Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-06-2018, 02:20 PM   #1

Level of effort for new ~400 watt solar configuration??

Hello,

I have been using a 100 watt Renogy suitcase with PWM controller for battery maintenance but now want to install a bigger permanent roof mounted system and do about 4-7 day boon docking trips.

I have a 2017 Jay Flight SLX 175RD that has no solar prep other than a side port on the tongue.

I've sized a system which will include:

2 x 160 watt panels
Roof combiner
Victron 50A/100 Mppt charge/controller with 4 gauge duplex wire from controller to batteries.
Victron battery monitor
Associated shunt, fuses, disconnect switch, panel mounts, cables, etc.
Will add inverter at a later time.

Question: Roughly, About how many hours of labor would it take someone new to solar and not very handy to install such a system??

How long for someone in the business of rv solar installations??

Thanks in advance
OregonPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:39 PM   #2

I would guess you could do it in one day. How much did your system cost you and where are you getting it if you don’t mind me asking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nighthawk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:06 PM   #3

Oregon

I’m looking to add solar too. I’m currently doing research on it to familiarize myself with what I need. I know fairly little about it at the moment but I am pretty handy and this to me seems like at least half a days work for someone skilled or really handy. If you’re not very handy, it shouldn’t be too hard to do, but make sure you connect everything correctly and make sure you seal up any penetrations in the roof properly. Any mistake in either would lead to more expensive repairs.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:52 PM   #4

The configuration is from AM Solar for around $1700. They have a pretty good reputation and are just located about 60 minutes from me in Springfield Oregon.
The charger/controller will support up to 670 watts but is more than I anticipate needing but I didn't want to be maxed out at 400 watts with the Victron 30A/100 MPPT controller for the ~$150 difference in price.

I could probably get things cheaper somewhere but I know I will have all the pieces and can be face to face with questions, faulty equipment, or warranty issues.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:50 AM   #5

Depending on abilities and comfort level, installing two panels, controller and wiring will probably take 6-16 hours. I installed two 280w 24v panels, 40A mppt charge controller and wiring in about 8 hours without any prior direct experience but I've done car stereo and basement wiring in the past so i wasn't scared. My panels were previously used on a business building but my total cost for everything was about $430.

@Mustang had some good reference information in the Community - Social Group - Solar section. Didn't forget to upgrade your battery capacity to at least 200Ah deep cycle with your panels. Good luck!
Old 03-07-2018, 04:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen_C View Post
Depending on abilities and comfort level, installing two panels, controller and wiring will probably take 6-16 hours. I installed two 280w 24v panels, 40A mppt charge controller and wiring in about 8 hours without any prior direct experience but I've done car stereo and basement wiring in the past so i wasn't scared. My panels were previously used on a business building but my total cost for everything was about $430.

@Mustang had some good reference information in the Community - Social Group - Solar section. Didn't forget to upgrade your battery capacity to at least 200Ah deep cycle with your panels. Good luck!

Maybe I’m missing something, but the panel install takes literally 15 min to bolt them down and dicor them. The controller takes about 15 to mount, maybe 30 if you count the time to remove the stuff in your storage bin.

Running the wire from the panels to the controller is about 2hrs max. Your looking at 3hrs in my book. Maybe 4 if you add an hour just for the learning curve.

What am I missing?

Old 03-07-2018, 08:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk87 View Post
Maybe I’m missing something, but the panel install takes literally 15 min to bolt them down and dicor them. The controller takes about 15 to mount, maybe 30 if you count the time to remove the stuff in your storage bin.

Running the wire from the panels to the controller is about 2hrs max. Your looking at 3hrs in my book. Maybe 4 if you add an hour just for the learning curve.

What am I missing?

If you are very familiar with the inside of your RV then yes it can go much more quickly. As a new class a owner it took me a couple hours to figure out how to fish the line down from the roof and feed it to where it needed to go and to drill the holes required to get it done. Also because I had to drill holes in my roof I was extremely cautious and deliberate in how I did it so I did not have any issues down the road. Yes it can be done faster but it all depends on your level of expertise and knowledge of your unit I thin. Just my 2 cents!
Old 03-07-2018, 09:04 PM   #8

Does the gauge of wire larger than say #10 matter much if you have a 30’ run from panels to controller? If voltage drops even an entire volt, the PWM controller will just chop off anything about around 15V anyway right?

Old 03-08-2018, 08:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Your looking at 3hrs in my book. Maybe 4 if you add an hour just for the learning curve.
Heck, it takes me that much time just to scratch my butt and think about it! 😌
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
Heck, it takes me that much time just to scratch my butt and think about it! [emoji18]

Me too most likely. At least I know I’m not the only one. Wife always asks why I stare at stuff so long when doing projects. I’m like, “I’m thinking”.

Point of my post was to convince myself if I didn’t do that then it’s plausible I could actually be efficient.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Does the gauge of wire larger than say #10 matter much if you have a 30’ run from panels to controller? If voltage drops even an entire volt, the PWM controller will just chop off anything about around 15V anyway right?

That length run, I would do #8 minimum. The drop doesn't matter as much with PWM, but you would be in a better place if you ever upgrade to MPPT, and that volt may not matter in full sun, but could really matter on a cloudy day.....
Old 03-10-2018, 10:07 AM   #12

I have 640w panels, inverter, 400 Ah lithium batteries. I paid if I remember correctly $1500 for installation, including installation of maxx vent and back up camera. This was done by the sun works in southern Cali. Shops closer to me were giving $4-7k budgets without vent and camera installation.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:38 AM   #13

For the configuration I posted, the commercial installers I queried around Portland, OR were charging about $120/hr per hour and estimating about 12-15 hours labor.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonPerson View Post
For the configuration I posted, the commercial installers I queried around Portland, OR were charging about $120/hr per hour and estimating about 12-15 hours labor.

