Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-02-2018, 03:15 PM   #1

Lights flicker when furnace comes on

Hello,

We recently purchased a 2018 Jayco Eagle 330RSTS travel trailer and we noticed that the lights flicker every time the furnace starts up. Strangely even the lights over our dining table will flicker when they are turned off. I'm concerned about this and just wanted to check with the forum to see if there is any experience with this and if so what can be done to fix the problem.

Thanks,
David
dmartfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 04:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmartfw View Post
Hello,

We recently purchased a 2018 Jayco Eagle 330RSTS travel trailer and we noticed that the lights flicker every time the furnace starts up. Strangely even the lights over our dining table will flicker when they are turned off. I'm concerned about this and just wanted to check with the forum to see if there is any experience with this and if so what can be done to fix the problem.

Thanks,
David
Most likely just a bad connection/loose somewhere.
Disconnect the batteries and mark the wires, plus and minus. Disconnect, clean and tighten every connection in the trailer starting with the wires near the battery. Disconnect and clean the negative wire connected to the trailer's frame, tighten all the connections in the power distribution panel inside the trailer.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks,
David
This seems to be happening to several of us. Here is a link to another thread about it.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...rts-52463.html
vegasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks,
David
Hello I just purchased a 2018 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5 RSTS and I’m having the exact same issue. Did you ever figure out what was wrong? Thanks Todd
Badge366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:40 AM   #5
Site Team

I have always had problems with just a couple of LED's in a LED array flickering when on until they have been on awhile. Maybe not related but it's sure annoying.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I have always had problems with just a couple of LED's in a LED array flickering when on until they have been on awhile. Maybe not related but it's sure annoying.
The lights aren’t even on when they start flickering as the igniter on the furnace clicks the come on and flicker. With they lights on the don’t flicker.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:45 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badge366 View Post
The lights aren’t even on when they start flickering as the igniter on the furnace clicks the come on and flicker. With they lights on the don’t flicker.
Yep, I understood. Hope my comment was not confusing.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Yep, I understood. Hope my comment was not confusing.
Ok I’ve noticed quite a few others with the same problem, frustrating the camper is 6 days old.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:24 AM   #9

This is pure speculation, but...

When the igniter in your furnace fires, it's going to pull a larger current, momentarily, from the power source.
If the wiring is "bundled", such that there are long runs of cable close together, it's possible that the current "spike" might create an induced voltage in the wiring to your lights.
One of the big selling points of LEDs is that they require very little energy to light them, so even a small induced pulse would energise them, momentarily.

Then again, it's early Sunday morning and I've only had one coffee so far, so I could be wrong :-)

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRJuliian View Post
This is pure speculation, but...

When the igniter in your furnace fires, it's going to pull a larger current, momentarily, from the power source.
If the wiring is "bundled", such that there are long runs of cable close together, it's possible that the current "spike" might create an induced voltage in the wiring to your lights.
One of the big selling points of LEDs is that they require very little energy to light them, so even a small induced pulse would energise them, momentarily.

Then again, it's early Sunday morning and I've only had one coffee so far, so I could be wrong :-)
I have heard of others with the same problem and you could be onto something cause the dimmer/light switch is literally above the thermostat so that could be it.
Thanks Todd
Old 04-29-2018, 08:46 AM   #11

LED Lights Flickering

Hello,

I do have an update. I took our RV to the dealer and they reached out to Jayco for assistance. Jayco told them to replace the dimmer switchers (we have two in this model). The bad news is this did not fix the problem. We still have the issue and we are just living with it for now. Another annoying issue is our TV also flickers and I'm sure that's not good for it. After leaving the RV in the shop for weeks we just decided to throw in the towel.

I do believe the issue is as WeRJuliian described it - induced voltage along the wiring harness. I don't believe this is any kind of safety issue (at least that's what the dealership assured me of) so for now it's just annoying. We are lucky in that we live in south Texas so we don't get a lot of cold weather down here. We also now just turn the furnace on in the morning when we get up just to be safe in case something does go wrong :-)

Hopefully someone else will post a fix for this down the road.

Regards,
David
Old 04-29-2018, 09:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Hello,

I do have an update. I took our RV to the dealer and they reached out to Jayco for assistance. Jayco told them to replace the dimmer switchers (we have two in this model). The bad news is this did not fix the problem. We still have the issue and we are just living with it for now. Another annoying issue is our TV also flickers and I'm sure that's not good for it. After leaving the RV in the shop for weeks we just decided to throw in the towel.

I do believe the issue is as WeRJuliian described it - induced voltage along the wiring harness. I don't believe this is any kind of safety issue (at least that's what the dealership assured me of) so for now it's just annoying. We are lucky in that we live in south Texas so we don't get a lot of cold weather down here. We also now just turn the furnace on in the morning when we get up just to be safe in case something does go wrong :-)

Regards,
David
Awesome thanks for the reply, we just picked ours up and besides the lights flickering now the furnace won’t even ignite, do it’s gonna have to go back to the dealer for that, I tried everything I could think of. I’m up in south east Michigan, gotta have heat.
Thanks Todd
Old 04-29-2018, 09:25 AM   #13

LED Lights Flickering

Oh wow, I'm sorry to hear that Todd. I wish you the best of luck and do let us know if your dealer has any luck fixing this.

I will say, other than this issue, knock on wood we really like our Jayco Eagle so far. It's a beast to back in but really nice once we get it set up :-)
Old 04-29-2018, 06:33 PM   #14

Check all grounds at breaker box make sure all power is disconnected AC and DC .Sometimes there is a ground block behind the breaker box mounted to the floor Need to entire unit usually 4 screws ..plus the cover check 12 power wires in breaker box also they go to plastic fuses
ShortCircuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Hello,

Regards,
David
With the thermostat wires run along with the light circuit, it is most likely picking up induced voltage from the furnace igniter. I have run the thermostat wires under the trailer instead of above the ceiling, this has seemed to fix the problem.
Wfd106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:40 PM   #16

I have a 2018 Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS. I have the same issue as described in this thread. At the moment my ignitor on furnace goes off there is a flash from my LED lights that are in a dimmer switch. I will contact my dealer next week to see about getting a filter installed and report back.
BadBeans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights flicker