Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-15-2015, 11:04 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
oldmanAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: AZ
Posts: 7,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheaperrooter View Post
2010 Eagle 318RLS Fiberglass. 2015 Chevy 3500 crew 4x4. After much debate, I decided not to go with the weight distribution hitch. Did a direct connect. Made some newbe mistakes, like brought too much weight with me and didn't empty any of the tanks. It seemed that anything over 40 mph it was all over the road. Now all over the road does not mean it was swaying, no. Shouldn't have even use that term. Let's just say it felt unstable. Call it 30 years experience of being a contractor towing things and I could just tell it didn't feel like it was under control. It just didn't feel right.

I drained the holding tanks and the water tank and picked up about an extra 400 pounds. Then I got rid of some 5 gallon containers of water which is another 250. So I dump 650 pounds including taking the propane bottles off of the front and putting them in the rear of the trailer. She's riding much much better now. Still, my speed seems to be about 50 mph. Anything over that and she starts to not feel right. Not sway now, I have no sway at all. I've got it loaded to prevent that. So I don't know how to describe it, but if I have to, I would say the tires need to be so much more stiffer. I would say I'm just carrying too much weight still.

I don't know why, but I just envisioned that I would be able to sail down the road at 70 mph with no issues at all. Now that I'm actually driving this thing on the interstate it is obvious that is not going to apply. So I have a couple of questions and also, my main question is simply this. Is that normal? Should I be able to cruise down the interstate at 70, or was that never really going to happen and I was just stupid?

1) Does it have to be level? Right now the front is pointed down a foot or so, as I didn't want to use a high-rise hitch because the load rating was lower than my straight hitch. It's not awful, but it's obviously not level. Is there any rule that says it has to be level to pull it?

2) Don't understand why they only have load rated C tires on this thing. It seems to me that it is begging for some load E tires. If I take a turn, one of the tires literally looks like it's coming out from under the rim. But it has its maximum air pressure and weight I am carrying is not enough to make it do that. Only on turns ?? Think I am going to upgrade to some stiffer tires, there is no way that can hurt.
So you've told us that you know what you are doing, already have the setup you will be using to tow at 70mph, and it doesn't matter what others in JOF are using that allows them to tow at 70mph.

What you want is just the answer to two questions...
1) does the trailer have to be level and
2) does the trailer need load range E tires
(Your truck already has load range E tires, right?
You inflated the truck tires to the maximum, right?)

1) Yes, as Crabman said - level or slightly nose down, a foot is too much
2) Yes, as you said, 'It couldn't hurt.'

IMO, correcting the above will be steps in the right direction, but will probably not correct all your towing stability issues.

Please keep us updated. We'd like to know your results.
__________________

__________________
Sherm & Terry w/rescues Eydie (min Schnauzer) Steve RIP (std Poodle)
2015 Jay Flight 27RLS (Camped: 102 nights '15, 90 nights '16, 70 nights '17 so far)
2006 Ford F350 6.0 PSD, Lariat, 4WD, CC, LB, SRW, auto., Camper pkg.
oldmanAZ is offline  
Old 02-15-2015, 11:21 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
UPCamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: The Mitten
Posts: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheaperrooter View Post
I can tell you the type of person now doesn't want to admit they are incorrect so just let it go would you please? Weight distribution hitches distributes the weight. You don't need to distribute the weight when you have a vehicle that can handle the weight. They are not for everybody..
Incorrect. My F350 factory hitch isn't certified for the tongue weight of most of these trailers without a WDH. Not to mention they are used to distribute the weight evenly amongst all axles, TV and trailer. Otherwise uneven wear will occur, the trailer will be unstable and the ride will not be pleasant.
__________________

UPCamper is offline  
Old 02-15-2015, 11:24 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
SMS1115's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Fuquay-Varina
Posts: 432
The tires on your camper are only rated for 65 mph. Anything over that is a disaster waiting to happen. When the weather is good, low wind & clear sunny skies, I travel at 60-63 mph, as my setup gets the best fuel mileage. There is no way I'd travel any faster than what my tires are rated for.

