Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2016, 10:36 PM   #1

Long Distance Trip

I'm heading out on a 2 week, 3200 mile RT, with a number of stops along the way. I have done a number of things to prep outside of what we normally do for a weekend visit to the lake. Does anyone have any good lists or lessons learned regarding a trip of this length? Things you you wished you had done beforehand. I am not an over planner, and I will be near decent sized cities throughout the trip, so I can always run to a Wal-Mart, Target or RV Dealer. However, I just want to make sure I am not missing something really obvious.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:29 PM   #2

Not a list, but check the air pressure and condition of your spare tire for your camper. Make sure you can actually get it out of it's rack.

Get a copy of the "Next Exit" book so you can see what services are located ahead of you on the thruways.

Make sure you GPS software is up to date and get a current year road atlas for planning detours should the need arise.

Plan rest stops and fuel stops so you don't run short of fuel.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:38 PM   #3
Site Team

Another not list item would be verify you don't have any prescriptions that need refilling during the trip or make provisions for doing it on the road.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:35 PM   #4

Make sure your over nighters include some downtime. In other words, don't stop late at night, try and sleep right away, then get up early. Give yourself a couple of hours to relax, eat, maybe watch a little TV, what ever. It makes a big difference to "recharge your personal batteries".

Make sure to pay all your bills and take care of other business that are due during and the week after that time period. That way when you return you don't have to scramble to get personal business done.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Make sure your over nighters include some downtime. In other words, don't stop late at night, try and sleep right away, then get up early. Give yourself a couple of hours to relax, eat, maybe watch a little TV, what ever. It makes a big difference to "recharge your personal batteries".

Make sure to pay all your bills and take care of other business that are due during and the week after that time period. That way when you return you don't have to scramble to get personal business done.
You bring up a good question about bill paying. How do full timers keep up with their bill paying? Have they gone totally green?
Deerlope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:31 PM   #6

Plan your gas stops. If you have a larger trailer it helps to plan out the larger fuel stations ahead of time.
crtc_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:50 PM   #7

Being an old map person by profession, and wanting a backup to the GPS, I always stop at a state's welcome center to pick up a road map if my current one is old. It also provides a nice break while I scope out the state's tourist brochures. Many welcome centers provide free coffee, and Florida has orange and grapefruit juice!

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerlope View Post
You bring up a good question about bill paying. How do full timers keep up with their bill paying? Have they gone totally green?
When we wintered in the RV I don't recall any problems with bills. I have the monthly ones, electric, propane, insurance, etc., set up on auto pay from our credit union. We put almost everything on one credit card and I pay it online, so a bunch from Lowe's, etc., aren't sneaking up on me. Right now I can't think of any that arrive in the mailbox.

Hope that answers your full-timer question. But two weeks shouldn't be a problem if you pick up and open your mail as soon as you get home.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerlope View Post
If I was in a position to full time, I'd do it all online as I already do now. You can also have your mail forwarded to near where you are staying.

For a 2 week trip I would not want to be bothered with paying bills during a trip. I just want to have fun.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:53 PM   #10

After retirement, my parents went on a 5 week trip to Alaska -- through the Canadian prairies, down through the BC interior to Seattle, and back via the northern states. They had left me in charge to house sit and gave me a few thousand dollars to pay their bills, etc. They put most of their purchases on credit, so it was kind of interesting to see all of the little towns where they stopped to get gas and the like when I looked at the bill. They were gone long enough and put on enough miles that they had to get the truck's oil changed during the trip.

2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49 is offline   Reply With Quote