Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-07-2022, 12:01 AM   #1

Jayco warranty only at purchasing dealer?

I heard from Jayco that they are allowing dealers to deny service work unless the new unit is purchased from them. I don’t recall seeing this in brochures or other information so I have a follow up call with them looking to find out more. Has anyone else had this experience?
sub1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 12:16 AM   #2

That seems ridiculous. Many people drive hours just to purchase the exact unit they want. Many people move before their warranty period is up.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 04:18 AM   #3

Quite common here in the big city. Dealers get butt hurt if not purchased from them. Warranty work is far less profitable.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 04:46 AM   #4
Site Team

This is very common across the RV industry and is not exclusive to any particular manufacturer. In addition, it is also very common for a dealer to prioritize people who purchased from their dealership for non-warranty repairs or general service. My selling dealer does this. I just called last week to schedule the Pennsylvania annual safety inspection. Before they even discuss scheduling with you they ask "did you buy from us?"

Someone can hopefully explain it in greater detail, but from the way I have always understood it, RV dealers are not franchised or connected to the manufacturers in the same way that an auto dealer is. So, the warranty aspect is administrated differently.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 06:42 AM   #5

Winnebago works more like a car dealership, where-as you can get service from any Winnebago dealer. They even include a list of all their dealership/service centers in the packet of documentation you get upon accepting delivery.

Currently my coach is being serviced by my local dealer, not my purchasing dealer.

I’ve often wondered if Airstream offers a similar experience. My local dealer sells both, I should ask at some point.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 07:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub1187 View Post
I heard from Jayco that they are allowing dealers to deny service work unless the new unit is purchased from them. I don’t recall seeing this in brochures or other information so I have a follow up call with them looking to find out more. Has anyone else had this experience?
It's not that they are not allowing, it is the fact that they cannot force the non selling dealer to do the work. As Midnightmoon said very common across the RV industry since dealers sell multiple brands and are not franchised the same way auto dealerships are.
Old 05-07-2022, 09:22 AM   #7
CAG

Welcome to RV life and repair work.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 10:30 AM   #8

I doubt it's jayco saying that and bet it's the dealers. It's a common fear tactic for newbs. It's a way to scare you into thinking that your RV will break and you'll have nowhere to go to get it fixed.
In reality most stuff is fixable with Google and Youtube.
In some instances a mobile RV tech is allowed to come and fix your RV. I've bought my last two TT's out of town. One 250 miles away and the other 50 miles away. The 250 mile one had a slight water leak at the manifold. factory authorized for me to take it to an independent RV shop. Current TT bought 50 miles away was taken to the dealer and they couldn't fix several items and it went back to the factory. Luckily I live close to the factory.
I would not get to concerned about a local dealer blowing you off. It's done all the time and chances are they aren't worth much anyways. It's best to learn how to work on it yourself. Once you start digging into it you'll soon wonder why you paid so much money for it.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 10:40 AM   #9

Dealer are interested in high profit items like repairs. I think warranty work is way nown on the list. That was are experience!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 11:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Dealer are interested in high profit items like repairs. I think warranty work is way nown on the list. That was are experience!
So true. One issue we had the dealer said the manufacture wasn't giving them enough money for the work. Dealer had no clue what was going to be involved. Only way to know was to tear into it. How do you put a dollar figure on that?
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 11:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
. Once you start digging into it you'll soon wonder why you paid so much money for it.
Lot of truth here. When you mentally start taking the rv apart and begin seeing the materials, fixtures, appliances and construction you have just bought, it will make you think "what the heck did I buy here?" LOL

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 12:51 AM   #12

Through the last few phone calls with Jayco and area dealers, all sides are not being respectful of the customers time or have long-term purchasing in mind. This is my second new Jayco in 5 years and this experience has been far worse and in my opinion, very deceptive business practices with their advertising. The soonest I can get it in locally (75 miles away) is mid-July, otherwise I have to drive 4 hours one-way back to the purchasing dealer for fixing an manufacturer defect since I’ve only had it less than a month. They should really advertise the warranty is only really usable at the purchasing dealer.
Old 05-12-2022, 05:03 AM   #13