As for your other issues, I'll stay away from you when you are traveling. its drivers like you that give us RV'ers a bad rap on the roads.
__________________
Steve
----------
2008 Jay Flight G2 29BHS
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline  
Old 02-15-2015, 12:07 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Charleston
Posts: 74
Geez... Here it comes. Already there has to be people to start bashing me. You all 100% percent incorrect. Even the engineers at GM have told me that for my truck, does not need a weight distribution hitch, it is not needed. It's in the freaking owners manual!!! Why must you argue with facts? You guys have been so used to using them because you have vehicles that CANT handle the load. Then somebody comes along with a vehicle that can handle the load, and already everyone starts with saying how you have to have one, because I have one...

I have already found out the issue thank you very much. I just went over a cat scale. I am way overloaded with my supplies. I brought way too much stuff with me. That is what is causing issue with the tires and everything else, not the weight distribution hitch.
Cheaperrooter is offline  
Old 02-15-2015, 12:16 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
wags999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Surprise
Posts: 1,499
Cheaperrooter I'm not an expert so won't' give you any advice.. But why come onto a forum ask questions and then tell everyone you know better than anyone else? Obviously your the expert, but, what your doing isn't working, that should tell you something. You come across very arrogant, perhaps your not, but why not just read what they have to say and then what you want. A WD certainly ties the rig to the Tv much more than just a ball does... Good luck
__________________
2011 Toyota Tundra double cab
2015 27RLS
wags999 is offline  
Old 02-15-2015, 12:22 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Larry G.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Reno (home base) Winter Eloy, AZ
Posts: 951
If you get a weight ditribution hitch with sway control and initially set it up correctly you should be completely happy...and safe.

You are brand new here and came for answers/help so why ignore from those that have experience trying to help you?

Good luck and safe travels.
__________________

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline  
Old 02-15-2015, 12:22 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
ninjahbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Eatonton
Posts: 305
SMS1115Im with you we get our best mileage at your speeds and our Ford truck with toe package works best at that speed. You should always do what is safe for yourself and for others on the road.I would listen and evaluate all of the above advice Im sure the answer is there somewhere. One last thought if the rear drops 1 foot what is that doing to the front weight as it relates to steering.The WD system will balance your truck front to back.
ninjahbob is offline  
Old 02-15-2015, 12:43 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
UPCamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: The Mitten
Posts: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheaperrooter View Post
Geez... Here it comes. Already there has to be people to start bashing me. You all 100% percent incorrect. Even the engineers at GM have told me that for my truck, does not need a weight distribution hitch, it is not needed. It's in the freaking owners manual!!! Why must you argue with facts? You guys have been so used to using them because you have vehicles that CANT handle the load. Then somebody comes along with a vehicle that can handle the load, and already everyone starts with saying how you have to have one, because I have one...

I have already found out the issue thank you very much. I just went over a cat scale. I am way overloaded with my supplies. I brought way too much stuff with me. That is what is causing issue with the tires and everything else, not the weight distribution hitch.
You realize you aren't the only one with a 1 ton or larger truck on here correct? I own one as do the the majority of the users on this forum. You obviously know better us, so not sure why you came on here to ask us a question.
UPCamper is offline  
Old 02-15-2015, 12:57 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
ctbailey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheaperrooter View Post
Geez... Here it comes. Already there has to be people to start bashing me. You all 100% percent incorrect. Even the engineers at GM have told me that for my truck, does not need a weight distribution hitch, it is not needed. It's in the freaking owners manual!!! Why must you argue with facts? You guys have been so used to using them because you have vehicles that CANT handle the load. Then somebody comes along with a vehicle that can handle the load, and already everyone starts with saying how you have to have one, because I have one...

