Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2020, 03:49 PM   #21

1st year wonderful this year with COVID still waiting for warranty work that we are now thinking is electrical. Have contacted Jayco who used to get right on it, but... Dealer still refusing to do work so we wait and work around issues as I’m not letting it sit in the driveway Every time we take it out it’s something new and we just laugh. If my car was like this it would have been fixed or replaced !!!
Happy newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:54 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
My first Jayco several years ago was a really nice unit with no problems and nice woodwork. This 2017.... not so much. Parts took a long time. Lots of fake wood that moisture doesn't do well with. I don't think I'll look at another one next time.
As I've posted before, I had no issues with our 2015 except the air conditioner/heat pump (COLEMAN) not JAYCO. We had no fit & finish issues and I put over 20,000 miles on it in 2 years. I did experience the slide crack, but that was fixed immediately and done very well.

People seem to forget that JAYCO averages 40,000 rigs a year or 150 a day out the door and everybody wants their's delivered yesterday. With that number, the problems are really few and far between as you only hear from those who are unhappy.
Old 07-15-2020, 04:06 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
As I've posted before, I had no issues with our 2015 except the air conditioner/heat pump (COLEMAN) not JAYCO. We had no fit & finish issues and I put over 20,000 miles on it in 2 years. I did experience the slide crack, but that was fixed immediately and done very well.

People seem to forget that JAYCO averages 40,000 rigs a year or 150 a day out the door and everybody wants their's delivered yesterday. With that number, the problems are really few and far between as you only hear from those who are unhappy.
The main issue I have is just the quality of materials. It has nothing to do with the volume they are trying to produce. Building cabinets for use in the kitchen and bath out of "wood" that melts at the sight of any water is not quality. It is inevitable that there will be leaks and even if they are repaired quickly the signs are obvious and unrepairable.

The few other issues I had were not Jayco's fault but getting the parts for repair took far too long and required multiple calls to Jayco.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 04:19 PM   #24

Quote:

The few other issues I had were not Jayco's fault but getting the parts for repair took far too long and required multiple calls to Jayco.
That again is due to the volume as they do not normally stock parts and they can't pull them from production. JAYCO as well as many other manufacturers have parts arrive a day or two before a run starts and then only enough for that run. It's been that way for many years. In 08 I did some cabinet upgrades in our SENECA and had to wait for their cabinet supplier to provide the matching doors, took about a month.

This is not to make excuses for JAYCO, it's just the nature of the industry today.
Old 07-15-2020, 04:26 PM   #25

Gee, I just came out of a 2009 that was pretty solid. Spent two seasons in it and was virtually flawless. Literally 4 days ago I set a 2016 on my seasonal site. We certainly are impressed with the more "modern" feel. Let's hope the quality is there. Time obviously will tell but I'm pretty convinced that Jayco's still doin' okay. As far as poor Gaardelli here.... Sometimes, ya get one that just ain't right....
Froggyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 04:28 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
That again is due to the volume as they do not normally stock parts and they can't pull them from production. JAYCO as well as many other manufacturers have parts arrive a day or two before a run starts and then only enough for that run. It's been that way for many years. In 08 I did some cabinet upgrades in our SENECA and had to wait for their cabinet supplier to provide the matching doors, took about a month.

This is not to make excuses for JAYCO, it's just the nature of the industry today.
That may be the nature of the industry but it's not good customer service. There is no excuse not to stock parts like windows and lights for a current model unit. Woodwork and such is a different thing. Those are not commonly replaced. In most parts of the country RVs are a seasonal use item. To expect a customer to be without their unit for all or most of the season is not acceptable. I worked in the marine industry for over 40 years and we never made a customer be without his unit for more than a week or two at most. In the rare occasion a part was not available we at least tried to do something so they could use their boat.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 07-15-2020, 04:34 PM   #27

We are still enjoying our 2020 Redhawk, but this will be my last Jayco. I cannot even get Jayco to respond to me regarding my twisted and kinked propane lines. I’ve called twice and emailed 3 times. Brand new motorhome and it has so many issues. $80k doesn’t get you what it once did.
J05H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:56 PM   #28

Yeah. I’ve got to chime on this one. We have a 2018 29.5 bdhs. We love our new trailer but have had several issues as well. I’ve fixed several on my own to avoid the dealers. But the majors like our on demand water heater stopped in the dead of winter, roof leaks, failed to install leds in our awning, frameless window “spontaneously shattered” gel coat issues and a whole host of other issues. I’ll stick it out as I understand that new coaches might have issues but I’ve owned several Rv’s. My next one will not be a Jayco.
Jljohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:15 PM   #29

