Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2020, 06:05 PM   #1

Live and Learn - no warranty

Failed to think to ask the guy that brought my jayco skylark 2011 model from NY to PA for me to inspect it first. Guess chance in heck it could have happened while parked at the toyota dealer in black lot though the single pane oval glass in the door is creaking big time. I noticed when I first saw in once in PA that there was not mini blind on the inside of the oval window which seem weird to me. Guess now I know why.

Dealer offered a 4yr warranty for $2,500 and would not budge on price. Would have gotten it if they worked with me on delivery fee but they won’t. Anyway, time to call Jayco factory tomorrow to see what the damage will be...bet easily over $500.
skylimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:21 PM   #2

You might try calling a local glass company. Just to compare pricing.

A Smart phone is one that is NOT in your hand while driving!
64osby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:59 AM   #3

So the dealer sold you a trailer with cracked window or did it happen during delivery?

Anyway I think it will cost a lot less than the price of warranty to replace.
There is a recent thread on window replacement here.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:02 AM   #4

And there in lays the mystery. One would not think they would sell a unit with a hair line creak in the window. Rather, and this is just my guess, I wonder if having just that single pane created enough stress for it ti begin to break. I have not seen a single pane oval window in a jayco skylark before. Or guess I should say my 2012 skylark is a dual sealed window unit. This is a 2011 model skylark though figure both take the same window. My 2012 had a built in shade between the window panes as I recall.

It is what is it and figure the dealer won’t do anything to help pay to replace it. Plus the CO2 detector, though the tiny green is is on solid, makes a high hi pitch sound that will not stop even after reset. That for certain I would think was an issue when they sold the used unit I feel and they just did not do anything about it is my take. They cost $100 to replace based on price at rv shop I am at now.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:19 AM   #5

Did you buy this unit site unseen or did you physically look at the unit before you purchased?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylimit View Post
Failed to think to ask the guy that brought my jayco skylark 2011 model from NY to PA for me to inspect it first. Guess chance in heck it could have happened while parked at the toyota dealer in black lot though the single pane oval glass in the door is creaking big time. I noticed when I first saw in once in PA that there was not mini blind on the inside of the oval window which seem weird to me. Guess now I know why.

Dealer offered a 4yr warranty for $2,500 and would not budge on price. Would have gotten it if they worked with me on delivery fee but they won’t. Anyway, time to call Jayco factory tomorrow to see what the damage will be...bet easily over $500.

cheaper than $2500 bucks though.. unless there is allot more wrong with it...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:13 AM   #7

COVID thank me not. I am from florida thus could not enter into NY to pickup the rv else would’ve had to do a 14 day quarantine in New York. Had a service provider bring it over to PA for me. Just did not occur to me at the time to ask him to inspect it as well. My bad. So yes, purchased site unseen other then photos, none of which showed the front door window straight on. Anyway, it will cost $240 for replacement window (believe dual panel with blind inside it though on a 6 to 8 week back order. I can wait. Plus will call to schedule an appt now for install of window should they be running 6 to 8 weeks out for appointments.

These skylarks were a 2yr model year only thing jayco did so I am happy to get this 2nd unit even with the issues I have encountered. It cost $,8,045 out the door. Plus my $400 delivery fee plus the $240 window plus yet to know installation cost of it. At a Rv dealer now getting the fraction bar controller installed now so that is another $170 plus install cost. I am happy overall thus far. Just retired so tying to take things as they come. Stayed at Lake Erie PA rv park last night. Darn that is one BIG lake lol.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:25 AM   #8

sadly the warranties aren't all that handy because when you need work done especially now it will be at least 8 weeks... and then it will sit for another 4 weeks while they "work" on it... best to be handy in working on it yourself...

congratulations!!! Make sure you make the window water tight...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:30 AM   #9

Regarding the CO2 detector. That noise is happens to me when the battery is low.

Try plugging into shore power or place a charger on you battery and see what happens.

A Smart phone is one that is NOT in your hand while driving!
64osby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:43 AM   #10

Extended warranties don't cover glass - it is explicitly written in the Exceptions.