A professional should not take more than 8 hours installing 2 panels on an rv they are not familiar with.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:13 AM   #15
Site Team

If you are going to DIY, I would not try to see if you can squeeze the installation into a time slot. Take your time and do it right, other wise you will be spending additional time correcting your original work. If it takes you 4 hours (I doubt that) to do a perfect install, GREAT!!! If it takes you 8 hours or 12 hours, no problem!! Do it RIGHT the first time.

As mentioned earlier, do some staring, that always helps.

Do a pre-survey of the project. Make a check list, get on the roof, look over where the panels will be mounted, check if that your original locations are the best place for them (any shadows from TV antenna, AC unit, radio antenna (if you have one on the roof), roof vents/covers.... Now is the time to rearrange them if necessary. If you need a combiner box (for parallel panel connections), figure out the best place to put it. Look over your choice for the cable run down from the roof. If you using the JAYCO prewire connector, check for continuity before you start the install! Also check the prewired wire gauge (where ever the cable comes out by the batteries). You can tell the size wire by measuring the diameter of the copper wire and using the comparison charts that you can GOOGLE. Base on what other members have found, I would venture that the pre-wire size is 8WG, but check it.

Go over where you are going to mount your PWM SOLAR charge controller. Do you have the proper size cable end lugs? Are you using a crimp type lug for the battery connection form the PWM? So you have the cables pre cut?

Before you start the roof install, you can grab your PWM and mount it where you want it and wire it to the Battery. I recommend a fuse or manual breaker on each side of the PWM. Should you need to work on or enhance any of the SOLAR, you need to disconnect the SOLAR first then the PWM from the battery. When you want to add the SOLAR panels back into the circuit, you need to have the PWM connected to the battery first. All this PWM stuff can be done before the actual SOLAR panel part.

Preparation and planning are the 2 longest parts of any project.

Lay out all your parts on the garage floor or driveway, and make sure that with all your parts laid out it will be a complete system, that way there are no surprises when you are on the roof.

Bolt your SOLAR panel mounts on the panel before you get on the roof. That way you just lay the panels where you want them to be, predrill the mounting holes take the steps to waterproof the holes, screws and mounting brackets.

Before you start the roof install, if you are going to drill a hole, or use the fridge vent or another vent to get from the roof down. I would recommend that you fish a line (not cable) from the roof to where ever the other end is going. That way you when you start the project, you will know that you have a clear shot to pull the cable down. If you wait until the day of the install, you may hit a snag with the cable run.

Keep staring, the best way is to think through the pre-install process. I can't say this enough!!

I could keep going with this, but you would need a bottle of No-Doze tablets. If you ask me the most difficult part of the install is getting through all the PRE-THINKING. After you are done with the install, you will look back and say that the hardest part of the install was the planning part.

Good Luck,
Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:06 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
If you are going to DIY, I would not try to see if you can squeeze the installation into a time slot. Take your time and do it right, other wise you will be spending additional time correcting your original work. If it takes you 4 hours (I doubt that) to do a perfect install, GREAT!!! If it takes you 8 hours or 12 hours, no problem!! Do it RIGHT the first time.

As mentioned earlier, do some staring, that always helps.

Do a pre-survey of the project. Make a check list, get on the roof, look over where the panels will be mounted, check if that your original locations are the best place for them (any shadows from TV antenna, AC unit, radio antenna (if you have one on the roof), roof vents/covers.... Now is the time to rearrange them if necessary. If you need a combiner box (for parallel panel connections), figure out the best place to put it. Look over your choice for the cable run down from the roof. If you using the JAYCO prewire connector, check for continuity before you start the install! Also check the prewired wire gauge (where ever the cable comes out by the batteries). You can tell the size wire by measuring the diameter of the copper wire and using the comparison charts that you can GOOGLE. Base on what other members have found, I would venture that the pre-wire size is 8WG, but check it.

Go over where you are going to mount your PWM SOLAR charge controller. Do you have the proper size cable end lugs? Are you using a crimp type lug for the battery connection form the PWM? So you have the cables pre cut?

Before you start the roof install, you can grab your PWM and mount it where you want it and wire it to the Battery. I recommend a fuse or manual breaker on each side of the PWM. Should you need to work on or enhance any of the SOLAR, you need to disconnect the SOLAR first then the PWM from the battery. When you want to add the SOLAR panels back into the circuit, you need to have the PWM connected to the battery first. All this PWM stuff can be done before the actual SOLAR panel part.

Preparation and planning are the 2 longest parts of any project.

Lay out all your parts on the garage floor or driveway, and make sure that with all your parts laid out it will be a complete system, that way there are no surprises when you are on the roof.

Bolt your SOLAR panel mounts on the panel before you get on the roof. That way you just lay the panels where you want them to be, predrill the mounting holes take the steps to waterproof the holes, screws and mounting brackets.

Before you start the roof install, if you are going to drill a hole, or use the fridge vent or another vent to get from the roof down. I would recommend that you fish a line (not cable) from the roof to where ever the other end is going. That way you when you start the project, you will know that you have a clear shot to pull the cable down. If you wait until the day of the install, you may hit a snag with the cable run.

Keep staring, the best way is to think through the pre-install process. I can't say this enough!!

I could keep going with this, but you would need a bottle of No-Doze tablets. If you ask me the most difficult part of the install is getting through all the PRE-THINKING. After you are done with the install, you will look back and say that the hardest part of the install was the planning part.

Good Luck,
Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR

I can count the countless hours staring at pics of my trailer and thinking through it. Also my wiring schematic too then. Unfortunately, I can’t keep my trailer for more than two days as I have an HOA so I may plan a sat/sun install and even pre install stuff in storage so I don’t tackle it all at once.