Hi Disney Lovers, I was a Disneyland Cast Member for ten years (real Disneyland, not that faux one in Florida, wink, wink). But to the subject at hand. Yes Jayco is a subsidiary of Thor, but as a subsidiary, Thor determines the overall budget and dictates that all subsidiaries follow corporate policies and procedures. Thor does not have the reputation for quality that Jayco had. It is inevitable that Jayco make concessions to corporate headquarters. So unfortunately, Jayco simply does not have the ability to conducts its affairs as it did when it was Independant. It’s a bit like the huge monolith that is the Disney organization. Every subsidiary, division, or entity must follow Disney corporate guidelines and policies. Fortunately, Disney has some of the highest standards in the world.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:28 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forelyndogs View Post
Thor does not have the reputation for quality that Jayco had.
Tell that to AIRSTREAM owners since that is where THOR started,

Thor Industries was founded in 1980 by Wade Thompson and Peter Orthwein with the purchase of Airstream.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:57 PM   #31

Thor did not create Airstream they bought it because Airstream struggled somewhat after Wally Byam passed. Airstream Was and still Is a very very high quality and equally expensive RV. I would be proud to own one. Unfortunately, not all Thor products are Airstreams. I made the observation about Thor quality based upon comments from a number of friends and acquaintances who have purchased and been very disappointed in the quality of their Thor named RV’s. In truth many of the problems buyers encounter with their RV’s are not necessarily the manufacturers issue but one of dealers who do not seem to have the same standards of service and responsibility expected of the manufacturers or by customers. Of course, not all fall into that category, but a disturbing number do.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:11 PM   #32

Quote:
Thor did not create Airstream they bought it because Airstream struggled somewhat after Wally Byam passed. Airstream Was and still Is a very very high quality and equally expensive RV. I would be proud to own one. Unfortunately, not all Thor products are Airstreams. I made the observation about Thor quality based upon comments from a number of friends and acquaintances who have purchased and been very disappointed in the quality of their Thor named RV’s. In truth many of the problems buyers encounter with their RV’s are not necessarily the manufacturers issue but one of dealers who do not seem to have the same standards of service and responsibility expected of the manufacturers or by customers. Of course, not all fall into that category, but a disturbing number do.
A lot of company's standards suffered when the economy tanked in 2008. At the same time a lot of dealers went out of business. Unfortunately, it seems most of the ones left were corporate owned with the only priority being making a profit. The easiest way to do that is cut out customer service. We saw the same issue in the boating industry. Now seeing a customer losing the use of their unit for their entire season has somehow become "acceptable". In most cases they have no choice so they let it go. Until customers demand better service and refuse to do business with those that don't provide it this will never change.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 07-15-2020, 07:20 PM   #33

Quote:
Thor did not create Airstream they bought it because Airstream struggled somewhat after Wally Byam passed.
I didn't say they created AIRSTREAM I said THOR was created when they bought AIRSTREAM.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:30 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco6048 View Post
I bought my first Jayco HT 5th wheel in 2012. Great unit. Used it 6 years without one problem, great quality. Upgraded to a 2018 HT 5th wheel and have had countless problems from day one. Learned after the fact that Thor, who bought Jayco, reduced their overhead by downsizing quality control which in turn has resulted very poor quality and workmanship. I will NOT purchase another Jayco(Thor) RV again.
We had a FR Wildcat Maxx before this one, and quality was only slightly better.......maybe. But check out other brands forums, they all have threads like this and are all built like crap. Hate to say it, but it's the truth.
Andersen Ultimate w/Andersen Bed Shaft
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:33 PM   #35

Quote:
Until customers demand better service and refuse to do business with those that don't provide it this will never change.

I don’t know if anybody else is having a hell of a time getting a response from Jayco, but if anyone is in the same boat as I am, we need to demand better service as well as better quality control from Jayco.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:36 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by J05H View Post
I don’t know if anybody else is having a hell of a time getting a response from Jayco, but if you are, we need to demand better service as well as better quality control.
If you read back through the threads most don't. Are you talking to or asking for MOTORIZED customer service? Did you use the CUSTOMER SERVICE contact page for your emails?
Old 07-16-2020, 05:46 AM   #37

Quote:
I don’t know if anybody else is having a hell of a time getting a response from Jayco, but if anyone is in the same boat as I am, we need to demand better service as well as better quality control from Jayco.
I've not had problems contacting Jayco by phone. Now getting them to speed up their assistance was another matter. They finally did but it still took more time than it should.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 07-16-2020, 05:47 AM   #38

Quote:
I have always been able to speak to someone by picking up the phone. I don't rely on emails with them.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 07-16-2020, 08:41 AM   #39

I’ve called them three times, waited as much as 30 minutes. I have left a callback number twice, never receiving a callback. I understand times are strange, but this is unacceptable in my opinion.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:56 AM   #40

Quote:
I’ve called them three times, waited as much as 30 minutes. I have left a callback number twice, never receiving a callback. I understand times are strange, but this is unacceptable in my opinion.
Absolutely in my book too. I've never left a message but I did have to wait for them to answer. Just put the phone on speaker and do something else while waiting.

Jayflight 34RSBS