Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-27-2018, 03:25 PM   #1

Looks like we've found one

We found one we liked today at our local dealer. We plan to call Monday to make a deposit.
I think we could have haggled the big boys a few hours away a bit more, but the local people came off enough on the price and have a good reputation.

It's the 26BH with the dune interior. We looked at several others, but we felt that this one was the best value for our needs and wants. It's large enough to be comfortable for us, but not so big or so many features to intimidate us.

I was hoping some 26BH owners could advise us on a few things.

1. We encase mattresses at home because of dust mite allergies. I can see that these mattresses aren't exactly thick like normal ones. Can I get away with a size down since they aren't as thick? Can I put a full size casing on the queen short and twin casings on the full bunks? (Hoping it won't be so blousy if I do this, but won't if it won't fit at all.)

2. The 26 bh has a retractable cord. I was thinking there was an electric well easily accessible where I could mount the Progressive EMS. It turns out that I would need to mount it either in the kitchen or under the bathroom vanity. Has anyone mounted one on the 26bh? This invasion of valuable storage space is making me lean toward the portable EMS.

3. Is there a good place for an inside trash can?

4. Where do you store dirty clothes and towels?

Any advice you can give us?

We have been reading, researching, and shopping for quite some time. We're excited.
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 04:53 PM   #2

Congrats on the 26BH. After much consideration, and having owned the same floorplan in another make 18 years ago, the 26BH was our choice, too. Ma, pa, and two cats.

Can't help on the EMS. Although, we've found and increased storage in our unit to the point where giving up a little in either of those locations wouldn't be a big deal to us.

We encase mattresses, too. I put a queen sized case around the bunk bed mattress. We took out the top bunk, and have the two mattresses layered into one, and wrap the extra case underneath. Works for us. Oh...that's the wife's bed...snore-zilla. I have a cheap, queen size inflatable mattress in the master bedroom. Super comfy, lightweight, and no need for a cover. If I had a regular mattress, I'd just tuck the excess underneath.

Our solution for the trash can was to get a plastic, flip-top one, in black. It goes in the little nook between the sofa and the kitchen counter. Just fits. It's handy enough, and when relaxing on the sofa with pillows stacked up against the exterior wall and feet toward the door, the trash can makes a good armrest. Yeah, it's the trash, but it has a push-button lid, and it's covered. Compromises must be made in a trailer.

We use plastic bags, and stuff them under the edge of the queen bed on the "far" side. Or, you could just drop them through the slot at the back of the sofa. We don't do that, because we modified the lower front of the sofa so we can keep a big plastic bin under there. It slides out across the floor, and holds most of our food in sort of a panty. We find it much handier than the cupboards.

We keep spare towels in the storage above the queen bed. Note that you can apply your fist to the panel in between the two cabinet doors and it comes out cleanly. Gives you easy access to the center portion of that storage area. Easy mod and perfect for towels.

We did a long list of mods on our's. One of our favorites was to install some ceiling track outside the bathroom. We found a nice, brown shower curtain to hang from it, so when you're standing at the sink, you're enclosed by the curtain. It has the affect of almost doubling the size of the bathroom. Most of the time, we leave the bathroom door wide open and just use the curtain. You get out of the shower, and don't feel like the door is smack in your face. Just makes the area bigger for toweling off, etc.. I mentioned this idea here before but response was lukewarm, When people actually try it in our trailer, they really like it. I found some lightweight aluminum track online along with the hangers and stuff. Didn't even have to modify or sew the shower curtain.

I lowered the towel bar behind the toilet, and put in another medicine cabinet right above it. I had to disable the fan switch that's on that wall...easy. Now, you just use the switch that's already in the ceiling.

I added another towel bar on the wall facing the toilet. Now we have his and her's towel bars. The new bar is not in our way.

The toilet paper holder is sort of in the way, particularly when you're getting out of the shower. It shares a thin wall with the storage area under the bunks, so I plan to recess it into the wall one of these days.

We couldn't find a place for a paper towel rack in the kitchen. At least, nothing that we really liked. So, we put it between the sink and the medicine cabinet in the bathroom. Like it a lot. We keep the kleenex box on the top of the medicine cabinet.

Oh, and we removed the refrigerator from the storage area under the bunks. I can see where it might be of use to a lot of people. Grab your favorite stuff as you lounge outside, or have snacks for the kids. Those aren't really pluses for us, and the fridge is on AC, so stuff will get warm when we don't have a hookup (often) or when we travel down the road. We took it out and took out the little partition wall that separates it from the storage are. Now, we have a lot more storage area, and we've doubled the the effective size of the outside opening to the storage area.

The back panel to the dinette seat (by door) is pretty much made to fall off if it receives any abuse. Or nasty looks. It's just stapled on. Easy enough to add a 3 or 4" metal bracket to better hold it to the seat. You'll have a couple screw heads showing, but it'll be secure.

We did many more mods, but these are the mods that apply specifically to the 26BH. Good luck.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:37 PM   #3

On your dinette you have 2 doors, on one you could convert it into a drawer ( your 1 st. mod ). Would be easy to make a box and attach the door panel to it and make 2 rails for it to slide on, less than a days work to cut and assemble. If you stain and varnish then it's a little more but in the long run you'll be happy you did it. The waste basket I got at the grocery store.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 01-27-2018, 05:43 PM   #4

The rails are real simple, just left and right sides. The factory uses a piece of plastic for a runner to make it slide easier. The drawer is the full length of the dinette seat so you have 3' of easy to reach items.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 01-27-2018, 05:56 PM   #5

I previously owned a 2013 Jayco 26BH. I hardwired a Progressive Industries EMS behind the power control panel beneath the fridge. I pulled the panel out and in the back behind the panel; there was just enough space to install the EMS on the vertical board in the back. The 30 amp power cord came into the same space. It was a tight fit, but with patience it worked out fine.
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote