Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-18-2021, 11:46 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefsemperfi View Post
I'm a 16 year professional HVAC/R mechanic. Freezing coils are:

1. Low refrigerant charge (leak) about 65% of the time.
2. Low air flow about 33% of the time
3. Restrictions in flow of refrigerant about 1.5% of the time.
4. Weak compressor about 0.5% of the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I would reach out to Dometic directly. I understand your frustration and perhaps Jayco and other manufacturers could do a better job of facilitating warranty repair on appliances / accessories but bottom line is this is a Dometic failure.
I sent Dometic a e-mail today, thanks guys
firemanst13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 12:08 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefsemperfi View Post
I'm a 16 year professional HVAC/R mechanic. Freezing coils are:

1. Low refrigerant charge (leak) about 65% of the time.
2. Low air flow about 33% of the time
3. Restrictions in flow of refrigerant about 1.5% of the time.
4. Weak compressor about 0.5% of the time.
One item you didn't mention, and I am not sure how common they are for residential and other A/C's, many RV A/C's (in particular Dometic for sure) have a Freeze sensor on the evaporator coil, these sensors are known to fall out of place (however FiremanST13 has checked that it is in place), and they also can go bad or be defective. Fairly common item and Amazon sells them. While there are certainly other causes for the A/C to freeze up, it would seem that a failed freeze control sensor would be a likely possible cause as well, in particular for a dometic RV A/C as it is supposed to detect a freezing evap coil and shut off the compressor until the temperature comes back up above freezing.

In fact, FiremanST13, you may want to follow the wires from the freeze sensor and make sure it is actually plugged in. This doesn't tell you much but may help. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/80...1.html?page=11 ~CA
Old 04-18-2021, 12:26 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
One item you didn't mention, and I am not sure how common they are for residential and other A/C's, many RV A/C's (in particular Dometic for sure) have a Freeze sensor on the evaporator coil, these sensors are known to fall out of place (however FiremanST13 has checked that it is in place), and they also can go bad or be defective. Fairly common item and Amazon sells them. While there are certainly other causes for the A/C to freeze up, it would seem that a failed freeze control sensor would be a likely possible cause as well, in particular for a dometic RV A/C as it is supposed to detect a freezing evap coil and shut off the compressor until the temperature comes back up above freezing.

In fact, FiremanST13, you may want to follow the wires from the freeze sensor and make sure it is actually plugged in. This doesn't tell you much but may help. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/80...1.html?page=11 ~CA
I did check it, even took it out and read it with a Ohms meter, seemed fine, replugged it in and stuck it back in the same place, about 3/4 of the way to the top
Old 04-18-2021, 12:34 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanst13 View Post
I did check it, even took it out and read it with a Ohms meter, seemed fine, replugged it in and stuck it back in the same place, about 3/4 of the way to the top
As mentioned earlier, I am not sure how much I would do with it under warranty, however it sounds as you are familiar with the sensor now and you have an Ohm meter. I would consider checking the ohms while the coil is frozen vs not. I suspect that you should read 0 ohms when the sensor for the evap coil is above freezing and infinite ohms when the coil is below freezing, perhaps a few degrees below freezing. If the ohm's stay at 0 when the coil is frozen over and well below 32f then that would indicate that the sensor is faulty. (If it isn't too hard to take it out, you could do the same test by placing it in your freezer and verifying that the sensor opens the circuit (infinite ohms) at ~30f give or take a degree or two)

As a thought, I am not sure though if the ohm readings would be as I mentioned (0 ohms vs infinite ohms), but for sure the ohms should be different when below freezing vs above, if the ohm's don't change then that would be an indicator for sure. ~CA
Old 04-18-2021, 12:38 PM   #65

To be honest, I didn't read every post in this thread. Saying that, is it possible one of your air ducts is pointed at the thermostat? As soon as the thermostat decides, "hey, it's cold! Time to shutoff!"

This stupid man had this happen and it was SWMBO* that pointed it out to me!

Murff

*She Who Must Be Obeyed

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 08:13 AM   #66

OK, I said I would let everyone here know what Camping World did about my A/C, I took it back up there and it or they said it took Dometic a week to get back with them to OK replacing the A/C with a new one. My advisor had told me they wouldn't have it but 2 to 3 weeks to replace it. Ok after 2 and a half weeks I got back in touch with them and he said I was looking at 3 to 4 weeks from that day. So this did not make me happy at all due to me wanting to use my Camper in June. So I got in touch with Camping World Head Quarters and gave them 3 options, either take a new A/C unit off a brand new Camper and put it on mine, give me a camper as close to mine that I could use until mine was fixed, or just give me all my money back and I would buy a different camper. The very next day my advisor messaged me and stated a brand new A/C had came in that morning and they already had it installed and I could come pick it up at anytime. I have not needed it yet so they still have it with free lockable storage and will go pick it up when I need it. So it turned out pretty good. Thank you to everyone that helped me out.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:19 AM   #67

Wow, did u get lucky.
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 08:33 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Wow, did u get lucky.
if you looked on there web site they had my A/C in stock so why they said it was going to be 4 weeks I have no idea
Old 05-17-2021, 08:50 AM   #69

They normally do not take one off the shelf unless u pay for it. They wait for manufacturers to send replacement and than schedule the repair.
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:03 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
They normally do not take one off the shelf unless u pay for it. They wait for manufacturers to send replacement and than schedule the repair.
well they did this time