Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-20-2016, 10:56 PM   #1

Jay Flght 29rks

Ready to order a new 29rks. Any do's, dont's, tips, tricks, etc? Thanks in advance.
CUthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:47 AM   #2

Not real familiar with that specific model, but the tv is overpriced. You can buy a better one for cheaper at BB.

The bumper mount grill is pricey. Some like it, some don't. If your in the "Famous" Flint, I have a bumper mount grill I will sell for cheaper than the factory option.

I would suggest the factory option rear cargo hitch if available for that model. We carry 4 bikes without any issues so far. You could carry a small generator as well. It's rated for 300lbs if I remember right.

Get a good wdh with integrated sway control!!! The Reese Dual Cam, Reese SC, or the Equal-I-Zer 4 way system are all very good for the price. If you choose the Dual Cam, make sure the dealer knows not to set it up right.

Verify you have enough truck before ordering/buying!!!! Last thing you want to find out is you are over the trucks payload or rear axle rating. What tv (tow vehicle) do you have? There is a yellow sticker in the drivers door jamb stating "All occupants and cargo not to exceed XXXXlbs". What is this amount? This amount as stated, includes all passengers, cargo (coolers, bikes, firewood,etc), any accessories added (truck topper/ tonneau cover, step bars, etc), the wdh, AND the tt tw (travel trailer tongue weight).

What are the listed weights of the trailer? The "brochure" dry tw (tongue/ hitch weight) does. It include the propane tanks or a battery weight on the tongue. For 2-30lb tanks and a battery that adds ~160lbs before even loading the trailer with anything else for a trip.

Compare the total family weight, anticipated tv cargo weight, the wdh, and see what is left for the tt tw. You generally need 12-15% of the loaded trailer weight for tw for a safe, stable tow. It seems most add close to 1000lbs to the trailer, some more, some less.

Good luck!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:48 AM   #3

I got that model 8 months ago and really like it, I got the 2nd ac in the bedroom and it is nice to have but here in Georgia with all these above 90 days have not needed it. Also I have the power stabelizers but not impressed would rather have the manual ones.
Camper651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:10 AM   #4

Good point on the power stabilizers! I have only ever had the manual, but some say the power ones don't seem as stable as the manual ones.

Nothing a cheap cordless drill/driver doesn't fix!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:36 AM   #5

My folks just bought a used 2015 RKS late June this year and love it! For the two of them its great. I went with my mom to pick it up and I will say the fold out couch is not very comfortable to sleep on. I would also recommend the ELITE package and maybe the thermal package. The extra water was real nice for them on our big trip with them. They were able to shower and do normal daily activities and never once had to run to refill the tank, unlike me and my sister and brother in law. Im not sure if the thermal package makes it quieter (just a suspicion) but the first night with the camper on the way home from purchasing it, we stayed in it and had a real heavy storm come through and it was hardly noticeable. It was VERY quiet inside. The selling dealer told my folks that the power stab jacks are not as nice as one might think. He said he had sold a few units with them and the client came back and had crank downs installed after the fact because they didn't like them. IF you do want them, he said its not an add on option after the fact, so get it up front or not at all.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:43 PM   #6

We took delivery of our "2017" 29RKS about a month ago. We ordered it with every option except - free standing table and chairs (because we wanted the under seat storage and extra bed) and patio door. We have been totally satisfied with our new trailer and have had ZERO issues. We tow with a Toyota Tundra and Equilizer WD hitch (we have a semi permanent campsite lease so we will only tow about 6-8 times a year) We might consider more truck if we towed more frequently and long distances. We have had a number of RV's over the past 30 years and this trailer is the culmination of every "wish I could have this or that" conversation that we've had over the years. We especially enjoy the left side picture window!! Good luck.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:53 PM   #7

We purchased our new 29RKS last summer and absolutely love it! We have had a few minor little issues, but nothing major (most of it, I just fixed myself). This trailer does have a heavy tongue weight so I would recommend an upgraded WDH. I went with the Husky Centerline and am very happy with it. Ours has the Elite package, so the extra water when dry camping is great. It also came with the fiberglass siding, which we like. The counter space and storage in the kitchen is more than we have ever had in a trailer. Overall, we are very happy with our purchase and have had it out quite a bit this summer.
2004 Jayco Jay Flight 24FB (Sold)
1984 Jayco J-Series 1008 (Sold)

Darin is offline   Reply With Quote