket behind T.V. This unit has no fan so it's dead silent. Runs my T.V no problem and you don't get the hum through the speakers like you can from other small inverters. For under $30 I'm more than stoked.
Go Power! GP-175 175-Watt Modified Sine Wave Inverter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001539B7O..._p2zIxbFR6BC8G
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:31 AM   #10

GoPower makes a good inverter. If all you're wanting to do is run a TV, then a small inverter will work just fine.
justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:01 AM   #11

I did what BASSDOGS did and installed a 600W PSW POWER INVERTER near the battery bank and ran multihead extension cord to Home entertainment area... I ran a second extension cord with multihead outlets to a table in the bedroom area...

I have yet to run a full 600WATT load but its there if I need it. My load is around 200WATTS (16-18DC AMPs LOAD) for the things we want to run between 6PM to 10PM at night...

I started out with a 150WATT Power Inverter but right away you start wanting to add a few more other small items. Eventually ended up with the AIMS 600WATT PSW model from AMAZON a few years back...

This is just me but I would not hook any of my electronics or transformer/motor type appliances to MSW POWER INVERTER... This includes all of the 120VAC Cell Phone and LAPTOP chargers etc... Sometimes it works for folks as you read on here but it only takes one time it doesn't work and you have invented the BLUE SMOKE... It seems many of the electronic controllers are very prone to fail and an Electric Blanket controller will go up in blue smoke before you plug it in. It knows what will happen haha...

Just me...
Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:17 AM   #12

Totally agree with the bigger inverter so you have enough for bigger appliances. I have an 800w soon to be upgraded to 1500w inverter that lives under the sleeping area close to the batteries. The sole purpose of the small inverter is just for the T.V. and an Amazon Fire Stick. Since there was a super convenient 12v plug-in right behind the entertainment center there for it, I used it.
Running a huge inverter for tiny draws uses too many precious amps for boondocking/dry camping. Sunlight for my solar system is no guarentee and wasted watts could ruin a trip if something goes sideways. Like Mustang said, run the smallest inverter you can for what your supplying power to.
My 2cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
I did what BASSDOGS did and installed a 600W PSW POWER INVERTER near the battery bank and ran multihead extension cord to Home entertainment area... I ran a second extension cord with multihead outlets to a table in the bedroom area...

I have yet to run a full 600WATT load but its there if I need it. My load is around 200WATTS (16-18DC AMPs LOAD) for the things we want to run between 6PM to 10PM at night...

I started out with a 150WATT Power Inverter but right away you start wanting to add a few more other small items. Eventually ended up with the AIMS 600WATT PSW model from AMAZON a few years back...

This is just me but I would not hook any of my electronics or transformer/motor type appliances to MSW POWER INVERTER... This includes all of the 120VAC Cell Phone and LAPTOP chargers etc... Sometimes it works for folks as you read on here but it only takes one time it doesn't work and you have invented the BLUE SMOKE... It seems many of the electronic controllers are very prone to fail and an Electric Blanket controller will go up in blue smoke before you plug it in. It knows what will happen haha...

Just me...
Roy Ken
Old 07-16-2016, 07:45 AM   #13

You may be able to plug a 650 watt inverter into the 12v outlet in your RV, but you will not be able to pull more than 150 watts or so because of the limited capacity of the outlet.

2nd the technology of inverters is way down the road at this point and there is a reason that msw inverters are so cheap. Get a psw inverter and protect the investment you have in electronics, computers, etc. I have a couple small msw cheapos that I sometimes use to run a small air compressor to blow up an air mattress or the like, but would never use one to power up a tv or other related electronics.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:12 AM   #14

Yeah that plug behind the T.V. will in no way handle anything much more than the 175w I plugged in. I tried a 600w for giggles and it blew the fuse in the T.T. as soon as I turned it on like I knew it would.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
You may be able to plug a 650 watt inverter into the 12v outlet in your RV, but you will not be able to pull more than 150 watts or so because of the limited capacity of the outlet.

2nd the technology of inverters is way down the road at this point and there is a reason that msw inverters are so cheap. Get a psw inverter and protect the investment you have in electronics, computers, etc. I have a couple small msw cheapos that I sometimes use to run a small air compressor to blow up an air mattress or the like, but would never use one to power up a tv or other related electronics.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:30 AM   #15

SCREWBY - Keep in mind the quality build for the very smallest POWER INVERTERs on the market may not be the greatest in the world...

