Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-23-2020, 01:24 PM   #21

I cut my grass this morning in short pants.
Bstrine99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:49 PM   #22

Fi you are getting more than that... and it won't all melt off before the next storm - you will end up with layers of ice/snow/ice/snow and it will be next spring before you might get it off. There lies the problem of what happens around the roof openings with 4" of ice surrounding a vent or AC unit. The melt will be trapped and water rising will come in thru your vents.

We use a snow rake to remove the snow from one side of the vent / ac / tank vents so we don't get water damage again.

https://www.amazon.com/Garant-GPRR24...dp/B000A16VS4/
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 03:06 PM   #23

This is our first time spending winter in Arizona from the east coast. Even with COVID, social distancing, masks, and isolating, we still don’t miss the snow.
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 03:47 PM   #24

After seeing all that white stuff I love Arizona even more!

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 04:15 PM   #25

I'm old. I'm beginning to miss a few things now and then. Remind me how snow gains weight as it reverts to water and freezes please.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 05:01 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyof5 View Post
I agree. Snow is one thing ice is alot heavier as i am sure you know.
I think what people were saying if a five gallon bucket of snow weighed say 5 pounds and then it melts and refreezes the bucket will still weigh 5 pounds, unless it rains.
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 05:57 PM   #27

..WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THURSDAY TO 7 PM EST
SATURDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow expected. This will initially be widespread
wet snow Thursday night, followed more localized lake effect
snow Friday into Saturday. There may be a break in the snowfall Friday
before the lake effect snow kicks in. Total snow accumulations
of 9 to 18 inches. Lower accumulations of 4 to 9 inches are
expected along and south of I-86. Winds gusting as high as 40
mph.

* WHERE...Chautauqua county.

* WHEN...From 7 PM Thursday to 7 PM EST Saturday.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult to impossible. The
hazardous

Has anyone out there ever run an electric heater inside to keep the roof clear of a buildup?
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:12 PM   #28

Whoa Nelly! Wish we could borrow a little snow from you here in east Texas—75 degrees here today!
Old 12-23-2020, 06:40 PM   #29

Fired up both snow blowers and both snowmobiles, bring it on!
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:59 PM   #30

My Jayco TT is covered. I use a step ladder and snow rake to gently remove snow. I did it this morning whil the temp was below freezing. We had 18” of snow last week. It’s going to start raining tomorrow and wanted to get the snow off before it does.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:24 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
I'm old. I'm beginning to miss a few things now and then. Remind me how snow gains weight as it reverts to water and freezes please.
What it weighs before and after is the same. No problem.

The problem is when you have a foot of snow and then you get a cold rain. The snow doesn't melt but it picks up a lot of water and then you have doubled or tripled the weight. Then if it freezes it doesn't melt easy and it stays a long time.

Torrential rain and no snow on the roof = no weight change cause it all runs off.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:26 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
After seeing all that white stuff I love Arizona even more!
I went to AZ in the summer. Dry heat, my &^%. When its 106 outside its 106, dry or not. Thought I was going to die.

Nothing nicer than taking a brisk walk in the snow when its 30 outside.

As they say, YMMV...
Old 12-23-2020, 07:32 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
This is our first time spending winter in Arizona from the east coast. Even with COVID, social distancing, masks, and isolating, we still don’t miss the snow.
Dont miss it here in Michigan either. We ain't got one flake on the ground, it was 48* out today and I was out washing both vehicles in the driveway with just a light sweatshirt on. December 23, no snow 48* outside and I almost got the lawnmower back out to cut the grass one last last time. Lol!
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:41 PM   #34

Quote:
In winter... It snows on day-1 and later on day-2. The sun comes out on day three but it is still 22F. The sides are in the sun and warm up and the snow along the edges starts to melt a little as the snow compacts. Day 4,5 and 6 are the same where the snow on the top that was 16" thick on day-1 is now 11 inches deep and like a hard packed snow-cone until it re-freezes on day 7 when the night temperatures are falling. Tomorrow, a new storm is going to drop another 12-inches of new snow on top of the 11-inches of snow/ice from the first storm.

Storm #2 dumps 12" of new soft, powdery snow on top of the 11" of frozen slush that remained from storm #1. Now you have over 20" of snow/ice covering the top of your motorhome/trailer. The roof top vents are buried and no longer will vent, but the next few days are going to be sunny again and the side of the RV will take all that warm sun and heat the inside of your RV again... all of that 40F air on the inside that was heated by the sidewalls will hit the roof-top vent and start to melt the snow on top of the vent, but it is surrounded by 11-inches of ice that is stuck to the roof.

Next week... Storm #3 same thing repeats... Storm 4, storm 5. They seem to come every 9-14 days in snow country.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:44 PM   #35

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
i have a roof rake ..... no need to get on the roof
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/y...1579p.html#srp

works like a charm
Old 12-23-2020, 08:22 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
If you leave it alone it'll be just like all the Rvs in the neighborhood and at the dealer's lots.

If you poke at it with brushes and poles can you be assured you won't damage the roof membrane?

Are ya feelin lucky?
Funny! I'm sure if he doesn't stab at the roof or pound on it with the pole, or accidentally push the AC unit off, it will be fine. LOL
If it were mine, like others have mentioned, I would *gently* push off as much snow as possible with a push broom. Or... for fun, build a snowman up there and then push it off

We're in North Georgia and don't normally get more than a few inches of snow, but I would definitely be cracking open the ladder and pushing the snow off at my first opportunity. It would probably be fine but after spending 80k on a 30Z, I'm definitely babying the heck out of this unit.
JohnnyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:38 PM   #37

Just push it off with a push broom every time snow accumulates. No weight no worries. And that much less to melt slowly to find a leak
deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 08:41 AM   #38

The good thing about a Jayco is the roof truss supports can hold it👍
Ceimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 10:03 AM   #39

The largest RV dealer in Western NY State is down the street from me. I drive by him every day. I have never seen him clear the snow off of any of his in-stock units. Just sayin'.
Old 12-24-2020, 12:39 PM   #40

Quote:
You're right. An inch of water weighs about the same as a foot of show. The issue is that it freezes at the roof edges, trapping liquid water just behind the edge. This pool of water may find its way under the house roof shingles and into the ceiling below. Most houses here have a rubber membrane around the roof perimeter but in extreme cases, the water can still find its way inside. For an RV that isn't heated, it can still pool on the roof and find its way into the RV if it's not covered. When the water eventually refreezes, it can do a lot of damage.

I just went outside and checked the roof on our RV. It's got a few inches of show on it but it should be OK. Its got a cover on it. For our old camper, I would have raked it off but Jayco says there is no need with their magnum-truss roof. This is our first winter with the camper so my fingers are crossed.

I raked off the edge of our house roof and tossed a few salt pills up there for good measure.
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote