Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-19-2019, 02:13 PM   #1

New Owner Soon! Jay Flight 32BHDS

Hi! Long time forum lurker, and soon to be owner. Family of 4, new to owning a trailer, but not new to camping.

After finding a floorplan that worked for us, looking at weights, options, tank capabilities, bed sizes, and costs, we finally zeroed in on the 32BHDS with dual AC, thermal package, hide-a-bed, and a couple of other options.

Once we had the want list firm, I shopped around to about a dozen dealerships here in the upper Midwest and a couple of the wholesalers - we are lucky to live only a couple hours from the factory. After a ton of back-and-forth, we placed the order at the beginning of this month, with expected delivery in 8-10 weeks - the order sheet shows an expected competition date of March 18th. I was able to secure 38% off true MSRP, and no additional dealer prep fees from a dealer about an hour from home. The whole process was both exhausting and informative! Feel free to ask more details on this process.

Tow vehicle is a 2012 Buick Enclave with the MaxxTow package (I recently added air bag suspension to make sure I am good on payload).

:-)

Ok Ok, TV is really a 2018 Ram 2500 Megacab 6.4 gasser - rated at about 12k towing and 3K payload. I haven't loaded and scaled it yet, but plan to and feel confident we will be well within safety margins, I know the 32BHDS can get tounge heavy quickly. Would have loved to try the diesel but couldn't justify the extra cost for my mostly flatland towing.

We have already booked trips for the major holiday weekends at a scattering of IN State Parks, and will continue to explore a little further as we get comfortable with the rig.

Thanks for all the great info here so far, we look forward to contributing in the future.
LawnFlamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:42 PM   #2

Its as if I could have written this....Getting ready to pull the trigger on the same trailer. Already have the '15 version of your truck with same power train. I have towed a 7K trailer with it since new, it handles it well and like you did not want to fork over the $$ for the oil burner. With the increased payload of the gas vs the diesel it should have no issue towing the same combo. The overall length is somewhat of a concern, but it is what it is. What dealer did you go with if you dont mind me asking? Also did you go with fiberglass or traditional?
Ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:53 PM   #3

New Owner

Would you please provide an explanation of the term "true MSRP". I'm not familiar with it.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:53 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

LawnFlamingo,

Welcome to JOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnFlamingo View Post
snip...... I haven't loaded and scaled it yet, but plan to and feel confident we will be well within safety margins, I know the 32BHDS can get tongue heavy quickly.......snip
Sounds like you have a good plan in place and understand how a weigh-in can confirm weights and WDH adjustments.

CAT scale how-to: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...v-tt-3871.html

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Hi! Long time forum lurker, and soon to be owner. Family of 4, new to owning a trailer, but not new to camping.

After finding a floorplan that worked for us, looking at weights, options, tank capabilities, bed sizes, and costs, we finally zeroed in on the 32BHDS with dual AC, thermal package, hide-a-bed, and a couple of other options.

Once we had the want list firm, I shopped around to about a dozen dealerships here in the upper Midwest and a couple of the wholesalers - we are lucky to live only a couple hours from the factory. After a ton of back-and-forth, we placed the order at the beginning of this month, with expected delivery in 8-10 weeks - the order sheet shows an expected competition date of March 18th. I was able to secure 38% off true MSRP, and no additional dealer prep fees from a dealer about an hour from home. The whole process was both exhausting and informative! Feel free to ask more details on this process.

Tow vehicle is a 2012 Buick Enclave with the MaxxTow package (I recently added air bag suspension to make sure I am good on payload).

:-)

Ok Ok, TV is really a 2018 Ram 2500 Megacab 6.4 gasser - rated at about 12k towing and 3K payload. I haven't loaded and scaled it yet, but plan to and feel confident we will be well within safety margins, I know the 32BHDS can get tounge heavy quickly. Would have loved to try the diesel but couldn't justify the extra cost for my mostly flatland towing.

We have already booked trips for the major holiday weekends at a scattering of IN State Parks, and will continue to explore a little further as we get comfortable with the rig.

Thanks for all the great info here so far, we look forward to contributing in the future.
Buick Enclave... I laughed!!

Congrats. It's a great floorplan for a family of 4.

2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Vasquez Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:57 PM   #6

Quote:
...snip...