Some dealers will not do warranty work on a unit not purchased from them, some will. Tried to get a closer dealership to do warranty work near home base, nope. In AZ and another gladly accepted. Definitely something to consider when buying, especially with the sub par quality of some of these RV's. Yes, many of the issues can be fixed by most owners, but of my 37 warranty issues 3 were heavy repairs I could have done, but woulda been a PITA, and now my kitchen slide may have to be removed to fix my kitchen Schwatrz-tech (it's a joke!) 🙄 slide system. Warrany has 3 months left, I'm hoping all the major issues are over.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 07:40 AM   #14

It's like buying something at Walmart and asking Best Buy to repair it just at a much higher price point. Or buying a house from one builder but asking a different one to finalize the punch list but at a much lower price point.

Most consumers assume it works like an auto.

I am lucky my local Jayco dealer had a great price and has worked very well with me for the few service issues I've had. A couple issues were so well scheduled I was in and out in about 90 minutes and I didn't even unhook.
Old 05-12-2022, 08:00 AM   #15

Sounds like you have a good dealer !

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Sounds like you have a good dealer !
So far. The salesman was a little goofy. He went with the "uno card close" which I laughed at. We were back for the third time. Sat and moved about the TT for about two hours. Told him the price we would pay. All he really needed to do was say "sign here you're making three copies". But bless his heart he made a production out of it.

We picked up a couple accessories from them which cost a bit more than Amazon. I used them for two non warranty repairs. They note all of that in our customer account.

They will get a fair chance to sell us our next one.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 09:55 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
I am lucky my local Jayco dealer had a great price and has worked very well with me for the few service issues I've had. A couple issues were so well scheduled I was in and out in about 90 minutes and I didn't even unhook.
As I've stated in the past, my experience as well and that is the "KEY" to the whole process. The rigs were well checked and repaired, if needed, before I picked them up. When I went for my PDI and walk through they always scheduled 1 1/2 to 2 hrs(more than I really needed) and the rigs were inside, connected to utilities and the water tank full.
Old 05-12-2022, 10:13 AM   #18

I also believe having decades of experience on both sides of a customer service situation I can "sell" the dealership on providing me good service.

The one item they got wrong, (a cabinet hinge repair that looked like a 12 year old attempted it) I didn't yell or make demands, I just asked the service manager to please take a look and let me know what he thought. Five minutes later their best guy was inside, I was invited to watch, and the fix to the fix was flawless. They also gave me a small discount for my trouble. Which really was me waiting an extra twenty minutes and learning how to really fix it.

But I've read reviews of the same dealer and others didn't have the same great experience.

I also know I picked Jayco because they were a mid priced unit. It's not difficult to walk through an Airstream and see better materials and construction.
Old 05-12-2022, 10:51 AM   #19

I bought my 2020 400 miles from home. My local dealer couldn't come any closer than $2500 difference. He understood why I went with the out of state purchase and told us he would gladly service the unit during or after the warranty period. Never had to take him up on it . I believe it is the dealers choice to take outside work or not. If they do your probable at the back of the line.
Dbunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 12:17 AM   #20

It’s deceptive business practices for Jayco to advertise a warranty and have their authorized dealers delay or reject service because the unit was not purchased from them. I had a 2017 which was bought out of state but had no issues getting service except for the long wait for parts and appointments being weeks out. This 2022 unit should have been checked for leaks before leaving the factory and QC Jayco has is not good. So I have structural damage occurring because they failed to inspect the unit, the repair dealers are months out in my local area and customer service seems to be not existent. There is not one word in the warranty that states dealers may delay or deny warranty work if the rv was not purchased there. To assume that is the norm is giving each manufacturer a pass on their responsibility to the consumer and holding them accountable is something that needs to happen.