Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-13-2022, 06:24 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub1187 View Post
in my opinion, very deceptive business practices with their advertising.

They should really advertise the warranty is only really usable at the purchasing dealer.
First, I am not defending this practice at all, but you are a little off the deep end with your comments. There is nothing deceptive about the warranty. Jayco, the manufacturer, offers the warranty. The privately owned dealerships usually perform that service.

Some dealerships refuse to honor warranties from trailers they didn't sell... that is the perogative of that privately owned dealer.

Most dealerships will prioritize trailers that they sold first, incentivizing people to buy local rather than save some cash by buying from a distant dealership. Not defending the practice persay, but I completely understand the logic.
Finally, Jayco will often authorize a private or mobile repair tech to fix most things. There is no need to go to a dealer to get things fixed.

Temper tantrums won't solve your issues. Dump the emotions and employ logic and fact. You do have a warranty, Jayco will honor it, but its possible that it won't happen on your exact timetable or at your preferred dealership.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 08:57 AM   #22

It seems like a lot of first time buyers assume the warranty works like other products they have bought and don't ask or check.
Old 05-13-2022, 09:14 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
First, I am not defending this practice at all, but you are a little off the deep end with your comments. There is nothing deceptive about the warranty. Jayco, the manufacturer, offers the warranty. The privately owned dealerships usually perform that service.

Some dealerships refuse to honor warranties from trailers they didn't sell... that is the perogative of that privately owned dealer.

Most dealerships will prioritize trailers that they sold first, incentivizing people to buy local rather than save some cash by buying from a distant dealership. Not defending the practice persay, but I completely understand the logic.
Finally, Jayco will often authorize a private or mobile repair tech to fix most things. There is no need to go to a dealer to get things fixed.

Temper tantrums won't solve your issues. Dump the emotions and employ logic and fact. You do have a warranty, Jayco will honor it, but its possible that it won't happen on your exact timetable or at your preferred dealership.
While the RV dealers are privately owned, I also suspect auto dealerships are privately owned as most dealerships around here start with a person's name like "Joe Blow Ford of Your City".

In any case, Jayco could easily require something similar to auto dealerships by requiring their authorized dealers something along the lines that to be an "authorized" Jayco dealership that you must honor and service all Jayco warranty work in the same order that is presented by the customers (first in first serviced) regardless of where the unit was purchased.

That would solve a lot of the frustrations that many new RV owners are experiencing. ~CA
Old 05-13-2022, 09:24 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub1187 View Post
It’s deceptive business practices for Jayco to advertise a warranty and have their authorized dealers delay or reject service because the unit was not purchased from them. I had a 2017 which was bought out of state but had no issues getting service except for the long wait for parts and appointments being weeks out. This 2022 unit should have been checked for leaks before leaving the factory and QC Jayco has is not good. So I have structural damage occurring because they failed to inspect the unit, the repair dealers are months out in my local area and customer service seems to be not existent. There is not one word in the warranty that states dealers may delay or deny warranty work if the rv was not purchased there. To assume that is the norm is giving each manufacturer a pass on their responsibility to the consumer and holding them accountable is something that needs to happen.
Jayco doesn't tell their dealers what to do. Thats why some will or won't service RV bought elsewhere. It's a dealer scare tactic thats all. Buying an RV is not for that faint of heart.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 09:39 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
It seems like a lot of first time buyers assume the warranty works like other products they have bought and don't ask or check.
You don't know what you don't know. For many first time buyers, asking about the warranty as it pertains to other Jayco dealers would be like looking at a shift knob in your car/truck and asking the service manager to verify 'P' is park and 'D' is drive.

Years ago the only reason I knew to call my local Jayco dealer to ask if he'd service a Greyhawk I purchased out of state was because this forum advised I do so. Had I not read about this, I would have been in the same boat.

And for the record my local dealer told me I'd be the lowest priority, on the back of the line, likely to get service in the winter.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 10:24 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
While the RV dealers are privately owned, I also suspect auto dealerships are privately owned as most dealerships around here start with a person's name like "Joe Blow Ford of Your City".
Auto dealers are franchised and with few exceptions sell one brand. I know a dealer who sold GMC trucks along with RV's and when they wanted to add BUICK they had to completely remodel the show room to satisfy BUICK.

There is a huge difference in the business models that are used.
Old 05-13-2022, 10:37 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Auto dealers are franchised and with few exceptions sell one brand. I know a dealer who sold GMC trucks along with RV's and when they wanted to add BUICK they had to completely remodel the show room to satisfy BUICK.