I copied them from the actual contract:
FOR ANY OF THE FOLLOWING COMPONENTS, REPAIR
COSTS, SERVICES, SUPPLIES OR PARTS REGARDLESS OF
CONSEQUENTIAL LOSS COVERAGE: BEDDTNG
ASSEMBLIES INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, BOX
SPRINGS, CONTROLS, HARDWARE, MATTRESS, PUMPS,
CUSHIONS, AND BLADDERS, BENT AXLES. BUMPERS,
BOWED WALLS OR CEILINGS, BROWN OUT/POWEd
SURGE, BRIGHT METAL PARTS, CANVAS, CABINETRY,
CABLE, CEILINGS, CARPET, CAULKING OR GROUTING,
CATALYTIC CONVERTER, COUNTERTOPS, DELAMINATION,
DISCOLORATION OF ANY MATERIAL, DOORS, FLOORING (wooD, HARD SURFACE AND RES|LtENT), FRAME,
FREIGHT, FURNITURE, GLASS, GLAZ|NG. GLUING
COMPOUNDS, HAZARDOUS WASTE REMOVAL, LIGHT
BULBS, MAINTENANCE SUPPLIES OR SERVICES, METAL
OR PLASTIC TRIM, NON-FACTORY INSTALLED AUDIO
SYSTEMS AND DISC PLAYERS, NON-FACTORY OR NONDEALER
INSTALLED COMPONENTS, PAINT AND COSMETIC
DAMAGE REPAIRS, PERSONAL COMPUTERS, RAMPS,
RAfiLES, ROOFING MATERIALS, SEALANTS. SHOP
SUPPLIES, STRUCTURAL DAMAGE, SQUEAKING,
PHYSICAL DAMAGE, SAFETY RESTRAINT SYSTEMS (AIR
BAGS AND SEATBELTS), SATELLITE AND TELEPHONE
WIRING, SHEET METAL, STORAGE, SIDING, TIRES, TUNE
UP, TOWING ATTACHMENTS INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED
TO, PINBOX, HITCHBOX AND GOOSENECK, UPHOLSTERY,
WALLS, WARPING OR UNEVEN FLOORS, WATER LEAK
REPAIRS (OTHER THAN PLUMBING), WHEELS AND
COVERS, VI'INDOWS, WINDOW SHADES, TREATMENTS AND
DRAPERIES, WOOD FRAMING, WOODWORK AND
MILLWORK.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:22 AM   #11

Most delivery companies take video and pictures BEFORE AND AFTER delivery to document damage and provide protection against them for damage prior to taking custody of the item.
Old 07-29-2020, 12:19 PM   #12

Without a pic, I don't know exactly what your window looks like, but the Lippert window with the shade inside is also sold aftermarket and is the 'standard' size for both of the doors on our trailer. It's on the interweb for approx. $100.00 from any number of suppliers. Square head driver and it's a 15 minute replacement and you get black tinted glass to boot.

https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-Compo.../dp/B07XPFTS9R

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:34 PM   #13

The door doesn't come with any kind of screen or blind like all the other windows. Mine has developed a short crack about 3/4" long.
Old 08-08-2020, 12:44 PM   #14

Quote:

I had the Same hidden defect when I purchased a used SUV toad with the windshield full of stickers “Discounted, Deal, best price ,as-is”
Took it for test drive then signed purchase papers and they bring it to the front door for me to take possession and guess what, it had a big crack through the length of the windshield. It was hidden behind the price stickers. And I was stuck with it. They said so. Never trust No One!!!!
Old 08-08-2020, 06:04 PM   #15

I hear you. Turns out the glass window is actually plexiglass (aka plastic). My friend pointed that out to me last night. I did send an email to my contact at the RV### dealer earlier this week.. Have not heard back. Guess I am out of luck. Heck it was hard just to get someone to call me back during the week I was too pick it up.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:27 PM   #16

Window

Where is the glass located? Could it happened on the road traveling home? Do you have vehicle insurance that might cover it if it was a towing incident?
ronnieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:12 PM   #17

It is the entry door. I had to leave the trailer at the Toyota dealer for a few days. It was not until I picked it up and stayed at an rv park that evening that I was looking the rv over then saw it. It is just a 1/8” thick oval shaped piece of flat plastic that had black sealer glue on the other side.

I have trailer insurance though don’t want to do a claim for this small item nor can I confirm if it was that way at the dealer or not. I would think something that thin might creak when towed but I am new at this stuff.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:35 PM   #18

Quote:
I hear you. Turns out the glass window is actually plexiglass (aka plastic). My friend pointed that out to me last night. I did send an email to my contact at the RV### dealer earlier this week.. Have not heard back. Guess I am out of luck. Heck it was hard just to get someone to call me back during the week I was too pick it up.
My 2012 Skylark door window is not plastic. It's made by KGP from tempered glass. I have the DOT number and ANSI numbers if you need them. If I can figure out how to post pics, I will.
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 03:38 PM   #19

Is this an actual oval door window, or are the corners just rounded? On my 2012 Shylark, there is nothing oval about the door window.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfuss View Post
Without a pic, I don't know exactly what your window looks like, but the Lippert window with the shade inside is also sold aftermarket and is the 'standard' size for both of the doors on our trailer. It's on the interweb for approx. $100.00 from any number of suppliers. Square head driver and it's a 15 minute replacement and you get black tinted glass to boot.

https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-Compo.../dp/B07XPFTS9R
This is not the window the poster needs.