Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-28-2018, 06:58 AM   #1

Jay Flight tires

Hi folks, brand new owners here looking for advice. Our 2018 34RSBS is parked on a pad on our daughter's property here in north Florida. We don't plan on taking it anywhere for at least one year. What is recommended for preserving the tires? Jack it up? Just cover the tires? What are the best practices for us who are staying put for a while. Thanks in advance. I've learned so much already on this forum!
Jimsjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:19 AM   #2

Here is a link to Goodyear which has recommendations on protecting RV tires during storage.

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-storage.aspx
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:59 AM   #3

For sure want to air them up to max pressure, and keep direct sunlight of them. Most trailers can't handle being lifted by the frame anywhere else, so there's not many options for taking weight off the tires.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:17 AM   #4

Quite a few "experts" say trailer tires should be replaced every 3 years no matter how good they look. If that's true, I'm not sure it's worthwhile to do anything special.
NH_camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_camper View Post
Quite a few "experts" say trailer tires should be replaced every 3 years no matter how good they look. If that's true, I'm not sure it's worthwhile to do anything special.
4 years generally yea... it is only $400 bucks.. cheap insurance.. for $100/year...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Here is a link to Goodyear which has recommendations on protecting RV tires during storage.

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-storage.aspx
Good info here! Thanks!
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyDad View Post
For sure want to air them up to max pressure, and keep direct sunlight of them. Most trailers can't handle being lifted by the frame anywhere else, so there's not many options for taking weight off the tires.
For sure, especially covering the tires.

You can't go wrong with this stuff. The best for protecting rubber, etc. Fairly expensive but I've been using it for 15 years on my RV tires.

Won't dry out the rubber in your tires like Armorall and those types of treatments.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/303-...RoC6QUQAvD_BwE
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_camper View Post
I think a quality trailer tire, properly maintained by proper pressure, covering when not in use, will last longer that what the experts say.

I've had class A RV's before, and have got 6-8 years out of the Michelin's on them.

Different horse I agree. I'm planning on replacing my 2 year old Ranier's on my TT this spring.

We're going on a 2 month, 8000 mile trip soon and I just don't trust them for being trouble free. They have close to 10,000 miles on them and look good but just don't want to take the chance with issues on the road. Don't have much faith in the China made tires.

Replacing them with the Goodyear Endurance 205/75-14.Made in the USA. Moving up to a load range D from the stock C, not for increasing the cargo capacity, just piece of mind.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
For sure, especially covering the tires.

Can somebody educate me on why we worry so much about covering RV tires but we drive for years and years on car tires and never talk about covering them at all?
Equal i zer 10k w/sway control
Wife, Kid, Entlebucher
EV4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV4D View Post
Can somebody educate me on why we worry so much about covering RV tires but we drive for years and years on car tires and never talk about covering them at all?
2 different horse I believe.

My understanding is that the more the tires get exercised(moving on the road) the oils & the way the makeup of tire composition is, the tire won't dry out as quickly.

RV tires tend to have less miles on them and not as frequent of use, may sit idle in 1 spot when not used, and hopefully not flat spot.

I have always used 303 Aerospace protectant on my RV tires and covered them.

Has it helped, I think so but I have no way of comparing because I have never neglected taking tire maintenance seriously.

I'm not a expert on what should be done, but I don't neglect maintaining any thing I own.

I don't want a blowout going down the road on my TT. Whatever it take to increase my margin of safety I'll take the time and effort to do it.

JMO.