There is a huge difference in the business models that are used.
I agree that this is true, however that in of itself doesn't mean that Jayco (or any other RV mfg) cannot set certain rules and requirements on the RV dealers that sell their products in order to actually be an "authorized" retailer. Jayco only ships RVs from the factory to their "authorized" retailers as I understand and I could be wrong and perhaps they do ship new units to "unauthorized" retailers, however I doubt that is the case. ~CA
Old 05-13-2022, 12:04 PM   #28

Quote:
I agree that this is true, however that in of itself doesn't mean that Jayco (or any other RV mfg) cannot set certain rules and requirements on the RV dealers that sell their products in order to actually be an "authorized" retailer.
But then who sets the priorites for which "brand" gets service and which one doesn't? You bought a Forest River from dealer A who sells Forest River and Jayco and I bought a Jayco from dealer Z out of state. Who decides who get's service first at dealer A who made a profit from you? The dealer still decides.
Old 05-13-2022, 12:51 PM   #29

Quote:
But then who sets the priorites for which "brand" gets service and which one doesn't? You bought a Forest River from dealer A who sells Forest River and Jayco and I bought a Jayco from dealer Z out of state. Who decides who get's service first at dealer A who made a profit from you? The dealer still decides.
The dealer decides is the way it currently is today, however my point is that it doesn't have to be that way if the manufactures imposed such a requirement as I stated earlier.

For example, it would be easy enough to have an agreement in place with dealers that states in order to be an "authorized" dealer of our brand (doesn't matter which brand), that the service department has to accept all service requests in the order received and cannot prioritize any brand sold over another brand sold. If the dealer doesn't agree to the agreement then the dealer will not be an "authorized dealer". I suspect most people would support a clause in the "authorized dealer" agreement that service related to a serious safety issue takes priority over non-safety related issues regardless of the order received, or something similar along those lines.

Again, my suggestion is what could be done, certainly not what is being done.

~CA
Old 05-13-2022, 01:26 PM   #30

Quote:
Again, my suggestion is what could be done, certainly not what is being done.
Fully understand that. But again, I and 9 other people buy out of state and get in line before you, who bought from the dealer in question so you wait for 2 months. How happy are you going to be when he tells you, sorry they got here first and I have no choice, but to.put you last. Will you buy from him again?
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 01:55 PM   #31

Quote:
Fully understand that. But again, I and 9 other people buy out of state and get in line before you, who bought from the dealer in question so you wait for 2 months. How happy are you going to be when he tells you, sorry they got here first and I have no choice, but to.put you last. Will you buy from him again?
If all Jayco dealers had the same agreement in place, then servicing the RV wouldn't matter so much in regards to which dealer you purchased from as you could call around for service and see if any other dealers have an opening sooner. In other words, it would be the same for all purchasers.

I don't suggest that the entire agreement should be only a few sentences long, certainly there could be in the agreement that not only for safety issues, but issues related to a new RV that renders it unusable also take priority over other issues such as those cosmetic in nature. As long as the same agreement is in place with all dealers then I would be happy to buy from him again, assuming of course the price was similar to other dealer's prices.

In fact, a purchaser should ask (shouldn't have to ask) but should ask about the waiting list and ask what happens if my new RV breaks down while I am out of state. ~CA
Old 05-13-2022, 02:20 PM   #32

Quote:
If all Jayco dealers had the same agreement in place, then servicing the RV wouldn't matters.

<<snip>>

In fact, a purchaser should ask (shouldn't have to ask) but should ask about the waiting list and ask what happens if my new RV breaks down while I am out of state. ~CA
The problem is they have other brands that they also sell. When traveling most dealers will accomodate you or JAYCO will reimburse you for mobile service. Been there, done that.
Old 05-13-2022, 02:34 PM   #33

Quote:
In any case, Jayco could easily require something similar to auto dealerships by requiring their authorized dealers something along the lines that to be an "authorized" Jayco dealership that you must honor and service all Jayco warranty work in the same order that is presented by the customers (first in first serviced) regardless of where the unit was purchased.
Yup, but they don't. The OP whining that he has no warranty is pure hyperbole though.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 02:56 PM   #34

Quote:
The problem is they have other brands that they also sell. When traveling most dealers will accomodate you or JAYCO will reimburse you for mobile service. Been there, done that.