I have already found out the issue thank you very much. I just went over a cat scale. I am way overloaded with my supplies. I brought way too much stuff with me. That is what is causing issue with the tires and everything else, not the weight distribution hitch.
Yup. I've been on the receiving end of a JOF bash, and it ain't pretty. At One point the mods eventually deleted the entire thread.

Anyways, I think the travel trailer experiences different dynamics then an equipment trailer. Of course having too much load on the tires is not helpful...
But the TT is so much lighter, yet taller, and it's loads are not equally distributed like when we load a backhoe. The TT is just different.
That's why the inherent sway control that comes with a WDH helps keep crap in line.

The WDH most guys use helps them with sway more than the need to increase load capacity.

Heck, the sway control probably lets guys overload their trailer tires and not know it... Because they don't feel the squirrelly trailer.

So, welcome, and don't stop going against the grain. Lemmings need a reality check sometimes.

Craig
ctbailey is offline  
Old 02-15-2015, 01:09 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Charleston
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Cheaperrooter I'm not an expert so won't' give you any advice.. But why come onto a forum ask questions and then tell everyone you know better than anyone else? Obviously your the expert, but, what your doing isn't working, that should tell you something. You come across very arrogant, perhaps your not, but why not just read what they have to say and then what you want. A WD certainly ties the rig to the Tv much more than just a ball does... Good luck

The problem is simple. I did go back and read a lot of the replies, and the ones that were RELEVANT I applied. The ones I am ignoring, are the ones that are talking about a weight distribution hitch. At no time did I ask for advice on the weight distribution hitch? But yet, everyone wants to say things like you came on here and I cannot take advice. I am taking advice, concerning the issues that I said I was having, not to argue or debate ABOUT A WDH.

The ones who replied about it possibly being other things, are the ones I listen to. There are signs when you are towing that it's a weight distribution hitch problem. If you had read my original post, none of those signs were apparent. The weight distribution hitch in this case is not the issue, and my arrogance is better find as confidence, about subject matter that I have researched thoroughly. And I mean very thoroughly.

But yet, there are those, that just like to throw out how weight distribution hitch is the end all to every related towing problem. It is not. A 1 ton truck is designed to handle the simple load of a 1200 pound tongue weight. Do you not think when they designed this truck, that they know that kind of weight is applied to the rear of the truck, the front end of the truck comes in the play? That is not new news. To Anybody.

I am a very nice man. And I'm not arrogant at all. But don't offer advice that was not asked for, and then when I take exception with it, label me as being arrogant simply because I disagree with it.

And please don't start with the you "are new here whining." New to a formum has absolutely nothing to do with new to towing.

I have the debated the WDH debate as much as I care too. I asked nicely and politely to please not go there. Others insisted unfortunately at moving forth into the thread speaking of the attributes of weight distribution hitch when that wasn't what I asked for.

I listed specific questions at the bottom, and basically was trying to understand just how fast this truck and trailer should be able to successfully go on the highway with no issues. If I was asking too much to want to go 70 with it.

A couple of people actually answered those questions, and I thank you very much. But nobody has yet successfully answer the question I was trying to get to, instead, decided to start throwing out how the WDH was going to take care of it all. That is just incorrect.

And then, God forbid, when I have the audacity to respond negatively, to someone who has told me the answer to something I never asked for to begin with, and then, have the audacity, to actually disagree with them, I'm now labeled as being arrogant? Because I disagree with you? This is been researched and the conversation is over.

My specific combination does not require a WDH. Believe it or not, I don't care. But you keep going on and on with how it does, and then label me as arrogant for disagreeing with you, is ridiculous.

I'm sure it all revolves around the fact, that because you have to attach and haul around that ridiculous contraption every time you hook up your tow vehicle, that the concept of somebody just pulling up a ball and taking off is more than you can bare. So in order to get around that, you start calling me arrogant, new to the thread, not taking advice of others, blah blah blah.
__________________

Cheaperrooter is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.