Congratulations (soon ) on the new trailer and welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohok1 View Post
Would you please provide an explanation of the term "true MSRP". I'm not familiar with it.
Hi Mohok1 - I'm referring to the MSRP prices listed on the Jayco website and their order form, not the prices found on some not so honest dealer breakdowns, in an effort to inflate the price and give the appearance of a higher discount % to the customer.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryand View Post
What dealer did you go with if you dont mind me asking? Also did you go with fiberglass or traditional?
Happy to send you the info in a PM, I hate to promote the dealer until I am satisfied with how it all shakes out and have a chance to test their after sales support! Even with the great price and generally friendly demeanor, getting much reaction from them at times has been challenging.

We went with the traditional sides - going new was already pushing the budget, and another couple thousand was not worth it. I had planned on finding something a couple years old to let someone else work out the bugs as well as letting them take the depreciation, but decided to spend the extra money. I like the looks of the fiberglass, but understand the traditional is much easier to repair.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:53 PM   #9

When you do your walk thru make sure you have a thermal thermometer with you to check the heat coming out of EVERY heating duct, as well as cold air from the AC unit(s). It should be full of water with the water heater on so you can also check the temp of the hot water. Take a tire gauge and check pressures on every tire and make sure nothing is hanging down under the trailer...wires, piping, etc. Being new the holding tanks should be empty so check the black and grey dump valves to make sure they open and close easily. If it has a ladder go up on the roof and check the roofing material for any bubbles or imperfections. Look at the caulking around the AC unit,vents, TV antenna, etc,. If there is no ladder have them provide you with a means of getting on the roof. DO NOT leave the dealers lot without a roof inspection. Also, make sure you have no pebbles in your shoes before you do your inspection.

Take notes of every item that needs to be fixed and have them fixed BEFORE you sign documents. Once you sign the contract the trailer is yours and then getting things fixed can turn into a nightmare.

Taking a video of your walk thru also might come in handy later on. Most are done in a hurry and you will probably forget most of it by the time you get it home. Ask as many questions as you can. Google "rv walkthroughs" for more helpful information.

That being said, have fun with your new RV!
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:02 PM   #10

Congratulations! You guys have some beautiful parks in Indiana. Happy Travels!

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:41 PM   #11

Congratulations and welcome!
Old 02-20-2019, 07:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
When you do your walk thru make sure you have a thermal thermometer with you to check the heat coming out of EVERY heating duct, as....

That being said, have fun with your new RV!
Thanks so much for taking the time to write all that out, it's great advice!
Old 02-20-2019, 07:56 AM   #13

Thanks for all the other warm welcomes, we are looking forward to getting on the road!
Old 04-10-2019, 01:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryand View Post
What dealer did you go with if you dont mind me asking? Also did you go with fiberglass or traditional?
We used Zoomers RV based out of Wabash, IN - the experience was smooth, the price was right, and we didn't have a single issue at our PDI.

We have offically been through the 1st shakedown weekend and all has been good. I would like to put an accumulator on the water system, the pump cycles too quickly with using the sink at a low flow rate. Also want to put a dimmer on the awning LED - all in due time!
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190328_133035.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	48553Click image for larger version

Name:	20190405_192953.jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	48554
Old 04-10-2019, 06:29 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip......I would like to put an accumulator on the water system, the pump cycles too quickly with using the sink at a low flow rate.....snip
Installed one in my TT, made a notable difference.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Installed one in my TT...

Bob
Looks good!
Old 04-10-2019, 10:15 PM   #17

My neighbor has a 6.4 with a 28’. They are looking for a bigger trailer. How does your 6.4 tow that beast? Taken any hills or downgrades yet?

Thanks
Old 04-11-2019, 12:35 AM   #18

Nice trailer and congrats!!!
Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:28 AM   #19

The Buick Enclave won't even know it's back there. Maybe add an additional tranny cooler and LT tires, but other than that happy towing!

I'm sure you'll be happy with the new rig!
Old 04-11-2019, 08:18 AM   #20

Congrats for finally getting the new camper! Looks a lot like mine . Here is mine the day I picked it up back in July of '16.

Have a great time with it!
Attached Thumbnails
32BHDS Brand New.jpg  

2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Vasquez Kid is offline   Reply With Quote