Being a ham radio guy the RFI NOISE generated by the cheaper POWER INVERTERs was really really bad for my Ham Radio HF operations. Could not get away from it around my POPUP trailer using the cheap 150WATT POWER Inverter unit...

I still have RFI NOISE being generated by my 600W PSW Power Inverter unit but it is not too bad and I am able to live with it. Being FRAME GROUNDed near my Battery bank switches was a good move on my part I guess... I only have it now in the 7Mhz bands in small grouped bands where before it was everywhere haha... This is a loud band of BRRRR noise being generated...

I was not happy at all with my cheap auto parts store POWER INVERTER and it is stowed away in its original box around here somewhere haha... Thought I might find an emergency need for it somewhere down the road...

This is the extension cord I use on the back side of a table near the Home entertainment area and bedside table... This is always ON whether I am at Shoe Power sites or running off my batteries. Being PSW anyone can plug into it without fear of damaging anything...

Its all about what YOU want to have anyway - just passing on my thoughts...

Roy Ken

2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
Old 07-17-2016, 07:00 AM   #16

First thing to do is look at the power cord for your TV.. does it have a little black box in it? if so GOOD.. now read what is on that box... my 42" Phillips says 120 V a/c to 12 VDC. which means I can just plug it right into the 12 volt system of my RV after making an adapter cord to the TV power in.. to make the adapter use a VOM to figure out the polarity of the plug cut the plug half way between the power puck and tv ( at this point I would use a flat 2 pin connector so I could always return it to use with the power puck) and wire in a "cig plug" to the other end plug in and watch tv.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:36 PM   #17

Screwby's inverter solution

Screwby. You stated that you just plugged the Go Power! GP-175 175-Watt Modified Sine Wave unit into the 'socket' behind your TV. I took at a look at the unit in the link your provided (below). I assume by 'socket' you mean 'outlet'? How did you plug this unit into the outlet when it has a cigerrate input on it? Is there another piece that needs to be purchased?

Thanks for the tip!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001539B7O..._p2zIxbFR6BC8G
Wrolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:16 AM   #18
Site Team

[QUOTE=Wrolly;495045]Screwby. You stated that you just plugged the Go Power! GP-175 175-Watt Modified Sine Wave unit into the 'socket' behind your TV. I took at a look at the unit in the link your provided (below). I assume by 'socket' you mean 'outlet'? How did you plug this unit into the outlet when it has a cigerrate input on it? Is there another piece that needs to be purchased?

Thanks for the tip!

Per the picture on the link it comes with a cig lighter plug.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001539B7O..._p2zIxbFR6BC8G
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:15 AM   #19

I went for a small wattage Inverter at first and after a short time i kept wanting to add more and more of the small wattage items... My 75WATT Inverter was much too small to handle anythig extra... I eventually insrtalled a 600WATT PSW AIMS ower Inverter coming directly off my battery and ran its two 120VAC ports using multi-head drop cords with one going to the home entertainment area and the toher one going back to the bed we sleep in area. Cords are out of sight running along the walls or inside the cabinets...

I leave the 600WATT unit on all the the time and the multi-tap cords have ON-OFF switches on them...

We normally use ours between 6PM and 11PM when camping off-grid like we do alot of and it works out great for us... I am using around 300WATTs of small items running off the 600WATT Inverter.

Being PSW i never have to worry about what gets plugged in... Got mine from AMAZON several years back for $159...

This is what I do at any rate haha...

The RFI signals coming from the Power Inverter gives me a few headaches by putting strange signals on my Ham Radio setup especially in the 7MHZ bands but all is liveable...

Roy Ken

Old 03-02-2017, 08:33 AM   #20

Norty & Roy

Norty...yes, I see the cig adapter on the inverter, but based on Screwby's post he plugged the inverter into the outlet by his TV inside the RV. There is no cig adapter input in an RV by the TV. Just wondering how he accomplished this.

Roy, your solution may be the only way to accomplish this, unless Scewby has a solution to use the cig adapter with an outlet.

Thanks
Wrolly is offline   Reply With Quote