Of course the agreement I have in mind would be more than a few sentences as I mentioned earlier. For example, it would be easy enough for Jayco to clearly state in the "authorized dealer" agreement that if the "authorized" dealer prioritizes their service to other brand RVs, then they will no longer be an authorized dealer... simple enough.

You are discussing more about how most RV dealers do it now, which I agree that is how they do things now and from what I can tell, most people are not at all happy with how RV dealers are handling their service department and scheduling. I suspect we all agree that things need to change. ~CA
Old 05-13-2022, 03:05 PM   #35

Quote:
Of course the agreement I have in mind would be more than a few sentences as I mentioned earlier. For example, it would be easy enough for Jayco to clearly state in the "authorized dealer" agreement that if the "authorized" dealer prioritizes their service to other brand RVs, then they will no longer be an authorized dealer... simple enough.
But the other brands would then require the same thing.....So nobody would be an authorized dealer. Back to square 1.
Old 05-13-2022, 03:19 PM   #36

Quote:
I would. If that happens at my local car/truck dealership it is what it is. First come first served. I see no problem with that. I can’t count how many times I bought a vehicle from one dealer and serviced it for years at another.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 03:26 PM   #37

Quote:
But the other brands would then require the same thing.....So nobody would be an authorized dealer. Back to square 1.
LOL, no not back at square 1, if the other RV brands also required that in order to be an authorized dealer of their brand, that they (the authorized dealer) cannot "prioritize" their service to any other brand and still be an authorized dealer.

It wouldn't really matter though if other brands chose to do this or not as even if Jayco was the only brand that required this and assuming the dealers honored their legal agreements (that obviously don't exist now), then you could be assured that any authorized Jayco dealer you went to would not delay your service needs simply because you purchased brand x (Jayco) instead of brand A.

Certainly this is an industry wide problem, I suspect that in the end without some changes from the top (the manufactures) that new RV sales will drop and their profits will decline putting some of them out of business, not to mention that overall quality issues will grow more and more as we have seen more so over the past year or two. So many people here in the forums and elsewhere are complaining about poor quality and trying to get service is like getting teeth pulled. I have purchased ~8 new RVs in my life (prior to 2010) and they all had decent quality, not like fine furniture but also not like what I read here in the forums almost daily. Because of all the issues I read about, I continue to hang on to the one I own now, not that I couldn't afford to get a brand new one, and maybe I will one day (Super C) but because of the issues with initial quality, poor workmanship, problems with getting timely service, lack of parts, and on and on... I will continue to hold on to what I have now as I never had serious issues and the smaller issues I have had have all been taken care of. ~CA
Old 05-13-2022, 03:28 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I would. If that happens at my local car/truck dealership it is what it is. First come first served. I see no problem with that. I can’t count how many times I bought a vehicle from one dealer and serviced it for years at another.
But car dealers sell "one brand"... GM, FORD, CHRYSLER etc. unlike RV dealers.

The dealer that I have dealt with since 1977 sells Jayco, Grand Design, Keystone, Coachmen, Forest River, Prime Time, Venture, Winnebago, Fleetwoood and Holiday Rambler at their various locations, but you can get service at any of their locations since you are a customer on a first come, first served basis. What craigav is saying is Jayco needs to make it, if you sell Jayco they get priority and forget the other brands, that is what I am hearing.
Old 05-13-2022, 03:49 PM   #39

Quote:
But car dealers sell "one brand"... GM, FORD, CHRYSLER etc. unlike RV dealers.

The dealer that I have dealt with since 1977 sells Jayco, Grand Design, Keystone, Coachmen, Forest River, Prime Time, Venture, Winnebago, Fleetwoood and Holiday Rambler at their various locations, but you can get service at any of their locations since you are a customer on a first come, first served basis. What craigav is saying is Jayco needs to make it, if you sell Jayco they get priority and forget the other brands, that is what I am hearing.
You are hearing (reading) me incorrectly. To be clear, Jayco (or any mfg) could state in their authorized dealer agreement, that the authorized selling dealer cannot prioritize (or de-prioritize) their service schedules based on the brand presented for service (if they are authorized to sell multiple brands). First come first serve regardless of the brand presented that they sell. That is how it should be imo. ~CA
Old 05-13-2022, 06:51 PM   #40

Been there, done that. Had this conversation with my dealer before any deal was made. They prioritize the customers who purchased from them. That is what sealed the deal for me. I knew what I wanted, the only decision was from who.
Right or wrong , that's the way it is.
My boy left a fca dealer, amd went to a gm dealer. He was tired of being paid in sheckles for fca warranty work.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote